Melbourne Football

The future of Gold Coast United

True Until I die

Hey, im making a banner for saturday similar to this:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/football/furys-loss-shows-ffa-has-no-idea-20110305-1bioe.html

It will start with FFA: ... Do you guys have any thoughts on phrases I can use, or otherwise I will have to use FFA SAVE GCU

Idiot genetics showing through, the cold toast don't have anything to do with us you sstupid whore.

A couple of whispers around that Lowy wants a 12 team competittion next season. Pretty outlandish.

GCU to be retained, with West Sydney and Canberra...?

"In an exclusive interview with Fox Sports FC, Lowy said that Canberra's bid met a lot of the requirements for an A-League licence and FFA would look to get the club operating in time for the start of the 2012-2013 season.

Lowy also revealed that he still held out some hope for Gold Coast United to continue playing in the national league after meetings were held with potential investors last week."

Edited by LR9

Seems highly unlikely.

In fact more than highly unlikely, having GC in there is highly unlikely. FFA giving licences to 2 new clubs at once seems unlikely to me as well, combine all those unlikelinesses (yeah I made a word up) and its highly improbable to say the least.

Would be good though, should help with the next TV deal. And hopefully it means 6 more games for each team, 33 games is a good amount of games, 27 is not enough. In b4 FFA gonna FFA and for some reason make a 12 team comp 22 rounds or some random number like 30.

im bloody sick of all of this mean attitude and critisism. It is very easy to just spend your days making fun of other peoples posts but there are some people on there who are actually posting things that are improtant to them and/or contribute to the terrace. Yes we may no always be correct, but that doesnt mean swearing and going all out to critise. Constructive critisism is whats important. Now please if you want to, continue to critisise, go!

• Like 1

im bloody sick of all of this mean attitude and critisism. It is very easy to just spend your days making fun of other peoples posts but there are some people on there who are actually posting things that are improtant to them and/or contribute to the terrace. Yes we may no always be correct, but that doesnt mean swearing and going all out to critise. Constructive critisism is whats important. Now please if you want to, continue to critisise, go!

????

Cuz, who is that girl in your sig?

Francoise Boufhal

Idiot genetics showing through, the cold toast don't have anything to do with us you sstupid whore.

bit extreme Dragan T

too true.....

"Boufhal auditioned several times for a role in the show but was deemed 'too sexy', until eventually a part was made for the curvaceous actress.Her body grew very fast. At the age of 16 she became 'very curvy' and her chest size had increased rapidly. (At the age of 11, she was 28B. By the age of 14, 28D. By 16 she was her full size.)"

I would much rather GCU stay in for next season and beyond, FFA need to pump money into them to heavily engage the community over the next 6 months.

Then at the conclusion of the 2012/13 season, after stability has been forged, try find the club some owners.

But currently, as soon as possible, FFA need to grant Canberra and West Sydney a license for the 2013/14 season. Giving them both 18 months to set-up the franchise, rather then rushing it and creating a 6 month abomination.

Edited by LR9

FFA need to pump money into them

Well there's your problem...

I would think national team, supporting stable clubs, executive bmws etc. would take priority over a dead club.

Also:

But currently, as soon as possible, FFA need to grant Canberra and West Sydney a license for the 2013/14 season. Giving them both 18 months to set-up the franchise, rather then rushing it and creating a 6 month abomination.

Enjoy your tv deal.

• Like 1

AyeCee is spot on, FFA dont have the money to be propping up GC and they would never see a return on that money so they shouldnt.

FFA killed GC by taking it away from Palmer, finding new investors is going to be very hard.

Honestly, rushing in West Sydney is the best option given the current situation FFA has created. They should have just let Palmer have his licence.

Well there's your problem...

I would think national team, supporting stable clubs, executive bmws etc. would take priority over a dead club.

As Palmer said on TWG, FFA executives get paid 5 million per year to do their job, which they dont do well....

give all of them a pay cut and keep GCU!

AyeCee is spot on, FFA dont have the money to be propping up GC and they would never see a return on that money so they shouldnt.

FFA killed GC by taking it away from Palmer, finding new investors is going to be very hard.

They should have just let Palmer have his licence.

Palmer was ruining the game, who knows how ugly it could have got......

