Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj Appreciation..

Mozilla

just hope he doesn't play for Serbia if he becomes real quality

I agree, he seems like a player with an incredibly high ceiling, Australia has lacked impressive forwards since Viduka and Kewell were in there prime, just something that we cannot develop......

on may 19th, an article in the age said "a decision is likely to be made next week" and it's been over a week and we haven't heard anything. I'm surprised at the lack of media coverage this is getting. All we've heard from the age/herald sun is that red star were making a bid believed to be around 500k, but nothing else on how talks have progressed or whether a deal was close or not which i find strange

Judging by the past two months I wouldn't hold your breath waiting to hear from Heart HQ, so the best you're going to do is pick it up from some other source. 'Next week' in Heartspeak doen't seem to mean what the rest of us think it does.

on may 19th, an article in the age said "a decision is likely to be made next week" and it's been over a week and we haven't heard anything. I'm surprised at the lack of media coverage this is getting. All we've heard from the age/herald sun is that red star were making a bid believed to be around 500k, but nothing else on how talks have progressed or whether a deal was close or not which i find strange

Oh no, a 3-way negotiation between Heart, a young player, and an overseas club in a different time zone where English isn't the first language, that likely involves lawyers and multiple agents hasn't been concluded in a week during an off-season. How strange!

What are you expecting? Minutes from discussion on each clause of a potential contract? A video of negotiations?

Transfers aren't a series of screens and mouse clicks. This isn't FM or FIFA12, you can't compress a month into 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Oh no, a 3-way negotiation between Heart, a young player, and an overseas club in a different time zone where English isn't the first language, that likely involves lawyers and multiple agents hasn't been concluded in a week during an off-season. How strange!

What are you expecting? Minutes from discussion on each clause of a potential contract? A video of negotiations?

Transfers aren't a series of screens and mouse clicks. This isn't FM or FIFA12, you can't compress a month into 10 minutes.

obviously not, but we've heard absolutely nothing about it here. While in the serbian online newspapers, (after putting them through google translate) i've read at least 3 articles discussing babalj last week, with one of them saying a deal was likely to happen, and another saying babalj was arriving in belgrade by the end of the week for negotiations.

Why couldn't these things (if true) be announced by the club on the website? or in the herald sun/age? I recall last year when the mariners were in talks with borussia dortmund over Amini, there was reports when they had rejected an offer and also reports when they were attempting to get him back on loan for a season. Are we trying to do the same with babalj? or are we just selling him to get the money? These are simple questions that should be announced in the newspapers for the public to read and gain some interest. We're about to sell our brightest young prospect to a 'serbian powerhouse', surely the club would want people to be interested so they can see we are a club with the most talented young players in the country.

I think what's being expressed is not so much specific to the Eli Babalj transfer but a sense of frustration about what seems to be going on - or not going on - at Heart HQ. No-one expects that the club is going to reveal its innermost secrets, but the coaching situation seems to have degenerated into something of a farce and that's affecting the way fans are looking at all aspects of the club at the moment. Even if there's a logical and sensible explanation for everything I don't think anyone could reasonably say that this has been a positive off-season for Heart so far.

• Like 1

obviously not, but we've heard absolutely nothing about it here. While in the serbian online newspapers, (after putting them through google translate) i've read at least 3 articles discussing babalj last week, with one of them saying a deal was likely to happen, and another saying babalj was arriving in belgrade by the end of the week for negotiations.

Why couldn't these things (if true) be announced by the club on the website? or in the herald sun/age? I recall last year when the mariners were in talks with borussia dortmund over Amini, there was reports when they had rejected an offer and also reports when they were attempting to get him back on loan for a season. Are we trying to do the same with babalj? or are we just selling him to get the money? These are simple questions that should be announced in the newspapers for the public to read and gain some interest. We're about to sell our brightest young prospect to a 'serbian powerhouse', surely the club would want people to be interested so they can see we are a club with the most talented young players in the country.

i highlighted an important factor, maybe a deal is far from done, so MH cant say a thing

Serbian newspaper has reported that Babalj has been sold for €400,000

http://www.kurir-inf...m-clanak-250816

According to Google Translate there are still formalities to complete. Nevertheless, it looks as though we will accept A$500,000 for our no. 1 striker, leaving us a big hole to fill. Like others I think that's way too cheap, but in reality what option do we have? Refuse the offer? If Babalj then has a good season for us he walks away free at the end; if he has a poor season for us then overseas clubs lose interest. So, basically, like any lesser club, we really have to take what we're offered.

• Like 1

] Red Star Belgrade manager Robert Prosinecki all but confirmed today the signing of Elijah Babalj from Melbourne Heart for a reported 400,000 Euros.

Belgrade tabloid Kurirannounced the news, with the contract with Red Star reported to be for 4 years.

