Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What phones are being released with an infra-red transmitter, you're not confusing this with a universal app that requires wifi?

s4 and s5 have IR. And are universal...

Edit: S4 definitely has IR... Not 100% on the S5

Edited by Deviant

What phones are being released with an infra-red transmitter, you're not confusing this with a universal app that requires wifi?

s5 has it, definitely an IR transmitter , and I thought the s4 had it as well, as deviate has confirmed. Surely the others will add it to if they don't have it yet, it's actually really handy tbh and the software is great to as it tells you what's on TV right now etc.

Edited by Tesla

When is the Z2 coming out! I want it! Once I found out about the charging dock that uses the external docking pins I was sold!

My Xperia Z had that, not really that great tbh, and you have to buy it separate.

Especially with wireless charging coming to most phones, as deviate has pointed out for the nexus 5,I know the wireless charging dock is being released for the galaxy s5 soon as well, probably slightly superior to the Xperia charging dock.

Not to fussed about wireless charging. A review I saw had the dock included, but that could exclude Australia though(most likely will), you can also buy a Macbook-like magnetic charging cable that snaps to the external pins. Ideally I'd get both the dock and this cable.

All the new phones are generally the same. Is more so now a days about what you're used to. If you are used to Samsung... The biggest change you'll find in the s5 is that is so much wicket and more responsive! The rest is pretty self explanatory. If your on the s3 4g version, Samsung is releasing there latest software for it this month. Unfortunately if u don't manually flash it... You'll have to wait until Telstra release it. But that's your best bet to use the software before committing to the s5.

Any of you chaps actually had a play with the S5 in person? Want to know thoughts of those who have. Could be on the cards when contract up in a month or two.

I have the phone since Monday, not really sure what to say yet, exciting at first, then meh.

Haven't seen the supposed far greater battery life, but I think something is causing my battery to drain to quick so I might do a factory reset and see if that helps. Also not sure about the camera yet, have to give it a proper go.

My first time with a Samsung phone, and all the iPhag wannabe mainstream shit is a bit annoying, eg the over-contrasted display to trick people into thinking the display is better than it is (getting used to it now though), also the fact it's more restrictive than any other Android phone I've had. You're a previous Samsung user AFAIK so you're probably used to that shit though.

I'm probably going to flash the Taiwanese stock rom (doesn't void warranty since it's an official/stock rom) as that doesn't have a few of the stupid restrictions you have in the AU rom (eg can't turn off the camera sound).

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

So this happened at lunchtime.

attachicon.gifIMAG0924.jpg

Lol congratulations. Is it quick?

Yeah its really nice. I had been contemplating a Galaxy Note or small Tablet for a while, this is pretty big, so it pretty much hits the nail on the head.

The timeshift function with the camera is cool, basically makes slow motion video. Looks really neat.

It also has this mode called MotionGraph, its just for creating animated gifs, but the cool thing is that you can just film something and create the gif straight from the video, made this just now:

2ekq1as.jpg

The screen is really nice, comics look great:

2ebxtms.jpg

• Like 1

it wouldn't be a smartphone discussion without mentioning Apple... so... 

According to a report by MacRumors, the company wants to focus on the introduction of the new upcoming software systems. While Apple emphasized it has no plans of merging the two, the OS X should share more design elements with the iOS soon. According to a quote by MacRumors: 

"The new look will have similar toggle designs to iOS 7, sharper window corners, more defined icons across the system, and more white space than the current version. However, OS X characteristics like the Finder, multi-window multitasking, and Mission Control will not disappear in favor of a more iOS-like experience."

Meanwhile... at Google:

galaxy-s3-i9300-gets-android-4-4-2-kot49

EDIT: As you can see, there's no bias from me at all... :P 

Edited by Deviant

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, 

Ideas/recommendations for a Pay-as-you or Pre-Paid set up. Ideally would be using the Telstra network for coverage reasons (as I have terrible blackspots with Optus) but not going through them as the primary carrier because they are expensive as fark.

I own the phone and it's unlocked. My contract with optus is up in a month and can't afford the $90 odd a month atm to get a new deal with handset and reluctant to get a recontracted while Im not sure what my income will be for a while. 

I currently have a $60 phone plan. 600 minutes call cap that I never come close to reaching, unlimited texts and 1.5Ghz data which I also don't think I've ever come close to exhausting. Anything similar/cheaper/better value around in the prepaid/payasyougo market?

What do you learned lads think?

Gents, 

Ideas/recommendations for a Pay-as-you or Pre-Paid set up. Ideally would be using the Telstra network for coverage reasons (as I have terrible blackspots with Optus) but not going through them as the primary carrier because they are expensive as fark.

I own the phone and it's unlocked. My contract with optus is up in a month and can't afford the $90 odd a month atm to get a new deal with handset and reluctant to get a recontracted while Im not sure what my income will be for a while. 

I currently have a $60 phone plan. 600 minutes call cap that I never come close to reaching, unlimited texts and 1.5Ghz data which I also don't think I've ever come close to exhausting. Anything similar/cheaper/better value around in the prepaid/payasyougo market?

What do you learned lads think?

Telstra don't resell their 4g network (unless something has changed recently), because it's the best mobile internet available and that's their point of difference and they didn't sell their 'NextG' (3g but somehow better/faster, not too knowledgeable about exactly how it was any different to their 3g network, probably just marketing mainly) network before 4g came out, as that was the best mobile internet then. They do resell their 'NextG' network now, so that's the best you will get from a telstra reseller at the moment. I don't think there is any difference between being on Telstra or a reseller when it comes to phone reception, just mobile internet.

I think Boost is the top choice for a Telstra reseller, but there are a few others (Aldi mobile is one I think).

But you're not going to have the Telstra 4G.

There are good value Optus resellers around, if you don't mind being on that network any more, I used to be on Live Connected once upon a time (when they were the cheapest decent provider about) but I think they increased their prices around the time I left, there are others around though, shouldn't take much research. Was on Virgin once before as well, also on the Optus network, they provided a pretty good service and were the best value for a 'well known' provider, but they wouldn't be the best value provider on the Optus network.

Maybe someone on the Vodafone network is for you, their network is probably better than optus these days after all the upgrading they've done (and losing customers has helped their internet speeds), they do have resellers on their network but I don't know any off the top of my head, but shouldn't take much research.

Check out VAYA. I have stayed a $11 month by month BYO contract. Uses Optus network. Haven't missed a beat so far.

I'm on the same plan

1.5gig data $600 of calls

No contract, it's month by month

Can't complain

ATM cost is $18 per month, it's gone up

Check out VAYA. I have stayed a $11 month by month BYO contract. Uses Optus network. Haven't missed a beat so far.

I'm on the same plan

Can't complain

Yeh that's the one I'm on but my monthly bill is still only $11. I just pay it and ask no questions.

I'm on the same plan

Can't complain

Yeh that's the one I'm on but my monthly bill is still only $11. I just pay it and ask no questions. I signed on it 12 months ago when it was only $11

It went up but if you had joined prior to price rise you still pay only $11

How fkn cheap is that

2 years ago I was paying $70 on Optus for pretty much the same deal

Win!!!!

Sounds similar to what I had with Live Connected on the Optus network. Don't know why anyone would pay the actual Optus prices with all the cheap resellers on their network. Probably why their network is fucked though, too congested.