Melbourne Football

The Gallops Only Thread

cadete

Got on Hellbent 3.75 antepost for the Caufield Sprint, field comes out today and straight into 2.20. Love ante post :up: 

Couldn't tell you if it will win, I just knew that it would race and it would be sub $3 (didn't expect 2.20 though tbh), probably should lay it off but not worth the effort tbh and anyway getting such high overs on a favourite is never a bad play.

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

How much would a bloke like William Pike make?

Surely not a lot racing in shitty WA races?

LOL - He is a Multi Millionaire... 

The top jockey in Perth always stays there because they make more than prob six jockeys on the East Coast.

This is because they ride so many winners which is obv pretty easy when u get the best ride in almost every race on a Saturday where the fields are smaller and Set Lowest Prize Money for a race is more than decent.

Also the horses race at one racecourse for half of the year so it gets pretty easy to choose which horse to ride when it's the same horses running against each other on the same track with the same bias.

Not only this Pike makes even more than his predecessor Paul Harvey cos he is Bob Peters Rider (You know how he always wins wearing Pink and White).

Peters is one of the biggest solo owners of horses in Australia and he ensures his horses  are of quality but selling those that aren't and reinvesting. These days in Perth his dominance is ridiculous.

Also WA prize money for its Group Races which  Pike wins of half of is all more than adequate.

Edited by cadete

1 hour ago, cadete said:

This is because they ride so many winners which is obv pretty easy when u get the best ride in almost every race on a Saturday where the fields are smaller and Set Lowest Prize Money for a race is more than decent.

Was more referring to him racing in random races during the week at Northam which don't have much prize money. 

But I'm guessing it's part of the deal and he makes his money on Saturday for riding these.

Can't bet on any race this bloke is riding in, can't back his runner because it's always unders, can't bet on another horse cause he wins so much.

10 hours ago, Tesla said:

Was more referring to him racing in random races during the week at Northam which don't have much prize money. 

But I'm guessing it's part of the deal and he makes his money on Saturday for riding these.

Can't bet on any race this bloke is riding in, can't back his runner because it's always unders, can't bet on another horse cause he wins so much.

When Pikes heads out to Northam its not ride the horses that will only ever be of Country Grade, it would be to ride the one of two rides of horses who are having a start in a maiden who he knows through the Trainer are destined for Ascot and a lot more money down the line. He would then also pick up rides on poorer horses seeing as his already driven to Northam.

This part of the deal Jockeys have all over Australia including the top jockeys in Melbourne, Pike is still obv travelling bigger distances and racing in races worth less race money but that is simply because their are limited opportunities for untested horses in a state that only has two City meetings a week.

They struggle to fixture two year old events on a Saturday for example so most top WA horses over there would have had their first race in a Regional Maiden.

NOTE: You are beating way too much to know of the existence of Northam... it makes Morwell look like a Hub of Culture and Commerce.

Edited by cadete

35 minutes ago, cadete said:

NOTE: You are beating way too much to know of the existence of Northam... it makes Morwell look like a Hub of Culture and Commerce.

I don't choose what I bet on, what I bet on chooses me.

FWIW, you know a place is shit when there must be so little other entertainment that it can host all 3 codes of racing.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I don't choose what I bet on, what I bet on chooses me.

FWIW, you know a place is shit when there must be so little other entertainment that it can host all 3 codes of racing.

For a town to have that on the East Coast its means it must be semi large town... in Northam's case its purely because its one of the few towns not three hours away from Perth where the can host midweek events.

Edited by cadete

umm okay bet on a horse $67 odds and 2 minutes later its $21 best odds and probably only 15ish at the go, gonna look like I was part of plunge lawl. Finished 3rd, $11 for the place instead of $3.50, in b4 ladbrokes account gone because they think I'm part of some syndicate orchestrating massive plunges.

Edited by Tesla

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

umm okay bet on a horse $67 odds and 2 minutes later its $21 best odds and probably only 15ish at the go, gonna look like I was part of plunge lawl. Finished 3rd, $11 for the place instead of $3.50, in b4 ladbrokes account gone because they think I'm part of some syndicate orchestrating massive plunges.

Where was the race?

LOL @ TAB fixed odds only letting you get $10 on 100/1 early odds.

Wish I could be fucked running into a shop/pub to put another $10 on but, believe it or not, even I'm not that keen (maybe if they let me print another 4x $10 tickets one after the other but I doubt it).

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

LOL @ TAB fixed odds only letting you get $10 on 100/1 early odds.

Wish I could be fucked running into a shop/pub to put another $10 on but, believe it or not, even I'm not that keen (maybe if they let me print another 4x $10 tickets one after the other but I doubt it).

