Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a tethered option... and an untethered option... from memory

without the iOS model... i can't give you options... apart from buying an android powered phone lol

6.1.2 if that sounds right. I was with Vodafone fwiw.

Yeah, I'd just buy a new phone, but I really don't have the cash right now, plus I'd most likely want a plan with it, so will wait till I get home.

Only asking this because I bought a sim with 3 today, only to find out the phone was locked. I'm that skint that I can't just let 15 quid go to waste.

Dude you just want to unlock it from the network???

https://unlock.vodafone.com.au/voila/handsetunlock/self-service.html;jsessionid=5BFB2162549A7024006CB048B68BA92B?method=selectService

To get IMEI:  Settings>General>About>IMEI

it would be better to unlock from the network as what bazz suggested.

but if that doesn't work... you want an 'untethered' (meaning not connected. you don't have to connect the phone back into the computer you jailbroke it on to get it working again, if battery runs out) jailbreak option. 

DO NOT UPDATE THE PHONE PAST 6.1.2!!!

http://evasi0n.com/ is the place you want to go to.

simply download the program onto your computer and follow the VERY easy instructions. 

Good luck.

Edited by Deviant
  • Like 1

ROFF at baz, I went into a Vodafone store today and they said they didn't unlock phones, even if I was with them. Must be an Aussie only thing, or they didn't like me. Didn't even bother looking at the website.

Either way, I need access to iTunes, so will try again if I get the chance at a mates, but it's no good for now.

@deviant, I don't have access to a computer, one of the wonders of back packing.

I figured I couldn't do much, but I know that a few of you can work your way around shit like this, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Cheers anyway.

ROFF at baz, I went into a Vodafone store today and they said they didn't unlock phones, even if I was with them. Must be an Aussie only thing, or they didn't like me. Didn't even bother looking at the website.

Vodafone Australia doesnt exist in England.

This, Vodafone in Europe does not equal Vodafone in Australia. I think they still own a percentage but really its just a case of them leasing the name/brand rather than it being the same organisation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fold Sony. My micro USB port broke because of their retarded design that is different from the standard design every other phone (or really any device) manufacturer uses. Off too Telstra I go, who will send it to Sony's repair company, who will tell me it's not covered under warranty because Sony is a dodgy piece of shit company. Then the fun will begin. Hopefully Telstra will sort it out at that stage like last time, because I really like Telstra and don't want to have any reason to question whether I should use their services in the future, and because as fun as it will be taking down Sony, it will require a fair bit of time and effort.

• 1 month later...

anyone here got good/bad stories? i like telstra but i am being swayed by paying less for more.

Im with optus. Cannot wait til my contract is up as I can barely ever get reception. Im not talking about out in the sticks either. Places like Maribyrnong, Thornbury, Kensington etc.

Ridiculous.

Excellent to know, thank you BH. Might be worth paying the higher price.

Second question - has anyone ever bothered with phone insurance?

anyone here got good/bad stories? i like telstra but i am being swayed by paying less for more.

Im with optus. Cannot wait til my contract is up as I can barely ever get reception. Im not talking about out in the sticks either. Places like Maribyrnong, Thornbury, Kensington etc.

Ridiculous.

I am on virgin and have phone insurance. It is an extra $9.95 a month which I think is worth it. Virgin uses optus towers and I never have reception issues in the same areas as BH which is pretty curious...Although there is one weird area on brunswick road just before the Dawson street turnoff where I lose all reception for about 50 metres. Someone must have a jammer going or something. I was going to go on telstra but couldnt justify the prices. Might want to try vodafone? they are going crazy updating their 4g network so its a good time to join as they will probably bend over backwards trying to make people happy given the last few years for them.

Edited by Dylan

Ridiculous.

I am on virgin and have phone insurance. It is an extra $9.95 a month which I think is worth it. Virgin uses optus towers and I never have reception issues in the same areas as BH which is pretty curious...Although there is one weird area on brunswick road just before the Dawson street turnoff where I lose all reception for about 50 metres. Someone must have a jammer going or something. I was going to go on telstra but couldnt justify the prices. Might want to try vodafone? they are going crazy updating their 4g network so its a good time to join as they will probably bend over backwards trying to make people happy given the last few years for them.

Vodafone is only good right now because everyone has left their network. Once people start coming back, it will go to shit.

When it comes to mobile internet, it really is all about capacity.

Vodafone can currently claim the fastest 4G speeds in Melbourne, because they've just built up capacity and have no one using it, it will drop soon. Telstra will always be the fastest in the long term because they charge more so they don't have to oversell their service, and can therefore maintain good speeds.

I'm also very sceptical about Vodafone's 4G coverage, doubt it would even touch Optus let alone Telstra.

TBH Vodafone is probably a good deal right now, but if you go on a 24 month contract I think you'd be struggling towards the end of it.

While on the subject, LOL @ Optus getting done for false advertising. Apparently in that TV ad were they admitted to being worse than Telstra ( :droy:), they were being deceptive by making it seem they were a lot closer to Telstra's level of coverage than they actually are. FFS if you're going to make a deceptive ad at least try make it look like you're better than your competitor rather than just making it seem you aren't much worse :droy:

Edited by Tesla

I made the switch from 3mobile to Voda and it was the stupidest thing I've done. 3 had great coverage in the city and the Telstra roaming facility was decent in the bush. When I went to Vodafone they had their 30day network guarantee, if you werent happy you could bring your phone back and cancel the contract, no questions asked. Cunts clearly put all new customers in a QoS(quality of service) profile that prioritised your bandwidth, ensuring you get great download and upload speeds. Its been average ever since that month ended. Looking to move to Telstra in May when my contract ends. Probably keep the same phone

HTC One X, unless anything worthy of an upgrade appears. 

While on the subject, LOL @ Optus getting done for false advertising. Apparently in that TV ad were they admitted to being worse than Telstra ( :droy:), they were being deceptive by making it seem they were a lot closer to Telstra's level of coverage than they actually are. FFS if you're going to make a deceptive ad at least try make it look like you're better than your competitor rather than just making it seem you aren't much worse :droy:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/win-for-telstra-as-court-rules-optus-ads-misleading-20140218-32y8g.html

I made the switch from 3mobile to Voda and it was the stupidest thing I've done. 3 had great coverage in the city and the Telstra roaming facility was decent in the bush. When I went to Vodafone they had their 30day network guarantee, if you werent happy you could bring your phone back and cancel the contract, no questions asked. Cunts clearly put all new customers in a QoS(quality of service) profile that prioritised your bandwidth, ensuring you get great download and upload speeds. Its been average ever since that month ended. Looking to move to Telstra in May when my contract ends. Probably keep the same phone

HTC One X, unless anything worthy of an upgrade appears. 

I'm out of contract in june. Hoping the Nexus 5 drops in price. 

Had the One X then got the S3 as a present. now looking at ditching both for the nexus.

I'm with vodafone and in the last 2 years i cant fault them in the metro area. In country towns it has been ordinary although this year improved in both warnambool and echuca, compared to last year? 

Thinking of changing to optus/virgin to get better bush coverage and better value!

Vodafone seems to have out performed telstra (for data) at the MCG and during big crowds (as compared to friends phones)    

Id go telstra if they didnt charge double for the same inclusions.