The Serbian media have been fascinated with Babalj’s 194 cm height, and have likened him to current AC Milan player, Zlatan Ibrahimović.

Speaking to Kurir, Prosinecki declared that the only thing preventing Babalj from pulling on the famous Red & White shirt would be administrative formalities.

“It is important that a guy [like Eli] wants to come to Red Star. As we said yesterday, the administration is left is to carry out a few formalities. I saw him, I inquired about him and I know he’s the kind of player we need.”

Prosinecki’s choice of Babalj for a mere AU $501 000 demonstrates the financial circumstances Red Star find themselves in. Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Nenad Milijaš was rumoured to be returning to the Serbian club, but Prosinecki declared the funds weren’t there to pull of such a move.

“In recent weeks, there has been speculation about the return of Nenad Milijaš to Red Star. It is not realistic! The same story is with Lukovic from Zenit. These players would welcome us, but a lot of cost. Red Star has no money for them.

http://www.mfootball.com.au/babalj_belgrade_bound/

Free? nah mate.

Babalj was always going to go to another club at some point, but why not prove yourself here, and then have clubs worthy of leaving come asking about you.

because moving to a club like Red star is actually very attractive for him, the league would be a huge step in the right direction imo.

What.. for free?

would it be worth missing out on gaining 500k for 15+ goals?

how many players scored more than 15 goals last season? victorys 2 marquee players combined couldn't even score 15 goals let alone having a player on basic wages scoring like that. Couldn't care less about 500k to be honest especially when the club has no intentions on signing a marquee. what makes this disappointing is that babalj had the potential to not only win the golden boot but guide us to winning something big next season, and even if he did leave for nothing, he probably would have gone to a even bigger/better club and would have left melbourne heart in a better state to grow in the future.

a lump sum of 500k will do nothing but pay off some small expenses and that's about it. Winning the league, ACL qualification etc... would do wonders for the growth of our club and its future.

obviously people will say 'what if we don't win the league and he doesn't score 15+ goals.' I'm the type of person who doesn't want to be left thinking of what could have been, and it should be a risk the club is willing to take.

that's my opinion anyway

• Like 1

$500k

+ I assume there is a future sell on %, as IIRC Munn and JD indicated that any sale of Babalj would include that at the fan forum

+ When babalj becomes a superstar (which I maintain he will, just like I have since his first game), people will look back on what club developed him, and IMO thats us, as when he got here he was extremely raw, but he is now leaving us a handy young striker. How many clubs in Australia can say they developed a quality player? Knights are still using developing Viduka as their claim to fame.

• Like 1

would it be worth missing out on gaining 500k for 15+ goals?

how many players scored more than 15 goals last season? victorys 2 marquee players combined couldn't even score 15 goals let alone having a player on basic wages scoring like that. Couldn't care less about 500k to be honest especially when the club has no intentions on signing a marquee. what makes this disappointing is that babalj had the potential to not only win the golden boot but guide us to winning something big next season, and even if he did leave for nothing, he probably would have gone to a even bigger/better club and would have left melbourne heart in a better state to grow in the future.

a lump sum of 500k will do nothing but pay off some small expenses and that's about it. Winning the league, ACL qualification etc... would do wonders for the growth of our club and its future.

obviously people will say 'what if we don't win the league and he doesn't score 15+ goals.' I'm the type of person who doesn't want to be left thinking of what could have been, and it should be a risk the club is willing to take.

that's my opinion anyway

people are thinking 15 goals last season = guarantee15+ goals next season

unfortunately i hate to say it to you but football doesnt quite work like that

500k is a great price for someone who is most likely gonna leave next season on a free if he keeps up his form

also lol at paying off some small expenses, 500k could potentially fund 3, 4 even 5 players next season.. just to give you an idea

• Like 2

people are thinking 15 goals last season = guarantee15+ goals next season

unfortunately i hate to say it to you but football doesnt quite work like that

500k is a great price for someone who is most likely gonna leave next season on a free if he keeps up his form

also lol at paying off some small expenses, 500k could potentially fund 3, 4 even 5 players next season.. just to give you an idea

fwiw he only scored 9 last year and has 11 in over 30 games. No idea why people think he will be able to get 15 goals next season let alone win the golden boot or lead us to the title. Even if he had multiple years left on his contract I would still take the 500k.

If we want to win the title next season we definitely need a better striker.

Also, Heart_fan10 not sure who you are referring to as Victory's 2 marquee players but any 2 of Hernandez, Thompson and Kewell scored 15+ combined last season.

