Melbourne Football

General News/Views/Discussions

MrAiDaN66

I thought i would make a thread for general news, views or discussions that people have. Pretty self explanatory..

Ill start off with a topic that affects pretty much the whole population of Melbourne that uses public transport. Ever since they put up barriers on the westgate bridge to stop people from jumping off, there has been a massive rise in suicides/suicide attempts. Just in the last week on two separate days, two people jumped in front of a train at North Williamstown station and also one on the watergardens/sunbury line. These two people survived. (thankfully)

Then just 20 minutes ago another person has been hit by a train near South Yarra station. 

I really think something must be done, whether the government spends shitloads of money on barriers/higher fences for train lines or putting train lines underground (it does not matter) something must be done about the number of suicide attempts/on trains. (Yes, you could argue these people will just find another way to commit suicide, but we still need to try and stop it from happening).
Also, not being a cunt, but people (including myself) get pissed off when trains are being delayed or cancelled because of this. 

Who do we blame? and what do we do about it? 

On another note: Metro is fucking shite.

971197_465173976890683_1587918129_n.png

But seriously, in response to the above question of what should be done regarding suicide, i think the answer is more in combatting and assisting those with mental illness than any sort of change regarding train barriers etc.

More money spent on Mental Health from the government, including Mental Health first aid as part of the curriculum extension at high schools- or at the very easiest the provision of funding for more counselling positions at all high schools. Funding to make the provision of bulk-billing psychiatric care and increasing the ability to access those services with increased funding for translators as well is absolutely critical considering a significant enough number of people who suicide are refugees with limited perhaps less than perfect English skills. Improved knoweldge of the general population of the early signs of a mental illness is the only way we can stop this epidemic.

As someone who has a lot of personal experience with mates with depression, and unfortunately a few who have comitted suicide, the accesibility to resources for a lot of people is frankly shite. Made worse by the reluctance of young males to seek help in the first place considering the taboos and constant popular culture reminders of the importance of being manly and dealing with it, hardening up, etc.

Such a tragedy. Anyway, carry on.

Edited by Che

More money spent on Mental Health from the government, including Mental Health first aid as part of the curriculum extension at high schools- or at the very easiest the provision of funding for more counselling positions at all high schools. Funding to make the provision of bulk-billing psychiatric care and increasing the ability to access those services with increased funding for translators as well is absolutely critical considering a significant enough number of people who suicide are refugees with limited perhaps less than perfect English skills. Improved knoweldge of the general population of the early signs of a mental illness is the only way we can stop this epidemic.

put perfectly imo

Most men shoot/hang themselves and thats almost impossible to stop. Like che said its the root of the issue that needs to be attacked. I guess thats an obvious statement but suicide statistics in this country are way too high, especially youth suicide.

Drugs, alcohol and most recently the explosion of gambling only makes the issue worse. 5/6 years ago id go into a TAB and it was empty (besides the typcial degenerate addict in a pie stained flaney). These days I see kids in school uniform lined up and not only sports betting but chucking bets on the races. I mean wtf is happening with society when school kids are standing next to grown men holding tickets watching a horse race. Of course not everyone gets hooked on gambling and fucks their finances but the more they gamble and the younger they start the higher the chances of them ending up in a hole. I watch the footy and listen to the radio all week and fuck me im over the sportsbet/sporting bet/centre bet/TAB/Waterhouse ads, you can't escape these fucking grubs. What the government did recently wasn't enough in my opinon, these betting agencies need to be held responsible for the explosion in gambling and therefor gambling issues. They should be forced to finance more helplines/groups and even be taxed more. If mining companies can be taxed more then gambling agencies can be.

Regarding trains and barriers its all too easy to head down the road and find an easier access point. Unfortunatley I think its impossible to stop people killing themselves, however I think its possible to stop people thinking its the only option.

• Like 2

There are way too many factors and reasons that cause suicide, it is impossible to stop it from happening, i agree with heartfc and che, you must look deeper into the reasons for suicide, have a serious look at the legal and social effects, then fix it up. Teaching at a young age will help, but we need to educate and help people all the time.

As Heartfc said " its possible to stop people thinking its the only option." 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...