Melbourne Football

Player Songs/Chants

Buddy Farah

Apparently RWU are supposed to be in the North Terrace, 1) Never heard or Saw them. 2) Could we have the Tatanglar with them. Eg. Ohohohohohoh Lalalalalala Yarraside terrace boys chanting all the way hey (switches to them) Ohohohohohoh Lalalalalala RedWhiteUnite terrace boys chanting all the way hey. (Back and Forward.)

Apparently RWU are supposed to be in the North Terrace, 1) Never heard or Saw them. 2) Could we have the Tatanglar with them. Eg. Ohohohohohoh Lalalalalala Yarraside terrace boys chanting all the way hey (switches to them) Ohohohohohoh Lalalalalala RedWhiteUnite terrace boys chanting all the way hey. (Back and Forward.)

No mate, there are no active groups in the North END. A lot of the RWU lads actually stand and chant with us.

I'm so confused RWU are saying they are in the north and Yarraside are saying no!?

No, that is quite an old post and they had plans to create a second active section in the North END but that has not eventuated.

Eventually we will have active areas at both ends but that day may still be a little while off.

Sorry, just re-posting with song links

Title: Eli Babalj

Tune:

- The Muppets

Eli Babalj

Do-do-da-do-dah

Eli Babalj

Do-do-da-doo

Eli Babalj

Do-do-da-do-dah, da-do-dah, da-do-dah, da-do-da-do da-do, da do-da-doo

(Repeat)

Title: Her-nan-dez

Tune:

- Abba

He was waddling on the pitch that night

In blue and white

Her-nan-dez

There was no food left for you and me

He ate for three

Her-nan-dez

(Repeat both verses)

Title: Curtis Good

Tune:

- James Brown

He is good

Do-da-do-da do-da-doo

His name's Curtis Good

Do-da-do-da do-da-doo

He is good

Do-da-do-da do-da-doo

His name's Curtis Good

Do-da-do-da do-da-doo

So good, so good !

He's so fuckin good !

Do do dah do doo!

(Repeat whole tune)

Not much different lyrically to the song already in existence, but a much better tune!!

Title: My Marrone

Tune: My Sharona - The Knack

When you're running down the wing,

Down the wing,

Is it just a matter of time

Marrone?

When you whip your crosses in,

Your crosses in,

You're gonna set up another goal

Marrone

M-m-m-my Marrone!

M-m-m-my Marrone!

Think the top two here are great. The others are alright but honestly think our terrace would struggle with so many words in a chant lol. Think the original Marrone chant is better as well.

RWU isn't down there. I actually took part in the experiment and it flopped and we scattered when moving back. I was only down there 1 week and a few others not much more than that. All the guys I know that went down there have moved back and sit in the active area or GA.

As for RWU, not really sure what they do these days other than the fanzine.

main point about chants is that it needs to be slowed right down. no one can understand whats being sung. also agree that more spontaneous chants, about whats actually going on in front of us, should be welcomed, I shout random things at every game, maybe one other guy in the ground picks up on it and joins in, but thats all i'm happy with, it will grow. credit to the guys who get on the mic and attempt to get ppl up and singing, u's do a great job, but for me,thats a european thing and in britian it gets laughed at. we don't a mic to get a chant going. theres times when we need to get on the back of opposition, their fans, the ref, the bastard ACG stewards, (absolute pricks), or give some of our own players a bit of praise but we don't, it seems we only sing from a select few chants.

if people want to sing, get up, loud and proud and fucking sing

there is so many different people and cultures on yside, alot of ppl seem embarrassed about standing and singing, fuck that, live a little and get rowdy

FOV

If you're going to sing your own shit in a pack of 3 or 4, stand in the north end, if you're in Yarraside, we chant and stand as ONE. Simple as that.

Mate calm down a little. they're good blokes. They are just lads who like to sing for their club as well. We are all here for the same reasons. The more chants and songs the merrier and the lads up the back have had some good ones. We just need them to help out the bloke down the front on the mega by letting him know what it is they are singing and not over the top. Its a hard job down the front, trying to get everyone to participate etc.

So lets be a bit more constructive rather than decisive huh?

It was a similiar conflict in supporter mentality that ultimately led to Victory's active supporter base being fractured into the North and South terraces. Now, we've all seen what a ruckus they cause at our home derbies, chanting in unison, but at their home games there is a undying dislike for eachother which hinders them from their full potential.

Something we should avoid, but as of lately it's seeming likely, unfortunately.

In regards to people justifying disrespecting the capo by saying "He'd get laughed at in England"... Yarraside from the very start has tried to incorporate a fair blend of both European and British supporter styles, in order to create a vibrant, loud and respected home end: the only way this will work is if people co-operate with the gameday instructions of senior members of Yarraside.

