Melbourne Football

Arab money

Tesla

I was thinking he might come to us in the twilight of his career... now I'm not so sure!

He has said he will finish his playing career at Preston Lions, so I assume once he is done getting his in Qatar, he is heading straight to them with no A-League in between.

As I was saying in the other thread, Porta as well.

Basically any Australian that can play football can get good money in Asia, and the ones that are half decent can get some serious Arab Money in the Middle East.

Not really sure how bad this is for the NT, Qatari league has improved significantly last few years and they did have a team win the last ACL, so maybe its n ot so bad. But the Saudi and UAE leagues are worse and our players are going there as well.

Can't blame these guys for taking the ridiculous sums of money on offer, a footballer's earning potential is quite limited. Also it's not a bad move to the Middle East for a defender, due to the influx of quality South American attacking talent that is lured by the petro-dollar. They'll be facing up to a much higher quality opponent week in, week out than they would in the A-League.

• 1 month later...