Melbourne Football

2012 Hawaiian Islands Invitational

Buddy Farah

Good effort by the youth+VPL team, none of our players looked overawed although clearly they were used to that much pressing and to have so little time on the ball. They maintained their defensive shape well although sat a little deep. Poor Zac Walker was too isolated up front. Goalie was very good I thought. I notice that the commentators really took a long time before they acknowledged (in a roundabout way) that this was essentially a youth team. Clorado Rapids looked pretty good, on a level with Roar.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is there going to be another tournament in hawaii next february?

Apparently not. According to Scott Munn's tweets of a while ago, JD is looking for an alternative tournament in which Heart can participate.

On my wish list is a regular tournament along similar lines, but which visits the participating clubs in turn. So, say, every four years it would be held in Melbourne. Establishing links between clubs seems like a good idea to me, especially for the development of young players, who could be loaned out for all or part of an overseas season and then return to their home club.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3