Melbourne Football

How do we play our part - MHFC Index

hardsy

Guys, we have seen the new membership campaign, but how do we increase our membership numbers. WE are looking for your ideas on how to increase not only our members, but our home attendances. Im looking for your suggestions over the next week or so. You can either add your suggestions to this thread, or if you want to post your opinion on the MHFC Index site email me @ dhards@mhfcindex.com

I am looking at starting a 'Target 10,000' campaign on our website and need your suggestions and opinions

Cheers

Hardsy

Give every member who signs up before the start of the season 2 free tickets (in the same area as membership holder GA/Cat A, etc) for the first 2 home games of the season.

With a bit of luck they bring 2 mates along, and they decide to sign on as members if they enjoy the festivities. Has worked very well for Adelaide United in the past.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think that the best way to increase membership is the simplest as well as the hardest - we have to win, in particular we have to win at home. I've bought lots of people to games and they are all impressed with the ground, the atmosphere and the game, but rarely with the result. We don't just want to increase our membership, we want to retain them as members. Other things though that could be helpful:

Better seating reserved for members at derby games (even if some seats remain empty). Last season MV fans could and did sit in the best seats at the active supporters end.

Better food for members in AAMI Park. I know that there's a stadium deal to supply crap food but wouldn't it be good to have multicultural food representing the communities of each team member. Invite those communities along to supply the food and even some music. Imagine a Brazilian samba band playing during the game :P

Special jersey offers for members only.

At the moment what we call membership is really little more than a season ticket to AAMI Park home and NYL games.

Category A and B seats are currently exposed to the weather, yes I know that it's an all-weather sport but given that it rains most home games, I spent so much time sitting in the general admission stand unde cover that it made little sense not to downgrade my season ticket from Cat B to General Admission - why pay more for the 'privilege' of getting wet?

• Like 2

At the moment what we call membership is really little more than a season ticket to AAMI Park home and NYL games.

Category A and B seats are currently exposed to the weather, yes I know that it's an all-weather sport but given that it rains most home games, I spent so much time sitting in the general admission stand unde cover that it made little sense not to downgrade my season ticket from Cat B to General Admission - why pay more for the 'privilege' of getting wet?

Hards, there are many excellent ideas and comments here: http://mhfcsupporters.com/topic/486-membership-numbers-and-how-to-increase-them/

In particular I draw your attention to Warrior's comments about addressing different demographics.

I fully endorse Bela's comments above. I would go so far as to suggest that we should use the term 'member' only if and when supporters get the opportunity to take a financial stake, albeit small, in the Heart. For the present we should use the term 'season-ticket holder.' As for the seats, there's probably not a lot Heart can do about it, but it certainly does not make sense that the so-called best seats are actually the worst when it rains. Season 1 was an unhappy one in that respect.

Just some thoughts.

Getting the count to 10,000 is fine but we need to concentrate on getting people to games first, making sure it's a great experience

and then following up with membership. And playing entertaining! Once they see and feel the atmosphere then you might get membership happening.

Ideas:

1/ Pre-game events for kids next to AAMI e.g. Meet and greet with some MHFC players, officials, BBQ and meeting place for friends,

http://www.lagalaxy.com/gameday/soccerfest

2/ More social events to meet the players - probably closer to the city than La Trobe Uni - far easier to get to

3/ Advertise on radio like SEN - I think Andy Maher is a Heart supporter

4/ MHFC Smartphone App - events, upcoming games. Messages offering membership, discounts at pubs, etc

5/ Engage with local football clubs especially the juniors who are our future members.

6/ 2 free tickets with yearly membership (like above). 10-15% discount for 2 year membership plus 10 free tickets.

On point 5/, I think it would be great if we had a van decked out in Heart colors that got out on the weekend to local junior games

and engaged/worked with with the locals and club. Offer giveaways, tickets to our matches, hold mini-coaching sessions, etc.

I emphasize, 'work with the club' rather than just come along asking for money.

So we need a range of approaches that will grow the club sustainably.

• 2 weeks later...