Melbourne Football

Vince Grella RETIRING

MHFC19

Has apparently tore his calf will be announced tomorrow.

Source:

“@davutovic: Vince Grella has retired from football - tore his calf on Sat. Official announcement tomorrow @MelbourneHeart @Socceroos”

EDIT: confirmed by club.

“@MelbourneHeart: NEWS | Melbourne Heart FC confirms Vince Grella will retire from professional football effective immediately. More news to follow. #goheart”

EDIT: via http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Grella-retires-from-professional-football/59362

Melbourne Heart FC confirms Vince Grella will retire from professional football effective immediately.

Grella, 33, leaves football as one of the country’s most decorated ever internationals, representing the Qantas Socceroos on 46 occasions, including two FIFA World Cups and over a decade spent in the Serie A and English Premier League.

“After 17 years of professional football my body has told me it’s enough,” Grella said.

“I need to thank John Aloisi and the club for giving me a final chance to continue as a professional.

“I felt the club’s culture was the perfect place for me to be and it’s frustrating I won’t have the opportunity to contribute to it and to John’s first steps as a coach.”

While disappointed that Grella will not be in a position to make an on-field impact, Aloisi is proud of the Club’s decision to give Grella one final chance.

“Vince has been a brilliant contributor to Australian football for a long time,” Aloisi said.

“He deserved an opportunity to see if he could resurrect his career and we are proud that we were able to give him that chance.

“We always knew it was going to be a risk, but for me, it was certainly a risk worth taking.”

Melbourne Heart Chairman Peter Sidwell added that Grella’s dedication to the Club continues to be exemplary.

“The Club will always be grateful to Vince for putting his life on hold and sacrificing so much personally and financially in order to assist this club,” Sidwell said.

“It’s the sort of sacrifice that we need from every person within the organisation.”

EDIT (sorry for making OP so big too) via http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-hearts-vince-grella-will-retire-tomorrow/story-fndmchp2-1226563619428

VINCE Grella has played his final professional game of football following a horror run of injuries that has prevented him from regaining full fitness,

The midfielder tore his calf in his Heart debut, in Saturday’s 1-0 loss at Western Sydney Wanderers where Grella was a second half substitute.

It’s believed a shattered Grella told Heart players at training this morning.

Grella signed a one-year deal with Heart last October in an attempt to rekindle his career, having been ravaged by injury since joining Blackburn Rovers in 2008.

Contrary to the belief that he was commanding marquee wages, his deal was worth $100,000 and his desire to return to full fitness was underlined by the fact he paid personal trainer Tim Schleiger out of his own pocket.

The 33-year-old thought he had turned the corner after an intensive two-month program.

Vince Grella makes his first appearance in his Melbourne Heart uniform during an intraclub match at the Latrobe University sports grounds in Bundoora, Victoria. Picture: Mark Stewart Source: Herald Sun

Grella made 46 Socceroos appearances and played at both the 2006 and 2010 World Cups.

The Melbourne-born midfielder was one of the most popular Socceroos of the golden generation that broke a 32-year drought to qualify for the World Cup.

Grella will officially announce his retirement at a press conference tomorrow.

Grella made his NSL debut for Canberra Cosmos in 1996 before playing for Carlton, Empoli, Parma, Torino and Blackburn.

Edited by MHFC19

So basically Grella cost us $3500 for every minute he contributed to Melbourne Heart. Do the math for his 29 minutes.

What a joke by the club to take this risk on him, and the club would have known alot more about his physical shape than

we do because they always hide this sort of stuff from us. Personally i think it was just JA being a good mate to Grella and

giving him $$$. What an fucking awful 48 hours for the club!!

Ps JA will probley sign Craig Foster up for a couple hundred thousand if he gets the sack from FoxFootball

Edited by millm103

So basically Grella cost us $3500 for every minute he contributed to Melbourne Heart. Do the math for his 29 minutes.

What a joke by the club to take this risk on him, and the club would have known alot more about his physical shape than

we do because they always hide this sort of stuff from us. Personally i think it was just JA being a good mate to Grella and

giving him $$$. What an fucking awful 48 hours for the club!!

22 Minutes ($4613/min)