If you're just there to hurl shit at opposing players and referees, I suggest joining cadete's feral Geelong "terrace". Not saying there's anything wrong with giving it large, just that there is a time and place, and mid chant insults directed at the capo is NOT the time nor is it the place.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 4

Mate calm down a little. they're good blokes. They are just lads who like to sing for their club as well. We are all here for the same reasons. The more chants and songs the merrier and the lads up the back have had some good ones. We just need them to help out the bloke down the front on the mega by letting him know what it is they are singing and not over the top. Its a hard job down the front, trying to get everyone to participate etc.

So lets be a bit more constructive rather than decisive huh?

Yeah, fair call mate.

So if you want to sing it's yarrasides way or no way. Who are these leaders, I did not vote for them. But I am told to follow them. Heaps of good chants were posted on both the old RWU and yarraside forums but these supposed leaders picked what they wanted and we are told to sing. Ok but if someone tries to do a chant that is not on the playlist or if the man with the mega has been quiet for a while someone may use one of the picked chants to try to rev up the team when they are down and the leaders and the man with the mega and others down the front look at each other and don't sing. I like to react to the play and chant accordingly. It's like a DJ you have to know what to play at the right time and some of the chants that are started aren't the right ones for that time in the game. You want people to join in you must also do the same otherwise you will turn people away and cause unrest which is starting to happen. Their has to be a balance.

• Like 1

But yet you are happy to claim the tifos, flags, banners, match day organisation as your own because they are there every time you get to the game. So, you don't have to do fuck all, but you get to claim the hard work of others as your own, but yet you deliberately choose to disrespect these people?

A certain amount of respect is due to those who put an extended amount of work, time and money into the terrace. We are happy to put in the hard yards, but you are expected to pull your own weight on matchday in return.

It has been stated before by many different people: the lads at the front are ALWAYS open to chant suggestions, or any other suggestions on how things should be ran, within reason of course.

Also: if everyone is given free reign on the terrace to start a chant it does this:

1. Makes us look like a AFL cheersquad because we end up belting out "All we want is a decent referee", "You are a Wanker", and even at derbies "One team in Melbourne"

2. Undermines the authority of the amigos and capos

3. The terrace would become a rabble with different sections trying to be heroes, and chanting over eachother.

Edited by marteaux
  • Like 3

I don't claim anything as my own. I am a MHFC supporter not a yarraside member. I don't care about the flags etc. Just the little ones that the kids have are good enough for me. That is something you have chosen to do. I have not disrespected anybody. I have merely made an opinion. I sing the chants most times when they tie into the game that I am watching. Other people have made suggestions about chants etc on these forums but are told this is what we are doing get on board. Fine I will still travel down to Melbourne to watch my team and I will stand in the active area and support my team. Until the active area gets changed to the yarraside area I will sing and yell stuff at the opposition and enjoy myself. If when you have to be a member of yarraside to chant and support MHFC I will move out of the area. As I mentioned before it works both ways. Most of the chants that are started by other supports are usually your own chants but you won't sing because you have not started them. This happens when it's been quiet for a little while as mentioned in my early post. I would have thought that you would have been happy that people are singing chants and getting involved when things had been quiet.

• Like 2

1. People genuinely need to chill out a bit. You should be coming to the football to have fun, not to look for things to complain about.

2. I like some chants more than others, and some chants I like didn't get past the keeper. Big deal. The important thing in football is NOISE. If you really loath a tune for some particular reason, fine, don't sing it. But don't yell out and hang shit on people who have invested a lot of time into building the terrace. It's juvenile.

3. If we do get to the point of having multiple terrace groups, I hope we are all mature enough to make it work and not turn it into some bullshit rivalry that will fracture MHFC fans.

4. I've no real dramas with spontaneous chants and I don't think the topic warrants a slinging match, providing a level of respect is shown to the efforts to coordinate those in the terrace that like the coordinated stuff.

Edited by Cammo
  • Like 2

1 - There is no such thing a 'a Yarraside member'. You stand in the active area? You stand in the Yarraside.

2 - Yarraside's leaders are more than happy to listen to suggestions. See us at the pub, at the match, or afterwards at the pub.

3 - Tigerou812, we were more than happy for you lads to come down, grab the megaphone for a bit and inject some of this spontaneity that you crave. If we're going to sing, we want everyone to sing. With the megaphone, that makes it a lot easier. Without it, it's just a few blokes up the back having a yell.

4 - We all follow the same team, so just relax. Everything we do and say should be supporting our club.

• Like 4

3. If we do get to the point of having multiple terrace groups, I hope we are all mature enough to make it work and not turn it into some bullshit rivalry that will fracture MHFC fans.

I sincerely hope that won't happen. Smacks of the whole 'Den' and 'RCC' thing the Roar have going. I remember thinking how ridiculous that looked when I first saw it on TV.

