Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think I prefer the HTC One, far superior looking phone, which might not matter so much, but the superior specs on the s4 don't really matter much neither, as they're both very powerful devices. I guess it comes down to whether you prefer the innovation of the HTC when it comes to the camera and Zoe, as well as the sick speakers, or if you prefer the cool little software additions Samsung has made.

Desperately need a new phone, and the HTC One looks to be heavily delayed, so I think I might preorder the XZ with Telstra since it comes out on Tuesday and then sell it and grab a One or S4 a little down the track when they're out and have dropped in price a bit.

"The Samsung Galaxy S 4 will be shipping around the world in one of two CPU configurations; The Qualcomm manufactured 1.6GHz Snapdragon 600 CPU or the Samsung designed 1.9GHz Exynos Octa-Core CPU which features ARMs Big-Little CPu configuration which pairs a 1.6GHz Quad-Core A15 processor for the heavy work with a 1.2GHz Quad-Core A7 CPU for the every day tasks to give eight cores in total.

SAMMobile has released a listing for all of Europe, Africa, Asia and most importantly Australia and according to them there will be two models, the GT-i9500 which will carry the Exynos Octa or the GT-i9505 which will feature the Snapdragon 600 and Australia will be seeing the GT-i9505; which means we’ll be getting the Snapdragon 600 in our Galaxy S 4.

The inclusion of the Snapdragon 600 makes sense with Qualcomm recently confirming in a Blog post that confirms the inclusion of Category 3 LTE Support, which includes the 1800MHz band that is in use by all three major mobile operators in Australia.

The Snapdragon 600 is clocking some pretty serious benchmarks at the moment and with the Exynos Octa currently LTE-less it makes good sense to go this route with LTE markets in Australia expanding fairly rapidly. Either way the Galaxy S 4 a monster of a phone."

Had my Sony Xperia Z for a day, must say its a great phone.

Only flaw so far is the display colours look a bit faded, apparently a software / screen collaboration issue that will be fixed soon. Absolutely stunning when watching video though, mind is blown that what i'm looking at is a mobile phone.

Also Telstra service is great, well worth the premium over other providers. This is the level of reception I expect. Fantastic.

Edited by Tesla

Only flaw so far is the display colours look a bit faded, apparently a software / screen collaboration issue that will be fixed soon. Absolutely stunning when watching video though, mind is blown that what i'm looking at is a mobile phone.

Also Telstra service is great, well worth the premium over other providers. This is the level of reception I expect. Fantastic.

You would say that...

But yea I've used the only two networks in Aus, and Tesla blows Optus out of the water. I could never go back.

You would say that...

But yea I've used the only two networks in Aus, and Tesla blows Optus out of the water. I could never go back.

I'm guessing you do know there are 3 networks in Aus and are just having a dig at Vodafone, but TBH I don't think Optus is any better than Vodafone these days, Optus is really bad also and Vodafone has improved somewhat since they were horrible a few years ago.

IMO there is only 1 legitimate network in Australia, and thats Telstra, the other 2 would not be in business in any other developed country in the world, they are a joke.

You would say that...

I'm guessing you do know there are 3 networks in Aus and are just having a dig at Vodafone, but TBH I don't think Optus is any better than Vodafone these days, Optus is really bad also and Vodafone has improved somewhat since they were horrible a few years ago.

IMO there is only 1 legitimate network in Australia, and thats Telstra, the other 2 would not be in business in any other developed country in the world, they are a joke.

;)

Vodafone's reputation will never increase in my eyes. I do however think they are still some way behind Optus - not as far as O are behind T, and certainly not as far as V used to be behind. But I'm sure there is still a reasonable performance difference between O and V.

You would say that...

Optus are still ahead of Vodafone by a long shot. Everybody in my office (in the middle of the city!) on Vodafone are unable to get reception, and whenever we do site visits out in the east its always my phone that gets used due to reception. 

Network Engineer for the smart meter network. Mostly sit in an office waiting for alarms to go off but make the odd visit to our base stations. 

Aldi also use Telstra 3G as another option. I'll definitely be moving to either Kogan or Aldi once my Optus contract is up...the data allowance is pretty amazing value for money. 

Edited by hedaik1
  • Like 1

Network Engineer for the smart meter network. Mostly sit in an office waiting for alarms to go off but make the odd visit to our base stations. 

Aldi also use Telstra 3G as another option. I'll definitely be moving to either Kogan or Aldi once my Optus contract is up...the data allowance is pretty amazing value for money. 

THIS!!

if i decide to fuck off telstra, will do the kogan or aldi. 