HOWEVER, prefer to see someone have a sook than loosing another A-League club...

The truth is Palmer was killing GCU. There is no way he intended to have a team next year. If he did he would have signed some players, starting with Brown. He was clearly on his way out but the FFA decided, like an angry bouncer, that he was taking too long and making too much noise getting to the door, so they showed him out by the balcony instead.

Will be a tough gig getting a new team up on the coast now. You have the damage Palmer has done, plus the well known difficulties of having a professional sports team on the Coast (everyone's successful model, the Titans, are now broke and it seems are angling to relocate to PNG).

I see Palmer's latest is complaining about the costs for kids to play. He's right of course, but with Clive the trick is to look at his actions, rather than his words. What did he do for the footballing kids on the coast when he actually had some authority? Put up the prices at his games and introduced a crowd cap. Nice one Clive.

He keeps going on about how much money he has, why not use some of it to reduce the costs of kids playing on the coast, instead of just whinging about it. The FFA might make mistakes but we all know they are better than the dodgy rabble that used to run Soccer Australia. God help football in this country if that mob get back in charge.

What did he do for the footballing kids on the coast when he actually had some authority? Put up the prices at his games and introduced a crowd cap.

Tried to create a financially viable club given the exorbitant stadium rental the Qld government charges and the lack of revenue available from the A-League*

He keeps going on about how much money he has, why not use some of it to reduce the costs of kids playing on the coast, instead of just whinging about it.

What? Why dont you use your money to reduce the costs of kids playing on the coast instead of complaining about Palmer not doing it.

He isn't a charity and its not his responsibility to do that.

There is no way he intended to have a team next year.

Thats why he had already organised with his LNP mates to have stadium rental reduced when they come into power in a landslide at the Qld election which is in like a week?

Not even really trying to defend Palmer, but there actually isnt that much bad stuff you can say about him. Stadium cap and high ticket prices are shit, no one wants to see that, and you could say that by removing stadium cap and having lower ticket prices they would have been more profitable due to higher attendances, but thats just speculation. Billionaire businessman who would have had research done into it vs opinion of random person on forum, I think I know which one wins.

Edited by Tesla

you could say that by removing stadium cap and having lower ticket prices they would have been more profitable due to higher attendances, but thats just speculation.

Honestly he's probably right about the crowd cap - saves him money. All football lovers hate it though -totally against what the game is about and when he brought that in that's when he lost me. I don't have any "advice" for him on how to make money running a club on the Coast- with the sole exception that I would say hire someone who knows what they are doing (not reassign an existing employee, which is what he did), so I certainly don't claim to know more than him about a business.

In regards to the charity thing, well I guess what i was getting at is its better to do something about things that bother you rather than just ask someone else to fix them, - he was the one complaining about the costs, (I just grimace and pay the fees), when it was in his power to do something positive and with a bit of imagination he could have come up with fairly cheap ways to do it whilst generating some publicity, but he didn't.

In regards to the stadium costs, yeah they are ridiculous. If he can get Newman's government to lower them then well done. Still think if he planned to be around next year he would have signed more key players- I mean let James Brown go?.

I have some sympathy for his plight at GCU but it seems to me that he is happy to damage the game if he thinks it will help him get what he wants.

Apparently a supporters trust to hold 25% of the club, where the hell is a Gold Coast supporters trust going to get that money? Unless you have like the 50 people who would be interested in it put in like 50k each lol.

hahaha yeah when i read that i was like wait wut?

Only thing I can think of is the other investors are covering some of their equity in the hopes that having a supporters trust will help their bid get the go ahead. But then again, it would make the investors decision to invest in Gold Coast even more weird as it makes it even more likely they will get a significant return on their investment.

Edited by Tesla

Only thing I can think of is the other investors are covering some of their equity

You must surely be right about that, nothing else makes sense. I would go so far as to suggest that the investors might be covering ALL of the supporters equity, seeing as its described as "held in trust".

If this story is actually true a bid that included the founder of International Quarterback with connections to big European clubs such as AC Milan would surely have some credibility with the FFA and thus the Gold Coast saga has taken another turn.

As to the whys of it, who knows. Why does anyone buy a football club? Certainly not to make money that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...