Melbourne Football

Does the casual culture exist in the A-League?

danepak

Does the casual culture exist in the A-League at all?

It's obviously huge in the UK and has been for lots of years.

Unfortunately being casual in the UK is more or less a uniform, showing that you're up for a fight with the opposing teams casuals too (I haven't got a problem with this, if both parts are keen - up to them, if they want to kick each others heads in - as long as innocent ones aren't involved).

In my native Denmark, you can be a non-violent casual and I'm sure it's the same other places around Europe.

That's not saying that you haven't got violent casuals in Denmark, because you certainly do.

Some of you might not know what a casual is.

It's groups of supporters who dresses up in expensive designer gear like Lacoste, Stone Island, Aquascutum, Fred Perry, CP Company, Paul Smith etc. and not to forget...the retro Adidas trainers.

Not only are they stylish...they're effing loud too and in the UK/Europe often the most fanatical ones (who are there for EVERY away game as well).

Edited by danepak

Yes there is a huge casual football culture in which many fans come and go to games when the team is winning and will never be seen when the team is down or out.

The problem with YS is that there is far too many people sitting in the 3 bays surrounding YS who sit down and don't stand up and chant or create any atmosphere, guys at the front, they do an amazing job

If you're talking about what I'm thinking about; yes - we have a bit of a casual culture. It's not as strong or as predominate as in Europe though. We're a little more civilized and calm.

In reply to toogood18's response; not everyone has to stand. Whilst it's a requirement of the Yarraside dominated area's of the stadium; other admission holders who have seats in the bays beside aren't required to join in. I know it'd be nice but you can't force things onto people.

Edited by stephaniexo

Of course it exists, it may not be a big percentage of fans nor is it of the quality that we see in Europe, but it definitely exists to some extent.

It'd probably be more fair to call them "dressers", rather than Casuals.

On gameday at least, many of them probably only own the 1 or 2 polo's, kicks, trousers, etc. and for the rest of the week they are parading around in their "regular" get-up.

I was not going to respond to this post – But before it gets worse.

The culture of the clothes does exist in Australia, however the brands that are worn and such are far more limited than in Europe and back in the UK.

This is all my opinion:

But most people who desire to dress this way in Australia at games will wear things like Adidas Gazelles/Sambas and re-released Londons in lesser expensive colorways.

Alongside this mainly Darker coloured Fred Perry/Ben Sherman Polos. Whilst similar coloured Lacoste and Lyle and Scott Polos are seen less so alongside the odd Burberry Scarf.

This is the standard Casual Uniform in Australia.

This is seen very slightly in Sydney and with a very (Almost unidentifiable) limited amount of supporters in Adelaide, Brisbane and Newcastle.

It is a much more common look on the MV North Terrace/South Terrace also seen on occasion with the Big Parka Hood over the head look from the same sort of brands and some more expensive ones like Fjallraven and Stone Island.

A lot of clubs have no such dressing culture at all such as Gold Coast, Central Coast and Perth.

I have not been to Wellington to have any real knowledge of any scene there if they have one.

The Yarraside End probably has the highest percentage of supporters who dress the casual way and is also the most colourful and varied.

A lot of the same stuff mentioned is worn by the majority (Usually in brighter colours) but also there is a far bit more of a 80’s Tennis flavour with brands such Fila, Sergio Tacchini and Ellesse being seen often too.

80’s styled Cagoules are also seen at bit from the likes of Peter Storm, Adidas, and K-Way popular.

Whilst also a much greater variety of footwear such as rarer Adidas shoes and other noted Terrace shoes as well from the likes of Puma, NB, Diadora and Nike.

As far as the violence is concerned the one thing I can say is the dressing def does not go hand in hand with any such activity in Australia.

Besides that I am unqualified to really answer the question - In regards to Violence.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

I understand that. I have my good days and my bad. Some days I can stand & I'm totally fine. Other's after 75 minutes I'm starting to strain and need to sit. If I could foresee the future and tell what the day would be like I'd move accordingly but I can't in all fairness. I do though; move across to a free GA seat if possible; so I'm trying. I don't see why all this fuss has been put up because of a tiny problem. I'm cool with it, I move - so you guys should be just as cool with it.