What are you on at 100/1?

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

What are you on at 100/1?

I PMed you the two that are at TAB.

TAB close their markets for no apparent reason in the early morning so dunno if you'll be able to get on, was 80s elsewhere though so still okay.

They are 100/1 shots so dont expect too much, if either place at $21 I'd be happy...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HeartinHobart said:

Can't wait til this Saturday. Really hope it lives up to what it promises and we have a Bonecrusher v Our Waverley Star or Redoutes Choice v Testa Rossa race! 

Don't forget "Northerly vs Sunline", and then the next year: "Northerly vs Sunline vs Lonhro"...

FWIW I reckon Winx will win pretty easily but I am happy for the hype to get me evens.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tesla said:

I PMed you the two that are at TAB.

TAB close their markets for no apparent reason in the early morning so dunno if you'll be able to get on, was 80s elsewhere though so still okay.

They are 100/1 shots so dont expect too much, if either place at $21 I'd be happy...

Fucking hell they came in hard. Got one of them at $51 & $11 for a bit of fun. The other is like $10 & $3.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Fucking hell they came in hard. Got one of them at $51 & $11 for a bit of fun. The other is like $10 & $3.

And people keep asking me why I bet on country races on a Tuesday...

Haven't looked, but probably a fair bit of deductions as well as it shortening.

Edited by Tesla

30 minutes ago, HeartinHobart said:

Viscount not Lohnro wasnt it? 

Northerly vs Sunline the first time in The Plate unexpectedly included Viscount when they all ran into each other... Lonhro beat Viscount the week prior in the Guineas (Wearing the Ingham Black and Cerise Cap) and was then spelled.

The next year Lonhro beat Sunline in the Caulfield Stakes and then they both lost to Northerly who won the Caulfield Cup the week before.

Lonhro was the raging favorite the year after that... its disappointing he could never win a "WFA Championship" as they call it due to track bias.

Edited by cadete

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Nemrud in the Geelong Classic?

Even listed races are above my pay grade though, as are $4 chances.

Its not the "Grade of Race" its the "Type of Race" why the odds are less generous and it is because its a Set Weight Race... that is essentially what a "Classic" is a Set Weight Race for 2YO's. or most commonly as in this case for 3YO's.

Professional Punters will rarely place bets in WFA/Classics because they are essentially held to find the best horse and not to provide the best race like Handicaps.

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

The drift was huge, almost surprised it got 2nd with a drift like that.

Yeh that was very concerning. I had it $12 in early markets a while back. Had a bit on it each way too, so not too bad. Hopefully will make the cup field but would need a fair bit of luck to get anywhere near the top 3 in the big race. 

14 minutes ago, carlings said:

Yeh that was very concerning. I had it $12 in early markets a while back. Had a bit on it each way too, so not too bad. Hopefully will make the cup field but would need a fair bit of luck to get anywhere near the top 3 in the big race. 

It would need a massive amount of luck to be in the first three on Derby Day in the "Whatever the Call it These Days - Last Chance at The Cup" Stakes/Quality of that run.

Edited by cadete

2 hours ago, cadete said:

It would need a massive amount of luck to be in the first three on Derby Day in the "Whatever the Call it These Days - Last Chance at The Cup" Stakes/Quality of that run.

Grey Lion is a massive chance to get a run. I'd expect them to risk Derby Day and take the chances to get a Cup run. 

Oceanographer is the one that probably needs to go to The Lexus. 

On 19/10/2016 at 11:06 AM, cadete said:

Placed my bet on Winx at $2.45... looking forward to being on her with more just a twenty dollar promotion. :up:

I'm guessing that was with oddsboost from $2? Had a look and it would only give me 2.20 or something, and Hartnell people were getting upto 4.20 or something but only 3.80 for me :( 

Fwiw, I reckon Winx should only be about a 2.50 chance here anyway.

Though I hope Hartnell doesn't do well so I can get a better price for the MC.

If you wanted to be different and ignore the big two, Yankee Rose has to be good each way value carrying no weight.

Edited by Tesla

10 hours ago, Tesla said:

I'm guessing that was with oddsboost from $2? Had a look and it would only give me 2.20 or something, and Hartnell people were getting upto 4.20 or something but only 3.80 for me :( 

Fwiw, I reckon Winx should only be about a 2.50 chance here anyway.

Though I hope Hartnell doesn't do well so I can get a better price for the MC.

If you wanted to be different and ignore the big two, Yankee Rose has to be good each way value carrying no weight.

