Melbourne Football

*SPOILERS* - Game of Thrones Episode Discussion

Duchess

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I don't buy into "the mad King was mad cause bran theory"

the mad King was mad because incest and the ptsd from Summerhall

I agree. It's just one possible implication. Who knows what else Bran could've influenced? There are theories that Benjen, who saw young Hodor spazz out, understood what happened (somehow) and thus went north of the wall to find Bran when he does get into trouble.

7 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I agree. It's just one possible implication. Who knows what else Bran could've influenced? There are theories that Benjen, who saw young Hodor spazz out, understood what happened (somehow) and thus went north of the wall to find Bran when he does get into trouble.

Well that's just ridiculous. Everyone knows Benjen is Daario Naharis.

Khaleesi rides off on a horse and comes back on a dragon a few hours later. Wtf happened to the horse? She's either abandoned it out in the valleys to starve and die or the dragon has eaten it. Hardly the behavior of the queen who is meant to protect the innocent. Shape up Khaleesi.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Khaleesi rides off on a horse and comes back on a dragon a few hours later. Wtf happened to the horse? She's either abandoned it out in the valleys to starve and die or the dragon has eaten it. Hardly the behavior of the queen who is meant to protect the innocent. Shape up Khaleesi.

Stannis Baratheon kills his brother and sacrifices his own daughter for the good of the realm = Bad guy.

Daenerys lets her brother die, kills thousands, lets her horse go off to die because why the fuck not = Hero.

13 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Stannis Baratheon kills his brother and sacrifices his own daughter for the good of the realm = Bad guy.

Daenerys lets her brother die, kills thousands, lets her horse go off to die because why the fuck not = Hero.

I have always held the theory that she will get to Westeros and be hated. I was thinking that last night when she gave her speech; nobody is going to love a conquorer who comes and destroys their homes.

16 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Stannis was clearly modeled on an Ancient Greek Hero, which means he meant to look both good and bad like how in all their Ancient Dramas the Greek's hero's is shown to be still a mere human by having a fatal flaw leads to their death. (Obviously Shakespeare followed a similar plot for Macbeth).

In his case his flaw was falling for the temptation of the Red Lady, committing adultery and using her Fire Magic to kill his own brother... which sees his whole fleet roasted in flames and finally Renly's most favourite servant kill him.

I liked last night's episode... I guess mainly because it was all new territory for me with all of it being post the books, I found the whole Religion stuff in the Capital interesting. I also liked the return of confidence in the Lannisters.

Edited by cadete

45 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I have always held the theory that she will get to Westeros and be hated. I was thinking that last night when she gave her speech; nobody is going to love a conquorer who comes and destroys their homes.

Yeah I'm starting to lean more and more towards that. Which is a good thing imo because her just waltzing in and taking over with no problems would be shit.

44 minutes ago, cadete said:

Stannis was clearly modeled on an Ancient Greek Hero, which means he meant to look both good and bad like how in all their Ancient Dramas the Greek's hero's is shown to be still a mere human by having a fatal flaw leads to their death. (Obviously Shakespeare followed a similar plot for Macbeth).

In his case his flaw was falling for the temptation of the Red Lady, committing adultery and using her Fire Magic to kill his own brother... which sees his whole fleet roasted in flames and finally Renly's most favourite servant kill him.

I liked last night's episode... I guess mainly because it was all new territory for me with all of it being post the books, I found the whole Religion stuff in the Capital interesting. I also liked the return of confidence in the Lannisters.

Yeah I know but I still love Stannis tbh. And I actually thought it was a good episode too. Felt a lot more like something that would be in the books. Plus happy to see Benjen Stark tbh

Speaking of Benjen Stark, in the first episode that the show was trying to convey that left of the Stark Males were... Bran stuck in a Tree, Rickon about to be murdered by Ramsay Bolton.

Now as a Hypothetical if Bran stays as a Mystical Being outside of the world of nobility, and Rickon is murdered (He has not been so I would say its likely he won't) then seeing as he was killed by the White Walkers and his watch is over this scenario would means Benjen would the rightful heir to Winterfell.

