Smartphone discussion

perthheart

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OnePlus One

oneplus-one-front.jpg

(The list of features is huge, but these are what count for me.)

• SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.5GHz Quad-core, Adreno 330 GPU
  • RAM: 3GB LP-DDR3
  • Storage: 16/64GB
  • Screen: 5.5-inch JDI (IPS LCD) 1080p resolution with Gorilla Glass 3
  • Camera: 13MP Sony Exmor sensor (f/2.0, flash, and 4K video), front-facing 5MP
  • Battery: 3100mAh  (non-removable)
  • Weight: 162g
  • Size: 152.9 x 75.9 x 8.9 mm
  • Sound: Bottom-mounted stereo speakers
  • Wireless: Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS/GLONASS
  • Mobile connectivity: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz – WCDMA bands: 1/2/4/5/8 – LTE bands: 1/3/4/7/17/38/40

Works on Australia's LTE (4G) networks. Cheaper (cheapest high end smartphone), lighter and more powerful than the top brands flagships. Including Apple's iPhone.

Stereo speakers by JBL.

The only downsides (IMO) is that it's the size of a Galaxy Note and it's not released yet in Aus.

If i can get my hands on it early... i will.

Price: $299US 16gb or  $349US 64gb

Edited by Deviant

Your plan runs out soon doesn't it?

Customers who purchase the Xperia Z2 will also receive a digital copy of XSCAPE, an album of new tracks from the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Xperia Z2 owners will be able to get the album with their Xperia Z2 on the day of the album’s digital release through the Xperia Lounge app.

Better yet, if you purchase through Optus before 31 July 2014, to celebrate the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup, you’ll receive a bonus pair of Adidas training shoes, valued at $190 RRP.

the Z2 is a really good device.

Until everything on it breaks because Sony are shit.

No thanks.

Are they really that bad? Always liked the design of the Sony phones, the Z2 looks pretty good to me.

Seems the general opinion is, they look good from the outside, but are a piece of shit inside, and that's my experience as well. I do believe they uped their game with the Z1 (I have the Z) so I dont think it was as bad, and maybe the Z2 is similar, but personally I'll avoid them as I've had an unimaginable amount of problems with the Z (never had any problems with a phone before).

Z was first of it's kind and the Z1 got released pretty quickly after it. the Z2 is the upgrade to the fix. lol

It sounds like the AU Falcon Series to me...

hahahaha but the Z's handles don't fall off

Just part of the charging slot does...

Checked with Telstra and they are very good with recontracting, i'd be paying a fairly minimal amount to recontract almost a year early, so in on new phone it seems. s5 is a bit pricey though but that's what i'll probably get, not messing around with inferior brands.

Ended up complaining to the TIO on Friday about my phone issues, bloke from Telstra calls me today telling me he has an offer for me, to recontract so I can get a new phone and he'll drop the ~$150 or w/e MRO payments I had left on my contract, but I just have to pay the admin fee of $50. Told him nope, he's going to have to drop that $50 as well, he said ok, and so I'll pop into a Telstra shop a little later and walk out with a Galaxy s5 without having to pay the ~$200 I was prepared to pay so I could recontract :up:

Edited by Tesla

What plan?

Just got it, $82 ($70 + $12), obviously won't compare spec wise to the vodafone plan but:

$700 worth of calls

Unlimited text

1.5gb

Do you really need unlimited talk? I never had to even think about my call limit on my old plan, just called as I needed to and never went over the limit, and I assume this new limit is more, so it works for me. I had 1GB before, which was a bit limiting on months I did a bit of wifi tethering when needing to use a laptop while out and about, but 1.5gb is an improvement and should make things better.

Interestingly, they've pretty much gotten rid of all the dodgy shit, excess data charges are now only $0.03 per MB which I think is reasonable TBH and isn't a trap any more to fuck you over like the telcos used to do. They also have a limit on excess call charges now, where they will suspend your account at a certain point rather than letting you hit $35347598347525. Though, I always found Telstra to be the least dodgiest, they have their own app preinstalled to monitor data, as well as sending text when 50%, 90%, 100% etc. of data is hit, and they've stepped it up even more with these changes.

Shout out to the TIO, that's 2 contracts in a row they've gotten me out of :up: I really fucked Vodafone over last time I went to the TIO, this time it's more of a fair resolution for both parties.

Edited by Tesla

What are people's thoughts on cases and screen protectors?

Went without anything on my XZ, and TBH I'm glad I did as the phone shit itself multiple times before I got a cracked screen or scratches bad enough to bother me. I got to enjoy that smooth screen (so much better than a screen with a protector) as well as getting to enjoy the thin and light weight build (that we pay a premium for with these smartphones) you experience without a case. On the other hand, this is an even more expensive phone, so I don't want to fuck it up off the bat, plus it's not as aesthetically pleasing as the XZ so there is less to be gained by not having a case.