It was Enhanced Odds and Winx is now 1.80 normal odds and 2.05 enhanced, realistically I think she should be a 1.90 chance... I find very hard to see her getting beaten with Bowman on board taking no chances of getting caught in a bad spot. He can and will ride her wherever he needs to make sure of this and she is more than capable of doing as such.

Also the reason Yankee Rose has no weight is because she is a Filly who have a terrible record in the race as in only one in almost 100 years has ever won the race which was Surround back in 1971. (This is despite Colts have surprisingly good record when you consider the talent of the race). 

I actually had to look this up because I didn't know of any that actually had... anyway if you look at Surrounds Wiki Page you quickly established she was an absolute freak and the Winx/Black Caviar/Diva of her time.

The only horse I can see beating Winx or Hartnell in a complete boilover is the French Horse, its won a G1 over there and it just be silly to knock French Form.

Edited by cadete

4 hours ago, cadete said:

It was Enhanced Odds and Winx is now 1.80 normal odds and 2.05 enhanced, realistically I think she should be a 1.90 chance... I find very hard to see her getting beaten with Bowman on board taking no chances of getting caught in a bad spot. He can and will ride her wherever he needs to make sure of this and she is more than capable of doing as such.

Also the reason Yankee Rose has no weight is because she is a Filly who have a terrible record in the race as in only one in almost 100 years has ever won the race which was Surround back in 1971. (This is despite Colts have surprisingly good record when you consider the talent of the race). 

I actually had to look this up because I didn't know of any that actually had... anyway if you look at Surrounds Wiki Page you quickly established she was an absolute freak and the Winx/Black Caviar/Diva of her time.

The only horse I can see beating Winx or Hartnell in a complete boilover is the French Horse, its won a G1 over there and it just be silly to knock French Form.

Vadamos hasn't beaten horses of Winx and Hartnell's quality.

The two times he has versed a World Class horse like Winx (and dare I say Hartnell?):

1. Got smashed by like 12 lengths by A Shin Hikari in a G1 in France.

2. Was done before the straight in the DWC and finished 36 lengths behind California Chrome (maybe you can excuse this race because Vadamos might not be suited to dirt).

Worth noting A Shin Hikari showed nothing at Royal Ascot since (which was very strange tbh).

Has Vadamos gotten better? Probably. But not seeing the hype over it winning French G1 races with the prize money of a listed race in metro Sydney.

I'm far from convinced it will even place. Yankee Rose is 3rd best here for me, given the weight allowance, and worth an ew go. Could be totally outclassed of course though.

I'm going Holler for the Manikato, great value at current prices.

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Vadamos hasn't beaten horses of Winx and Hartnell's quality.

The two times he has versed a World Class horse like Winx (and dare I say Hartnell?):

1. Got smashed by like 12 lengths by A Shin Hikari in a G1 in France.

2. Was done before the straight in the DWC and finished 36 lengths behind California Chrome (maybe you can excuse this race because Vadamos might not be suited to dirt).

Worth noting A Shin Hikari showed nothing at Royal Ascot since (which was very strange tbh).

Has Vadamos gotten better? Probably. But not seeing the hype over it winning French G1 races with the prize money of a listed race in metro Sydney.

I'm far from convinced it will even place. Yankee Rose is 3rd best here for me, given the weight allowance, and worth an ew go. Could be totally outclassed of course though.

I'm going Holler for the Manikato, great value at current prices.

Look its record doesn't look great but its at least won Group Races at WFA Level and these PPL aren't idiots, they saw Winx last year and this Autumn and they already know how fucken weird Moonee Valley is as a track and he races in a suitable manner for the Valley so they must think it has some sort of chance to pay all the money to take on Winx there.

Realistically I think Hauraki is the third pick, but we have seen him run here so there is less surprise element when I try to think of an actual horse who could come for nowhere to cause a Boilover.

My point is if something is going to cause a Boilover its probably going to be an unknown quantity like when I said Adelaide would win the CP and he did... Vadamos def has a better chance than Yankee Rose a Filly whose greatest test has been in an Open Sex Classic which all the best horses in Sydney bypassed to go the Guineas for obvious reasons.

For Yankee Rose to win she basically has to prove herself close to the best Filly the Australian Turf has pretty much ever seen. She has to be the second Filly to ever win a Cox Plate in almost a hundred years (Let's remember Miss Finland never got that close).

Then alongside this she has to be the first filly to win in forty-five years and beat a Outright Champion Mare and a Horse that could easily end up a outright Champion by the end of his career as well.

I think Chat will prob win tonight but I like The Quarterback as a Roughie tonight.

Edited by cadete