He would also be a man that the North would def get behind against the Boltons, as he is a honourable respected warrior who also does not have any ties to some of the errors Robb Stark made in regards to his bannerman.

He at least has a better claim than Jon Snow... even if John was Ned's son which we all know he is not.

1 minute ago, cadete said:

Speaking of Benjen Stark, in the first episode that the show was trying to convey that left of the Stark Males were... Bran stuck in a Tree, Rickon about to be murdered by Ramsay Bolton.

Now as a Hypothetical if Bran stays as a Mystical Being outside of the world of nobility, and Rickon is murdered (He has not been so I would say its likely he won't) then seeing as he was killed by the White Walkers and his watch is over this scenario would means Benjen would the rightful heir to Winterfell.

He would also be a man that the North would def get behind against the Boltons, as he is a honourable respected warrior who also does not have any ties to some of the errors Robb Stark made in regards to his bannerman.

He at least has a better claim than Jon Snow... even if John was Ned's son which we all know he is not.

You rennounce all claims when you take the black, so would be difficult.

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

You rennounce all claims when you take the black, so would be difficult.

True, I had forgotten that...

However such a law does not really matter considering that the Ramsey's took Winterfell by conquest not too mention Robert not that long ago taking the actual throne by Conquest.

When Henry the Seventh finally ended the War of Roses (Due to Richard the Third's brave but utterly stupid decision to charge at The Battle of Bosworth) he knew his links to the Lancaster claim to the throne were rather tedious. 

He therefore decided knowing he had the Nobles on his side he simply claimed the throne by conquest despite having a bloodline linked to the throne.

So Benjen could do as such IMO.

Edited by cadete

Seems the show is hinting at Sansa ending up being the leader of the North, but that could just be a trick to surprise us with Benjen.

What happened to her cousin's army, still on their way I assume? They are there because of her really so that helps her case. 

10 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Cause he a (half) white walker. In the books cold hands couldn't enter the three eyed crows cave and I'm fairly sure the same magic applies to the wall, hence why the nights King hasn't gone that far south yet 

Unless bran wargs into him... 

Unless bran goes through the wall first with the mark of the nights king... 

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Seems the show is hinting at Sansa ending up being the leader of the North, but that could just be a trick to surprise us with Benjen.

What happened to her cousin's army, still on their way I assume? They are there because of her really so that helps her case. 

I dont think this Benjen stuff will happen at all...

I just find it amusing that he has both a strong heredity claim and the ability to take back Winterfell due to him being Pre-Robb Stark.

Sansa was annoyingly George Martin like (Because that would be so easy and not delay shit) when she said she did not want Littlefinger's Knights of The Vale. It also annoyed me considering she has never been back to Winterfell in the books and therefore sees him as a protector in them more than anything else.

Sansa is looking most likely to reign at Winterfell at this point, with Ayra probably heading back over the sea to become some sort of Joan of Arc like character for the impending battles to come. 

2 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Can see Arya killing everyone at the temple of the many faced god.

On another note: many people are saying that a much loved character will come back from the dead. Heaps of people are saying the Hound.  

Stone heart could be incoming too, they mentioned the BWB last ep. Hard to see how they're gunna wrap this up in 23 more episodes 

1 hour ago, cadete said:

I dont think this Benjen stuff will happen at all...

I just find it amusing that he has both a strong heredity claim and the ability to take back Winterfell due to him being Pre-Robb Stark.

Sansa was annoyingly George Martin like (Because that would be so easy and not delay shit) when she said she did not want Littlefinger's Knights of The Vale. It also annoyed me considering she has never been back to Winterfell in the books and therefore sees him as a protector in them more than anything else.

Sansa is looking most likely to reign at Winterfell at this point, with Ayra probably heading back over the sea to become some sort of Joan of Arc like character for the impending battles to come. 

Yeah I remember she said she doesn't want the Knights of the Vale but I assume they're still going to rock up, probably at a crucial moment as always seems to happen in this show. 

