Melbourne Football

Fred wins Alex Tobin Award.

Footballism

Congratulations to Fred, who was announced as Fox Sports' player of the year today. Dugandzic and Broich finished equal second 3 points behind him (was awarded in a 3-2-1 voting system)

Very surprised to see Fred win let alone two of the top 3 coming from a side who finished 6th out of 10. Arguably the most influential player when fit but didn't play enough to deserve this award imo.

Was clearly our best player when fit. I guess with a 3,2,1 voting system, you only need to be best on ground 5 or 6 times to have a chance. Many of the players who finished high in the voting missed parts of the season.

Anyway, well done Fred. I was a bit dubious about him being named captain before pulling on the shirt, but he proved to be the obvious choice.

Captain of the PFA Team of the Year and Alex Tobin Medal. :)

This must be the first time a Heart player has won an award like this?

Don't get me wrong he was great when he played and made a significant influence on the team but I reakon marrone was pretty consistent all year played most games and others from other teams but in the end to have two of our players is good anyway just saying some of these awards have had a trend to go to the big names of the league this year.

Don't get me wrong he was great when he played and made a significant influence on the team but I reakon marrone was pretty consistent all year played most games and others from other teams but in the end to have two of our players is good anyway just saying some of these awards have had a trend to go to the big names of the league this year.

Consistency isn't rewarded in this system, you can be 4th best every game and you get 0 points. You are best on game 4 or 5 times, shit the rest of the time, and you are scoring points out of control.

• Like 1

Er...not sure that the Alex Tobin Award and the Alex Tobin Medal are the same thing? The first seems to be an award made by Fox Sports, and the second an award made by the PFA...can someone with more knowledge than I please clarify?

Correct.

I also found this article very interesting: http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/foxsportscomau-takes-a-look-at-the-alex-tobin-medal-best-chance-and-outside-hope-of-your-a-league-club/story-e6frf4gl-1226265452897

Fred managed to pick up 14 poinsts in the last 7 games, while broich got 5, Duga got 4 and Zwaanswijk only got 2. Our record over those games was pretty poor too, 2 wins,4 draws, 1 loss.

Would be interesting to see how the votes were given in our last 7 games.

Correct.

I also found this article very interesting: http://www.foxsports...l-1226265452897

Fred managed to pick up 14 poinsts in the last 7 games, while broich got 5, Duga got 4 and Zwaanswijk only got 2. Our record over those games was pretty poor too, 2 wins,4 draws, 1 loss.

Would be interesting to see how the votes were given in our last 7 games.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about the two completely different awards.

It really p's me off when people in football administration etc. cannot get their facts right.