Wow... so if I have a hip-problem and sit I'm classified as that? Thanks a lot.

If you buy a ticket in Bay 17 and sit in it, you wont be able to see the game. If you then complain to people that you cannot see the game, you're an idiot. At a typical home game there are ~25,000 other seats that you could sit in, ~24,000 of which have a much better view than Bay 17. Hence my initial statement stands (dont mind the pun). As much as it is your right to sit, the 3 active bays allow the ticket holder the privilege to stand.

If you buy a ticket in Bay 17 and sit in it, you wont be able to see the game. If you then complain to people that you cannot see the game, you're an idiot. At a typical home game there are ~25,000 other seats that you could sit in, ~24,000 of which have a much better view than Bay 17. Hence my initial statement stands (dont mind the pun). As much as it is your right to sit, the 3 active bays allow the ticket holder the privilege to stand.

I get where you're coming from but the above posts should explain everything if you read them.

& yes Tommy; If I sit it's for like 40 seconds to collect anything I have then I'm out of there.

I was not going to respond to this post – But before it gets worse.

The culture of the clothes does exist in Australia, however the brands that are worn and such are far more limited than in Europe and back in the UK.

This is all my opinion:

But most people who desire to dress this way in Australia at games will wear things like Adidas Gazelles/Sambas and re-released Londons in lesser expensive colorways.

Alongside this mainly Darker coloured Fred Perry/Ben Sherman Polos. Whilst similar coloured Lacoste and Lyle and Scott Polos are seen less so alongside the odd Burberry Scarf.

This is the standard Casual Uniform in Australia.

This is seen very slightly in Sydney and with a very (Almost unidentifiable) limited amount of supporters in Adelaide, Brisbane and Newcastle.

It is a much more common look on the MV North Terrace/South Terrace also seen on occasion with the Big Parka Hood over the head look from the same sort of brands and some more expensive ones like Fjallraven and Stone Island.

A lot of clubs have no such dressing culture at all such as Gold Coast, Central Coast and Perth.

I have not been to Wellington to have any real knowledge of any scene there if they have one.

The Yarraside End probably has the highest percentage of supporters who dress the casual way and is also the most colourful and varied.

A lot of the same stuff mentioned is worn by the majority (Usually in brighter colours) but also there is a far bit more of a 80’s Tennis flavour with brands such Fila, Sergio Tacchini and Ellesse being seen often too.

80’s styled Cagoules are also seen at bit from the likes of Peter Storm, Adidas, and K-Way popular.

Whilst also a much greater variety of footwear such as rarer Adidas shoes and other noted Terrace shoes as well from the likes of Puma, NB, Diadora and Nike.

As far as the violence is concerned the one thing I can say is the dressing def does not go hand in hand with any such activity in Australia.

Besides that I am unqualified to really answer the question - In regards to Violence.

Very informative, thanks.

Don't think Wellington has got a casual culture either.

Mind you, I've only been to a couple of games in the 'Caketin', before I moved to Melbourne.

Good to hear that it's not all scarfers in the A-League.

This reminds of the "Groovin the Moo" festival I went to a couple of years ago. The final set was The Living End, as you'd expect, a fairly physical mosh pit. But this stupid woman in a wheel chair decides she wants to watch the band from the middle of the pit. Then she stands up!!!!! WTF! So now, there is 1000 people jumping around and there is a woman trying to stand still in front of her wheelchair! She wasnt moshing and she did mind getting knocked around, so why the fuck didnt she move? She was a fuckhead. It was not the right time or place for her to be sitting obviously.

• Like 2

i just like football. i dress, and will continue to dress in what i always have. i don't like adidas, or spending more than a fiver on a polo shirt..... each to their own

But that's not what this topic is about?? He's asking if the casual culture exists in Aus.

It does. If you were to look across certain members/sub-sections of the YSide you would see that 'dressing' is alive and well. Perhaps even thriving/being revived by the younger generation. The K, the K, the KGB.

i just like football. i dress, and will continue to dress in what i always have. i don't like adidas, or spending more than a fiver on a polo shirt..... each to their own

I'm the same, If i'm at the game i'm always either in a jersey, or just whatever plain clothes i have and a scalf. But if someone wants to wear casual then as you say each to their own!