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Stone heart could be incoming too, they mentioned the BWB last ep. Hard to see how they're gunna wrap this up in 23 more episodes 

The show does go slow for periods of time and then move very quickly at other times. We've clearly beein a slow period most of this season but I assume shortly it will start moving along rapidly. 

2 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Lady Stoneheart's role is solely to fuck the Frey's. I'd also like to see this. And yes, BWB rallying the commoners.  

Whats happened to the Baratheon armies? Both the penis smoker and the child killer?

Ned stark mentions to Jon that he will tell him about his mother the next time he see's him. Either Jon dies again, or Ned is also brought back to life carrying his head around lol.

17 hours ago, Deviant said:

Lady Stoneheart's role is solely to fuck the Frey's. I'd also like to see this. And yes, BWB rallying the commoners.  

Whats happened to the Baratheon armies? Both the penis smoker and the child killer?

Ned stark mentions to Jon that he will tell him about his mother the next time he see's him. Either Jon dies again, or Ned is also brought back to life carrying his head around lol.

Renly's army largely went over to Stannis except for the Tyrells who in the end switched sides to the Lannisters (The largest part of his army).

Stanis then lost half his men at The Blackwater and rest were slaughtered in snow at Winterfell... I guess what are left are now in the North are just trying to survive as Hedge Knights. As said before ever since he used Fire Magic to kill Renly, Stannis became the WSW of GOT in terms of choking.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cadete said:

Renly's army largely went over to Stannis except for the Tyrells who in the end switched sides to the Lannisters (The largest part of his army).

Stanis then lost half his men at The Blackwater and rest were slaughtered in snow at Winterfell... I guess what are left are now in the North are just trying to survive as Hedge Knights. As said before ever since he used Fire Magic to kill Renly, Stannis became the WSW of GOT in terms of choking.

So basically, the BWB aren't really a force full of trained knights. They might have picked up a couple of the stragglers from stannis' army but are largely full of commoners. Makes me want to see Lady Stoneheart more and more. Her introduction in the books was awesome. I hope they recreate that chapter.

35 minutes ago, Deviant said:

So basically, the BWB aren't really a force full of trained knights. They might have picked up a couple of the stragglers from stannis' army but are largely full of commoners. Makes me want to see Lady Stoneheart more and more. Her introduction in the books was awesome. I hope they recreate that chapter.

Yeah well it seems like Lady Stoneheart will appear and if so she may be able to link the growing BWB to the Tully and Stark causes...

This could leave a possible alliance of The Jon Snow Wilding Amy (Much more organised due to their devotion to Snow) The Blackfish Tully forces, the Knights of The Vale, Stark Loyalists in the North and the BWB all as possible allies against the Lannister/Tyrell/Bolton/Frey Alliance.

Things are looking a lot more even for a long time where the Balance of Power stands... if someone can lead these forces against essentially a Boy King thing will really even up.

ESP when you also have Dorne and the Ironborn with their own Anti Iron Throne agendas that will cause dramas for Tommen... plus the possibility of them providing assistance to Daenerys. 

Edited by cadete

2 minutes ago, cadete said:

Yeah well it seems like Lady Stoneheart will appear and if so she may be able to link the growing BWB to the Tully and Stark causes...

This could leave a possible alliance of The Jon Snow Wilding Amy (Much more organised due to their devotion to Snow) The Blackfish Tully forces, the Knights of The Vale, Stark Loyalists in the North and the BWB all as possible allies against the Lannister/Tyrell/Bolton/Frey Alliance.

Things are looking a lot more even for a long time where the Balance of Power stands... if someone can lead these forces against essentially a Boy King thing will really even up.

ESP when you also have Dorne and the Ironborn with their own Anti Iron Throne agendas that will cause dramas for Tommen... plus the possibility of them providing assistance to Daenerys. 

A battle of four armies. North, Kings landing, dragon tits and nights king.

I still think either Jon Targaryen or Dragon tits will end up dead. Probably Jon... because, well, Valar Morghulis. 

7 minutes ago, Deviant said:

A battle of four armies. North, Kings landing, dragon tits and nights king.

I still think either Jon Targaryen or Dragon tits will end up dead. Probably Jon... because, well, Valar Morghulis. 

