Melbourne Football

the season it would have been......

alexiano

Thought I'd just share this in a single thread of all that had gone wrong and what impacts its had. 

Think of it as butterfly effects 

Season 13/14 had the makings of greatness. 

• engelaar signed

° HK signed

° believe campaign had everyone pumped

° solid Friday night games to win over new fans

° ever present banners on website (they still persist)

° JA has the squad HE built along with 1 year in after season of hell

° new chants and banners in terrace

° new social features added to iOS app

° new third kit idea with member names

° support by club for away match discounts

° revamped stadium layout putting GA on TV side

° panel of coaches to assist JA including JA and Nus

° academy

Feel free to add those I missed along with where things went pear shaped. 

Edited by alexiano

If you think we have a squad good enough to challenge for the top spot, or top 4 spot even, you have rocks In your head. How many of our first 11 players would be a lock in another teams starting line up?

I said before the season we would fight it out for the last finals spot at best, I can dig up the post, I was practically crucified...

If you think we have a squad good enough to challenge for the top spot, or top 4 spot even, you have rocks In your head. How many of our first 11 players would be a lock in another teams starting line up?

I said before the season we would fight it out for the last finals spot at best, I can dig up the post, I was practically crucified...

Pretty much this.

Don't know how our squad can be rated highly. We don't have any strikers apart from a maltese midget who couldn't hit the side of a barnyard.

Our captain is highly injury prone, despite the fact he can play well.

Kisnorbo can't keep his feet down.

Behich has regressed. Dugandzic has regressed since being injured.

Murdocca has always been an average player. Williams and GogGol are still flash in the pan players.

Weilart looks like the only real credible signing, with perhaps Miglioroni. Aside from them, I don't see much else upside in our current squad.

Sorry, how many people were jumping all over themselves to sign Beauchamp, Topor Stanley, Bridge, Cole, etc. when WSW did? Players clearly aren't the problem.

What I'm saying above isn't to absolve Aloisi of being responsible for how the sides playing.

But i think it's fair for questions to be asked of the list. It's clearly not as good as what we thought during the preseason.

Pretty much this.

Don't know how our squad can be rated highly. We don't have any strikers apart from a maltese midget who couldn't hit the side of a barnyard.

Our captain is highly injury prone, despite the fact he can play well.

Kisnorbo can't keep his feet down.

Behich has regressed. Dugandzic has regressed since being injured.

Murdocca has always been an average player. Williams and GogGol are still flash in the pan players.

Weilart looks like the only real credible signing, with perhaps Miglioroni. Aside from them, I don't see much else upside in our current squad.

See, a lot of these issues have reared their heads under Aloisi though.

Mifsud has played at higher levels than this and scored goals, Kisnorbo was a quality Championship defender for years, Behich was not regressing under JVS, injury or not Mate was much better before JA came as well. Murdocca is average but he's a serviceable A-League player and would get games for most clubs. I won't disagree on Williams and Golgol though.

When I saw our squad on paper before the season (with a fit Engelaar obviously) I was confident we could compete for the minor premiership and do well in the finals.

Thought I'd just share this in a single thread of all that had gone wrong and what impacts its had. 

Think of it as butterfly effects 

Season 13/14 had the makings of greatness. 

• engelaar signed

° HK signed

° believe campaign had everyone pumped

° solid Friday night games to win over new fans

° ever present banners on website (they still persist)

° JA has the squad HE built along with 1 year in after season of hell

° new chants and banners in terrace

° new social features added to iOS app

° new third kit idea with member names

° support by club for away match discounts

° revamped stadium layout putting GA on TV side

° panel of coaches to assist JA including JA and Nus

° academy

Feel free to add those I missed along with where things went pear shaped.

Re-signed Westpac.

Signed a new youth squad after what was promoted as a very thorough scouting campaign

Everything seemed to be heading in the right direction off the field, then it went pear shaped on the field. Even that wasn't the end of the world, except inexplicably the board seemed to freeze in the headlights, just when we needed them to show some leadership.

The season is gone of course, but the club can still get back on track fairly easily; just need some LEADERSHIP.

• Like 1