As for casuals as many have stated it does excist in a small extent within the A-league.

Edited by Hammerhead

I'm not even going to bother quoting that reply; but this is bullshit. Please don't label or box me into a category because of the attire I wear. If I have an opinion about casual culture and it's existence although miniscule in the A-league I have every right to post it in a public forum. If you have a problem with me - personal or not, try messaging me through instead so that this forum can keep rolling and stay on topic. I'd be more than happy to reply in a civil manner though there.

Back on topic for the sake of others.

Unfortunately being casual in the UK is more or less a uniform, showing that you're up for a fight with the opposing teams casuals too (I haven't got a problem with this, if both parts are keen - up to them, if they want to kick each others heads in - as long as innocent ones aren't involved).

I have a problem with this. Not so much the dressing up , but any insuation of violence is bad for our game that is already on the outer with the media.

In the last year we have made big inroads into making the game more attractive for all , from better competition down to crowd behaviour.

It doesnt take much to turn this around.

Have a look at our cross town rivals, who had the worst name , worst behaved fans last year and even went on strike.

This year they have not thrown 1 flare, and now make fun (via chants) of other crews that screw up. (you might not here that up the yarraside end)

I'm not even going to bother quoting that reply; but this is bullshit. Please don't label or box me into a category because of the attire I wear. If I have an opinion about casual culture and it's existence although miniscule in the A-league I have every right to post it in a public forum. If you have a problem with me - personal or not, try messaging me through instead so that this forum can keep rolling and stay on topic. I'd be more than happy to reply in a civil manner though there.

Back on topic for the sake of others.

But isnt this thread about what people are wearing to our games?

Have a look at our cross town rivals, who had the worst name , worst behaved fans last year and even went on strike.

This year they have not thrown 1 flare, and now make fun (via chants) of other crews that screw up. (you might not here that up the yarraside end)

God im sick of this attitude. So because they were(ARE) by the far the worst behaved fans in the league and now they aren't fucking up quite as bad/regularly we should all praise them for thier huge turn around/new attitudes. Well fuck that. They still act like scumbags but just arent getting caught for it atm.

Not having a go at you personally shrecky but I've heard this POV bandied around a lot lately and it shits me that they are being made out to be reformist angels for not ripping some pyro but still are by far the most violent and worst behaved fans in the league.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 6

I would just like to say I find the style more aesthetically pleasing then the merched up cheer squad style, but that's is just a personal opinion.

As for the mentality/attitude of anti social behaviour I am ag'in it! As a pacifist the whole deal goes against my very nature. That being said If a group of designer clad fools come at you with disregard for children etc in your general vicinity I would not a have an issue with force being used in self defense, but only in self defense.

Ok, but the actual question of it existing in the A-league is a tough one. Designer brands in some parts of this fine country (CCM and NUJ) mean Oakley, Kuta Lines, Billabong and Quicksilver etc, so if we ignore the merch, the cashed up bogans that over do the brands (or chavs for those who would rather kill themselves than use an Australian colloquialism) and the surf wear yobs maybe we can say it exists??

I am probably not on the right path with this (generally this is the case) but if you think of an average crowd being 5K (roughly) maybe 50-100 would be dressed in casual style, but that could also be a coincidence, from that minority how many would dress because of the casual scene and not because they like the style or have seen others wearing similar clothes, and of those who would consider themselves 'casual', how many would have a mentality of violent anti social behaviour?

Unfortunately football is given little positive representation in the media which mostly revolves around a small group of people acting like tools. The reason this is relevant to my eventual point is that this coverage of 'hooliganism' and 'riotous behaviour' attracts certain types to our wonderful game who don't care what the score is, they pick a team and use it as an excuse to behave like fecal throwing chimps. They will watch "The Firm' and think that it's cool, and I personally feel that their gene type is responsible for holding back the human race from truly evolving.

So from an uneducated stance it exists in a minority of mainly peaceful mature minded people who like the style of the scene. The violent side exists too, but not in epic Euro '96 proportions.