I always assumed half way through the books that Jon once revealed as a Half Stark/Half Targaryen and Dragon Tits would end up ruling together from Kings Landing or Jon in the North and Daenerys in the South... this theory is probably not as strong now.

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

Personally think that chapter will be how they end the season tbh

14 minutes ago, cadete said:

I always assumed half way through the books that Jon once revealed as a Half Stark/Half Targaryen and Dragon Tits would end up ruling together from Kings Landing or Jon in the North and Daenerys in the South... this theory is probably not as strong now.

I don't see why that cant work. He never said that he wants to rule anything. That could work well... 

7 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Personally think that chapter will be how they end the season tbh

I was thinking that too. But too much is happening and quickly, wouldn't surprise me if they reveal her earlier.

Just now, Deviant said:

I don't see why that cant work. He never said that he wants to rule anything. That could work well... 

All these Dragon Types are inclined to fuck each other... if anything Jon and Dany would be less incestous than their tradtional shenagians. 

3 minutes ago, cadete said:

All these Dragon Types are inclined to fuck each other... if anything Jon and Dany would be less incestous than their tradtional shenagians. 

He doesn't have to fuck her, just be aligned with her. he could be the warden of the north. But what happens to all bran and Ricoh. Fucking complicated. More people need to die. 

56 minutes ago, Deviant said:

He doesn't have to fuck her, just be aligned with her. he could be the warden of the north. But what happens to all bran and Ricoh. Fucking complicated. More people need to die. 

Bran is tied to all the Religious/Magic shit...

FFS the Religious shit is an imense mind fuck in itself: You have the "Old Gods", "The Lord of Light", " and the "Many Faced God", "The Seven Gods" and the stuff the Maesters do... some of which have revealed some power and many which are linked to each other.

Maybe Bran can bring all that shit together as some supreme religious figure... however I doubt the Fat Bastard has enough time prior to death to explain this shit as it probably requires its own book like how Tolkien wrote stuff to explain this kind of stuff for Middle Earth after he wrote "The Lord of The Rings".

As for an excess of living Starks to be lords... if they do win the war in the end (Allied with whoever) such a war would bring with it a few vacant major lordships for them to be granted like how Robert gave Stannis Dragonstone for his efforts in helping defeating the Targaryens.

Sansa will rule the North, Jon will be the North's equivalent of Kingsguard, I don't think Rickon will live (otherwise shit gets complicated and he's forced plotwise to do stuff when there isn't much time left for the story), have no idea where Arya will end up, Bran will live in the Winterfell weirwood.

1 minute ago, jeffplz said:

Sansa will rule the North, Jon will be the North's equivalent of Kingsguard, I don't think Rickon will live (otherwise shit gets complicated and he's forced plotwise to do stuff when there isn't much time left for the story), have no idea where Arya will end up, Bran will live in the Winterfell weirwood.

I reckon Rickon would be dead by now if he was going to die... a lot of high born characters can continue on without being given much of a mention ESP in the books. A good example is that the Tyrells oldest two sons who is only ever mentioned in passing - It's only in the show that Loras is the heir to Highgarden most likely to keep things more simple for viewers.

I think Rickon will probably somewhat unexpectedly prove himself a capable fighter/commander at young age like his father and Robb before him in assisting Jon and Co in the winning back of the North for whoever ultimately becomes Lord or Lady of Winterfell. Once Winterfell is won if you look at the Tully's in the book the only current survivors are The Blackfish, Edmure and apparently there is a brief mention of a second son early on in the series.

I can see Edmure dying as his hardly likeable or capable, the second son who does not even have a name being excused for easily in the book's storyline (On the TV show he has never been mentioned anyway) and the Blackfish will be old and has never much for the duties of being a lord hence he has spent most of his life away from the Riverlands. This leads to the next in line for the Lordship being Rickon on the female line of Catelyn.

Or as I said prior he could be given another Lordship due to his efforts in the field... anything from the Bolton's original lands to even The Twins as if the Starks win the war you would assume these families will be oblierated and their lands confiscated and needed to be given to someone.