I think it might have a screen protector by default as the screen isn't as smooth as I would expect.

Dont really need unlimited talk or text but i hit 1.5gb each month, so i need more.

Well then you'd be paying a fair bit at Telstra so maybe not the best option for you. Interested to know how you use 3GB though, if you're connected to wifi at home and work that's most of the weekdays covered. I don't use PT though, I can see that as a situation where you'd use a decent chunk of data regularly.

I use wifi at home, we dont have it at work. 

- Web browsing

- Youtube

- Facebook (auto loads videos like instagram)

- Instragram (auto loads videos)

- Whatsapp (uses heaps)

- App updates (i dont wait to use wifi for this

- Sync both private and work email, both of which I get a lot of.

I've just installed this: 

to monitor what I use.

I use wifi at home, we dont have it at work. 

- Web browsing

- Youtube

- Facebook (auto loads videos like instagram)

- Instragram (auto loads videos)

- Whatsapp (uses heaps)

- App updates (i dont wait to use wifi for this

- Sync both private and work email, both of which I get a lot of.

I've just installed this: 

to monitor what I use.

I use whatsapp, doesn't use a lot for me, in fact it uses very little, going off the standard android monitor. Depends how much you use it obviously and especially if images etc. are being sent.

I'm pretty much non stop with getting emails all day and I'm syncing a few accounts, doesn't use much neither.

For me, chrome uses the most, just standard web browsing. Followed by facebook. Everything else is pretty insignificant.

I am pretty sure I am on the Cap u mentioned Baz and I have never gone over....

Purely because I always have chosen to go Vodaphone's highest Cap because as PPL may have noticed that one I CBF text msging much (I just call) and also two that I used to spend a fuck load of time talking to my partner when mobile rates were more expensive.

Edited by cadete

What plan?

Just got it, $82 ($70 + $12), obviously won't compare spec wise to the vodafone plan but:

$700 worth of calls

Unlimited text

1.5gb

I just got onto the 55 BYO cap, exactly the same as what you get... but i'll buy the Nexus 5 when the price drops. 

What plan?

$700 worth of calls

Unlimited text

1.5gb

I just got onto the 55 BYO cap, exactly the same as what you get... but i'll buy the Nexus 5 when the price drops.

Seemed strange to me at first, but when I looked at the numbers, it makes sense. The base 'casual' (no contract, BYO as well) plan is $70/mo. If you BYO and go on a 12 month contract, you get the same plan for $55/mo, so you save $15/mo as a reward for going on a 12 month contract. When you go on a 24 month contract (the phone included plans like I'm on), it's $70/mo, but they give you $26/mo discount on a phone (the s5 is actually $38/mo, but with that $26/mo discount it's only $12/mo extra on top of the $70) as reward for going on a 24 month contract.

Obviously the $38/mo fee is a bit inflated as it comes out to $912, and you can buy cheaper elsewhere, but that also includes interest I'd say as you are paying it off over time and you're likely to get better support from Telstra than most other phone sellers.

At the end of the day, the only real maths that matters to me is, $82-55 = $27. $27 * 24 months = $648. So the difference between our plans is you get more freedom because your contract is only 12 months, and I get a fairly good price for an s5 at $648 (paid off over time, so the 'real' cost of the phone is less than that).

Am I the only one that seems the massive trolling potential of having an universal remote control built into your phone...

I already turn my tv off in the other room with my TBox Application...

I mean, what's stopping me from fucking around with any TV anywhere, doctor's clinic, pub, etc.

Am I the only one that seems the massive trolling potential of having an universal remote control built into your phone...

I already turn my tv off in the other room with my TBox Application... I mean, what's stopping me from fucking around with any TV anywhere, doctor's clinic, pub, etc. Nothing at all! :-)

I mean, what's stopping me from fucking around with any TV anywhere, doctor's clinic, pub, etc.

Did you not have one of those nerd's at your school who brought one of those digital watches that could control the VCR's and TV's?

Did you not have one of those nerd's at your school who brought one of those digital watches that could control the VCR's and TV's?

Yes, but the difference is, that was one person, soon pretty much everyone will have the functionality in their phone. Most would probably cbf trolling, but with TVs themselves becoming 'smarter' all the time, I think it poses some interesting issues. I'd say TV manufacturers will probably start making new TVs that need a password to set up an universal remote to work with the TV, or some other form of authentication.

Yes, but the difference is, that was one person, soon pretty much everyone will have the functionality in their phone. Most would probably cbf trolling, but with TVs themselves becoming 'smarter' all the time, I think it poses some interesting issues. I'd say TV manufacturers will probably start making new TVs that need a password to set up an universal remote to work with the TV, or some other form of authentication.

lol people don't even know!! or they only think its for samsung devices. 

good times at Degani.