Melbourne Football

A-Leauge Stadia

True Until I die

To big,

Suncorp, SFS, Swan St. for us & vicory most of the time.

Hindmarsh is beautiful for football & probably the best behind Swan St, was a great away trip minus the draw, SFS was good & located in a good area but to big for Sydney.

In terms on design, playing surface etc, Swan St. is by far the best, every other ground minus Hindmarsh looks a little tacky & patchy at times, Swan St. also creates awesome noise, only bad thing about it is the colour of the seats (NNNNN)

Edited by DutchPride

really do wish the clubs would take the game out of these massive stadiums..

there was talk a whiile back of the roar moving to http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=10 (ballymore).... that was before they negotiated a new deal with state gov. love to see the game played at 15k stadiums that are selling out consistently rather than 50k stadiums..

It would seem that in australia, we have become obssesed with big stadiums for official teams, when aami park came out, lots of people thought it was way too small.

I think the new hunter stadium (newcastle) looks awesome, it is really weird however seing just palm trees at an end in gosford.

But waht I want to know is why westpec stadium is an oval. when all the teams that play there play on a rectangular surface. weird.

Eitihad is by far the worst, the pitch is too far from the ground, seating is schocking. It is not a football venue. however its the visitors home, a home is a home.

I dont understand how a stadium can be to big... So long as your close to the action , that is all that matters.

You kow what happens if you have a small stadium with more demand than seating.

Check out EPL ticket/season prices, or NBA ticket prices where stadiums are not big enough to hold demand.

Sure you might have perceived better atmosphere with small stadium, but no room for growth.

So long as we stop playing on oval's (Aka etihad / wellington etc) i think the "stadia" we have are fine and dont think we should be compaining one bit.

If our government is happy to overcapitalise on fancy stadiums to prove that we are a sporting nation, im more than happy to sit there and watch my team.

I dont understand how a stadium can be to big... So long as your close to the action , that is all that matters.

You kow what happens if you have a small stadium with more demand than seating.

Check out EPL ticket/season prices, or NBA ticket prices where stadiums are not big enough to hold demand.

Sure you might have perceived better atmosphere with small stadium, but no room for growth.

So long as we stop playing on oval's (Aka etihad / wellington etc) i think the "stadia" we have are fine and dont think we should be compaining one bit.

If our government is happy to overcapitalise on fancy stadiums to prove that we are a sporting nation, im more than happy to sit there and watch my team.

the problem is, with some of these bigger stadiums, we need to sell x amount (not sure of the exact amount) of tickets to break even on rent, which i doubt many clubs are doing, or atleast not by much..

as far as demand goes, there isnt any.. 7 thousand people in a 15k seat stadium leaves room for 100% growth.....

Who knows what our deal is at the stadium is - i havent seen many complaints coming from the board about costs - just fans mostly who dont actually know.

Im Sure we are not paying the real cost of what that stadium would demand as it is highly subsidised by the state government.

If it were a problem i have no doubt we would be playing somewhere else, but who knows - the cost at a smaller private owned stadium might even cost more. Comes donw to your negotiation skills (not the size of stadia)

As for crowd numbers

• Jets : last year = 8429 (Average), this year = 12541. (Cheap)
  • Vistors last year = 15058 , this year = 20436. (Harry)

A smart management decision over the off season can change the crowd figures

If I could pick up a stadium and have transplanted in Melbourne as ours it would easily be NIB.

It has the most traditional feel, a nice older Grand Stand from the old WAFL, an actual Terrace in the shed, a Beautiful entrance and nice old trees within the ground.

Hindmarsh would be my second choice.

In saying that Ausgrid is not too bad, but I reckon it be better if the Active Fans were allowed on the grass embankment areas.

Ethihad is of course the worst, however I hate it for AFL as well.

AAMI Park is OK. Too big for Heart at the moment (Victory's fault - original design was for 20,000 but MV insisted it be expanded to 30,000), and as Dutchy says, hate those pale green seats. Would be better at night if they turned the lights out on the upper decks, but suppose they can't do so because of 'security.'

Best thing is going by train to Richmond and joining all the fans streaming down to the stadium...gets the pulse racing.

Regret the passing of terraces and the introduction of all-seater stadiums, but we'll not turn the clock back there.

Actually, small stadiums are not that expensive. They're building a few in the UK now, almost 'kit built' stadiums, for some of the small clubs. However, you of course need the land to start with, and have to overcome all the NIMBY stuff. And public transport to such a ground is essential.

Perths NIB stadium looks like its been sat in the sahara desert for 30 years and then cut into pieces and brought to Perth lol

Have you been there?

It is one of the few places in Perth that has nice old European Melbourne style park trees - down the The Shed end anyway.

As for Vic Park - great idea in theory but of course would never happen due to car parking issues.

NOTE: Also the place probably stills reeks of Sharp urine from the seventies...

As for Vic Park - great idea in theory but of course would never happen due to car parking issues.

Has it's own train station which would help with parking issues.

I believe you'd have have more trouble from the Collingwood faithful, doubt they'd like their victoria Park being turned into a sokka field.

Has it's own train station which would help with parking issues.

I believe you'd have have more trouble from the Collingwood faithful, doubt they'd like their victoria Park being turned into a sokka field.

A Station not accessed my Multiple Train Lines like Richmond Station- and Parking would still be an Issue in comparison to AAMI Park.

And Vic Park has already been used for soccer when Heidelberg became Collingwood Warriors for a year in NSL before bowing out back to the VPL.

And Vic Park has already been used for soccer when Heidelberg became Collingwood Warriors for a year in NSL before bowing out back to the VPL.

Was a huge mess with the AFL and Ross Oakley at the time though.

Nothing will change to Victoria Park whilst the pies are still there.