Melbourne Football

2015/16 fixture

Kinnibari

The 2015/16 fixture was released this morning. Our first home game is a derby at AAMI Park before our first men's home game. Our other 5 home games are at C.B. Smith Reserve in Fawkner.

Melbourne City FC Fixture (All times AEDT)
Round 1 - Sydney FC, Sunday 18 October, 2015. Kick-off 5:30pm (A)
Round 2 - Melbourne Victory, Sunday 25 October, 2015. Kick-off 2pm (H)
Round 3 - Perth Glory, Saturday 31 October, 2015. Kick-off 7pm (A)
Round 4 - Canberra United, Sunday 8 November, 2015. Kick-off 2pm (A)
Round 5 - Adelaide United, Saturday 14 November, 2015. Kick-off 4pm (H)
Round 6 - Brisbane Roar, Sunday 22 November, 2015. Kick-off 2pm (H)

Round 7 - bye
Round 8 - Melbourne Victory, Sunday 6 December, 2015. Kick-off 3pm (A)
Round 9 - Newcastle Jets, Sunday 13 December, 2015. Kick-off 2pm (A)
Round 10 - Perth Glory, Sunday 20 December, 2015. Kick-off 4pm (H)
Round 11 - Brisbane Roar, Monday 28 December, 2015. Kick-off 4pm (A)
Round 12 - Western Sydney Wanderers, Sunday 3 January, 2016. Kick-off 2pm (H)

Round 13 - bye
Round 14 - Sydney FC, Saturday 16 January, 2016. Kick-off 2pm (H).

Edited by Kinnibari
  • Like 1

One game at AAMI.. 5 at Fawkner

Round 7 and 13..?

Both byes, I'll edit that in.

The w-league' shortened season is annoying, it's not very well balanced. We have one derby but Sydney have two, and Canberra United have no games in Melbourne. I actully think our draw is pretty good, considering.

Would have liked more games at AAMI before the men. Who is going to turn up at Fawkner?

Yeah but casual fans won't necessarily turn up three hours before the men kick off for 5-6 hours of being at the football. And if there's not a big crowd the atmosphere at larger games can be dead. Did you go to Victory v Canberra at Etihad last year? Not good. Plus the grounds are expensive and I feel that money could be better used elsewhere.

Edited by Kinnibari
  • Like 1

Can someone please explain to me the logic of each team having two byes? I would understand it if, like the A-League etc, it ended up balancing out so every team played the opponents an equal number of times, but the way they've done it they just randomly pick two teams you aren't going to see more than once in the year. I could understand it maybe if there was a busy schedule but there's no time at which teams have to play more than once in a seven day period. Even in England, where the league is derided for only having 8 teams, they still play 14 games plus having two cup competitions (one of which including a 5-round group stage) and yet the season is about as long as the W-League season. Surely it can't be because the FFA doesn't believe women are up to playing that many games?

Can someone please explain to me the logic of each team having two byes? I would understand it if, like the A-League etc, it ended up balancing out so every team played the opponents an equal number of times, but the way they've done it they just randomly pick two teams you aren't going to see more than once in the year. I could understand it maybe if there was a busy schedule but there's no time at which teams have to play more than once in a seven day period. Even in England, where the league is derided for only having 8 teams, they still play 14 games plus having two cup competitions (one of which including a 5-round group stage) and yet the season is about as long as the W-League season. Surely it can't be because the FFA doesn't believe women are up to playing that many games?

it seems the FFA is committed to this short W League season, which I'm sure is all about costs. Even with 8 teams you still only had 12 games. now with 9 teams, a bye becomes part of the fixture & I guess they didn't want some teams to have 1 bye and others to have 2.

as to playing mid week well Australians aren't used to the concept of mid week football (afl players whinge if they "only" get a 6 day break, softies that they are) & thus attendance would be minimal, which would just add to the financial situation, in addition most of the players are amateurs (not even semi-pro) so travelling interstate mid week every week (remember these teams are long distances apart) would mean they could only work part time, which would surely cause a number of players to immediately retire from this level.