In my experience, there isn't anyone who seems unapproachable. I got a decently warm welcome the first time I met people that we're qualifying as a leader here.

They're not jealously guarding the megaphone. I imagine leading the chants for so long would make you welcome someone else taking over for a stretch.

• Like 1

Yarraside needs a bit more spontaneity,

Would give whoevers on the mega less to worry about and Involve more people as its reacting to the according play or position of the match.

At the same time whenever someone is using the mega noone else should try to start another chant. Period

The leaders down the front stare at you blankly when u guys up the back start a chant because we cant here wat u are singing. Thats why there is a mega. You were invited down to the mega during the match so ppl could learn wat u were singing but you didnt want a bar of it. Imo if you werent willing to simply put in that little effort to go down the front then imo you dont really have much to complain about

alot of people say that things should be done their way cos its better, but when it comes down to actually doing something and helping they are always no where to be seen

Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

The leaders down the front stare at you blankly when u guys up the back start a chant because we cant here wat u are singing. Thats why there is a mega. You were invited down to the mega during the match so ppl could learn wat u were singing but you didnt want a bar of it. Imo if you werent willing to simply put in that little effort to go down the front then imo you dont really have much to complain about

alot of people say that things should be done their way cos its better, but when it comes down to actually doing something and helping they are always no where to be seen

Note: This is the first Re-Quote I have ever done.

Edited by cadete

hahaha, I think there's been a mix up and the "people up the back" are the wrong group. We are all reacting to statements about different people and situations. I know what you are talking about when offering the mega. I could see it from where I was standing, while standing next to tigerou812. Totally different group of people and not near us. We couldn't even hear what they were saying.

Tiger is more referring to the stand up stand up chant. There has been a number of times that people up the back, to the side, even in GA it's come from, when there has been a corner or free kick. It's started up and then it appears, probably not the case (but just looks like it) that the front goes quiet then goes to start another chant. That's what has some people confused and a little frustrated.

It's as if the front goes, we didn't start it, don't do it. Probably not the case, it's just how it looks and there the grumbling we hear. People kinda have this expectation that when he have a corner or free kick or really attacking that the stand up or hearts one comes out. When another chant comes out in those situations it seems out of place and that's when people get frustrated. Not saying it's done on purpose and not always the case (I could see buddy waving and trying to get people up with on of the stand up that started in GA) but that's impression people get so it's worth keeping in mind.

As for yelling at the capo, starting totally random chants, totally different guys, we're not condoning that. He/we were talking more about the stand up and hearts on, or generic common chants as fillers between main chants (not that we have done any).

• Like 1

Seems some wires are crossed, as it is not a case of 'oh shit, we didn't start it so we'd better crush it'. It's more a case of 'people in GA are standing up, let's see if we can get them to sing something else while they're on their feet'.

The last thing we want is a quiet home end, it's just a shame that it takes a corner kick at our end to get everyone in the south stand involved.

• Like 2

Understandable, we were just putting it out there in general terms that that's impressions that people are getting up the back as something to think about to hopefully get a balance.

That's where things got crossed, we are up the back, but more up the back than the other groups of guys haha. We are thinking people up the back WTF !! I then our statements are getting related to someone else that kinda put our statements out of context ;)

These things will happen Moving on...... ;)

hey sorry i haven't done a intro but i felt i had to contribute a little something first but i think this might sound alright, this song

when the woah part kick's in at 2.02 might kick in earlier but yeah where im up to in the vid atm start with that and insted of sunday bloody sunday maybe eli eli babalj?? or whoever mite fit in, or start with the players name first vice versa visa vee corncorndinally.

like the

ooooooooah ooooooah woaaaaah ooooooo

oooooooooah oooooooah woaaaaaah oooo

ELI ELI BABALJ ELI ELI BABALJ

ELI ELI BABALJ ELI ELI BABALJ then the

oooooooooah oooooooah woaaaaaah oooo and maybe during the woah hold flags in the air or something dunno just and idea.

• Like 3

hey sorry i haven't done a intro but i felt i had to contribute a little something first but i think this might sound alright, this song

when the woah part kick's in at 2.02 might kick in earlier but yeah where im up to in the vid atm start with that and insted of sunday bloody sunday maybe eli eli babalj?? or whoever mite fit in, or start with the players name first vice versa visa vee corncorndinally.

like the

oooooooooah oooooooah woaaaaaah oooo

ELI ELI BABALJ ELI ELI BABALJ

ELI ELI BABALJ ELI ELI BABALJ then the

oooooooooah oooooooah woaaaaaah oooo and maybe during the woah hold flags in the air or something dunno just and idea.

Great suggestion Mate. Would love to give that a go tonight.

Edited by ToonHeart