I agree we need a better striker, but babalj has alot of talent and i think he will be a superstar...

win the title next year? lol as much as i hope we do, it wont happen a coach with no coaching experience, no assiant yet, not even signing players yet, and the big hole up front now...

he scored 9 goals off 18 starts (from open play, none from penalties). Despite the fact we played half the season without an attacking midfielder so the service to the forwards was shithouse, and ever since he went off a modified training schedule and started training at full steam ahead, he scored in 5 of the last 6 matches.

FWIW this is how babalj can easily score 15 goals next season:

Given the fact generally young players, let alone a player with the potential of babalj, improve every year, he'll improve his goal tally of 9 by AT LEAST 2 goals. Also include that if Fred plays a full season, and we sign a couple of attacking players to support babalj and give him better service, there's at least another 2 goals added to that tally. Lastly, seeing he is able to train fully now, if he starts all 27 matches (9 more starts than this season), there's no doubt he will score AT LEAST another 2 goals. Which equals 15.

@Footballism, Victory's 'marquee players' are Archie Thompson (australian marquee) and Harry Kewell (international marquee). Both their salaries combined last year were well over 500,000 a year. Thompson's salary is around the 400k mark, while kewell's wouldn't be too far off if not higher. Thompson scored 7 goals last season while kewell scored 8 (so yes they both scored 15 goals combined). Hernandez only scored 1 more goal than babalj and he was on 4x his salary, not to mention he scored a few penalties, as did kewell. What i'm saying is, if the club wants to find a striker who has the potential to score as many goals as babalj they're going to have to put their hand in their pocket and fork out some serious money.

How haven't we heard a word on this from the media?

My guess is because the fine print has not been agreed yet - actual up-front fee, and on-sell clause, etc. etc. Babalj is alleged to have agreed terms for a four-year contract, but the administrative details are not settled. I'm sure it will go ahead, but I will wait for confirmation from Heart.

I think the club is to focused on breaking even, to look at wining titles.

Yes, they have stated their aims for the season are too break even and make the finals. Their aim is not to win any titles. That doesnt mean they wouldnt like too, but they have decided to set a budget for the season that makes it unlikely.

Yes, they have stated their aims for the season are too break even and make the finals. Their aim is not to win any titles. That doesnt mean they wouldnt like too, but they have decided to set a budget for the season that makes it unlikely.

Didn't Aloisi say he wants to win it this year?

I love how people are happy to speculate that we are losing 15 goals as season,

And then also speculate that we will gain nothing from the 500K fee, of course we will, anything could come from this, just as likely as Babalj scoring 15 goals ect

Plus we will get another sell on fee in the future, where if he is that good it will be another 500K ect

MH are a club that builds and sells talent, we buy low and sell high thats where we are at, lets back Aloisi ect to find the next Babalj somewhere, look forward to the season

Just my thoughts

Sounds like more spin from heart HQ

I disagree. It was Aloisi's statement, as I recall it, at the press conference when he was presented as the new senior coach. To paraphrase, he said he was going to be under pressure, so 'I might as well be under pressure trying to win the thing.'

IMO we're all getting a bit spooked because we haven't announced any new signings since February when we added Redmayne to the squad. Now that Bolton his re-signed we have 16 contracted players for next season, so we're going to add 5 (or 6 if Babalj goes). We've said that we'll sign 2 or maybe 3 overseas players (the transfer window opens tomorrow). There's still over four months until the season starts. Are any of the signings made by the other clubs that spectacular that we're writing off our chances already? IMO it's a bit premature for that.

Edited by jw1739

I disagree. It was Aloisi's statement, as I recall it, at the press conference when he was presented as the new senior coach. To paraphrase, he said he was going to be under pressure, so 'I might as well be under pressure trying to win the thing.'

IMO we're all getting a bit spooked because we haven't announced any new signings since February when we added Redmayne to the squad. Now that Bolton his re-signed we have 16 contracted players for next season, so we're going to add 5 (or 6 if Babalj goes). We've said that we'll sign 2 or maybe 3 overseas players (the transfer window opens tomorrow). There's still over four months until the season starts. Are any of the signings made by the other clubs that spectacular that we're writing off our chances already? IMO it's a bit premature for that.

think it's more frustration to see every other a-league team signing good players while we haven't signed anyone yet, let alone any 'good' players. There's obviously a long time until the start of the next season (4 months), but it's unlikely aloisi would want to be making signings in the last month of the pre-season that unsettles the squad and he would want to have a final squad by september at the very latest. It means, 3 months to sign 6 players, which is basically a new signing every 2 weeks as of now.

My guess is because the fine print has not been agreed yet - actual up-front fee, and on-sell clause, etc. etc. Babalj is alleged to have agreed terms for a four-year contract, but the administrative details are not settled. I'm sure it will go ahead, but I will wait for confirmation from Heart.

I just thought there'd be just a little more made of it. prehaps an article saying the deals all but through, but the only ones I've seen are in serbian.

• Like 1