The one bad thing about their allowance though is that they bill by the megabyte, as opposed to kb.. eg, if you use like 5kb to check for a facebook notification, it will bill it as 1mb, etc.. kogan are also in hot water atm for terminating contracts claiming people are in breach of their fair use policy with unlimited msgs etc...

The one bad thing about their allowance though is that they bill by the megabyte, as opposed to kb.. eg, if you use like 5kb to check for a facebook notification, it will bill it as 1mb, etc.. kogan are also in hot water atm for terminating contracts claiming people are in breach of their fair use policy with unlimited msgs etc...

Someone spends their day on whirlpool...

Someone spends their day on whirlpool...

No, I just read the news lol.. It's been pretty big news for the last week or so.

Hedaik, sadly I don't go on there very often at all ;)

http://www.expansys.com.au/sony-smartwatch-228482/?mkwid=svHjLhmZB&kword=adwords_productfeed&gclid=CPCIk438mLYCFQFipQodiloAnw

Duchess, on 22 Mar 2013 - 14:04, said:

Tesla, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:53, said:

Duchess, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:40, said:

Tesla, on 22 Mar 2013 - 13:28, said:

You would say that...

;)

Vodafone's reputation will never increase in my eyes. I do however think they are still some way behind Optus - not as far as O are behind T, and certainly not as far as V used to be behind. But I'm sure there is still a reasonable performance difference between O and V.

I wish Vodafone didnt buy 3Mobile, I hate being a Vodafone customer now. I used to be able to at least roam with Telstra when I was out of town, now I dont get shit!

Can you please download and install Passmark Perfomance Test, Linpack and Quadrant Standard and post your scores?

Install them, then restart your phone and then run the tests.

Edited by bazzatron

Chaps, my Galaxy S3 has started charging really slowly. Takes 30 odd minutes to move up %1 etc. Left it charging powered down over night last night and woke up and it was only on %48. Have tried a different charger and/or USB cable. Tried different GPO and even tried USB charging straight from my laptop and desktop.

Looked at the power usage stats are there is no significant CPU function or app draining battery life. I've uninstalled all 3rd party apps too.

Kind of lost where to go to next. I'm quite good with my battery and regularly run it all the way down and charge it all the way. I'm thinking sending it off to be fixed is the only option.

Thoughts?

Exact same problem atm

Is yours fixed now? If so, how?

Edited by CALZALOL

My brother had the same problem too... I dont know what he did, but I think it's fixed. I would suggest you take out the battery and make sure the conductors are clean of any obscurities and that the hole where the charger is plugged into is also clear.

Chaps, my Galaxy S3 has started charging really slowly. Takes 30 odd minutes to move up %1 etc. Left it charging powered down over night last night and woke up and it was only on %48. Have tried a different charger and/or USB cable. Tried different GPO and even tried USB charging straight from my laptop and desktop.

Looked at the power usage stats are there is no significant CPU function or app draining battery life. I've uninstalled all 3rd party apps too.

Kind of lost where to go to next. I'm quite good with my battery and regularly run it all the way down and charge it all the way. I'm thinking sending it off to be fixed is the only option.

Thoughts?

Exact same problem atm

One of the conductor pins on the charging connection inside the phone was bent. I repositioned it to an angle where it was realigned with the USB cable's conductors. 

I had to open up the phone to do this and I had help from my brother who builds finite electronic stuff so I wouldn't recommend it without some help tbh. Could do more harm than good.

Are you on contract?

Thoughts?

Exact same problem atm

One of the conductor pins on the charging connection inside the phone was bent. I repositioned it to an angle where it was realigned with the USB cable's conductors. 

I had to open up the phone to do this and I had help from my brother who builds finite electronic stuff so I wouldn't recommend it without some help tbh. Could do more harm than good.

Are you on contract?

Ah fair enough, would prefer to have someone pro do it and avoid a massive cost to fix it.

Yeah I'm on a contract

HTC One being released end of month, Telstra giving free Beats headphones, kind of jelly as its a better gift (I'd probably just sell them for cash money) than the Sony NFC speaker I got. NFC speaker is cool as fuck though. Glad I didn't wait TBH, phone isn't worth the wait and extra price over the XZ.

Looking at getting the XZ tablet when it comes out too, if I can wait that long, would look like sexy as fuck side by side with the phone. $800 preorder for the 4G version though, a bit pricey, but there doesnt seem to be any other android tablet that has an at least full HD resolution and 4G, the only other tablet with this is the ipad.

Edited by Tesla