Melbourne Football

Week 16: Melbourne v Brisbane Roar - 21 Jan - 7:45pm

scouse_roar

I personally don't like flares, they're banned so why continue to use them? However, this does not mean someone who uses them should be banned for 5 years! That is utter rubbish! 5 games would even be too harsh but maybe justified. Who put this punishment in place?

This thread is for discussing the Brisbane game itself, post such comments in the thread intended for the support at this particular game.

And I am sure you will be happy to know that your “Tool” a tiny fourteen girl who is as passionate a Heart Supporter as anyone will not be able to attend her club’s games for a whole five years.

In fact give yourself a pat on the back because these completely too harsh restrictions being placed on kid are a direct result of the league bending itself over backwards to cater to the Whinges and Complaints from Tools like yourself.

Dude, grow up or are you a 14 year old as well? Don't get me wrong, flares at a football match is great. But if it's banned and especially when you take your 2.5yr old nephew to a game, I really don't want him inhaling that smoke.

• Like 3

Dude, grow up or are you a 14 year old as well? Don't get me wrong, flares at a football match is great. But if it's banned and especially when you take your 2.5yr old nephew to a game, I really don't want him inhaling that smoke.

The smell of pyro (Y)

Tony,

Who would bring their “2.5 year old nephew” into a strictly standing area of the ground in the first place?

(Esp considering how many vacant seats their are at a Heart game more suitable for a child this age in which to view the game).

Also unless your nephew was near the flare in the front of the Active Area there is no way he could of inhaled the smoke. (Not to mention he also would of be covered in Beer).

I know all of this because I was standing at the back of the Active Area and I came in no contact with any smoke.

I have no once argued Pro-Flare or Anti-Flare in this thread rather I have argued against the penalty that was dealt out.

Also just because something is simply Banned does not therefore make the Ban therefore right?

There are so many examples throughout history to prove such simplistic logic flawed I cannot even be bothered listing one.

Okay I will give you one: Bans in Literature.

Edited by cadete

Flares are no good for the A-League and no good for Heart. Everyone knows there is a hard line zero tolerance policy for flares, so if you get punished for using one what do you expect? 3 years? 1 year? 6 months? 5 matches? 1 game? I'm sure whatever ban was imposed the same people would be calling it too harsh.

I hate seeing the anti football media and groups in this country (and especially in Melbourne, Ted the bloody idiot Baillieu insulted them and football together FFS) using flares as ammunition to insult the game and hold it down. Even ask Scott Munn iif he wants flares at Heart games, I'm sure he'll say what I'm saying. We don't need them and they are no good for our club.

No matter who you are if you are stupid enough to use flares in the A-League you deserve what you get.

• Like 1

Flares are no good for the A-League and no good for Heart. Everyone knows there is a hard line zero tolerance policy for flares, so if you get punished for using one what do you expect? 3 years? 1 year? 6 months? 5 matches? 1 game? I'm sure whatever ban was imposed the same people would be calling it too harsh.

I hate seeing the anti football media and groups in this country (and especially in Melbourne, Ted the bloody idiot Baillieu insulted them and football together FFS) using flares as ammunition to insult the game and hold it down. Even ask Scott Munn iif he wants flares at Heart games, I'm sure he'll say what I'm saying. We don't need them and they are no good for our club.

No matter who you are if you are stupid enough to use flares in the A-League you deserve what you get.

Lol

You honestly think that if Scott Munn says something is wrong that we as supporters should be compelled to agree?

More to the point, do you seriously and honestly use your football club’s CEO opinions to form your own?

There is just so much more I could write – This place is like the Sydney forum today.

I'm not gonna spend all day arguing the point, as I've pretty much said everything, but flares are an image problem for football in Australia and they really do alienate people from the game.

I don't care one way or the other about flares, but I do care about football doing well in this country. Each time they go off the Herald Sun will do its usual bit to insult the game as will other voices in the media. And on top of this I happen to know a number Melburnians who are alienated from football by flares. These are people who really don't know much about the game so it's pretty much fearful ignorance. My dad, for instance I've brought to a fair few games now and he is a real supporter of Heart despite being an AFL follower for decades. He's really into football now, but he is shocked and pretty mystified when flares go off. I don't want football to needlessly alienate any potential supporters and I want the A-League to thrive. I want to see AAMI park full regularly for Heart games and not only have crowds of several thousand turn up.

Maybe 1 year is a suitable ban I don't know. But I do know it's in the A-league's interest, Heart's interest and football in Australia's interest to deter flare usage.

This discussion is all about empathy.

I would first of all like to state that I am pro-flare, I do enjoy them. They add vivacity to the Active Area.

However, understanding people's views is important in this discussion.

Bring a 2 and a half year old into the Active Area may seem a little far fetched, and it is, imo, HOWEVER, this person is well within their rights to do so.

It is not in the rights of the rest of the terrace to utilize pyro, it's a bannable offence, this guy is entitled to go into the Terrace with his minor and shouldn't have to worry about pyro. Why? Because that is the rules.

People replying "what about moshing and noise?"

Well, that is retarded.

You can't get injured from loud noise and certainly, moshing is in no way anything close to pyro (in terms of potential injury caused)

Pyro is a health threat, it can result in injuries and burns (as some in the Terrace would know)

I'm not condoning a five year ban, not at all, I think it's WAY over the top.

A suitable ban, imo, would be 3-4 games, gradually increasing via offences, a strike system of sorts.

To conclude, I would like to say I do like pyro, and I am FOR IT.

However, I can understand why some aren't.

inb4 shitstorm/flog/faggot/etc.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna spend all day arguing the point, as I've pretty much said everything, but flares are an image problem for football in Australia and they really do alienate people from the game.

I don't care one way or the other about flares, but I do care about football doing well in this country. Each time they go off the Herald Sun will do its usual bit to insult the game as will other voices in the media. And on top of this I happen to know a number Melburnians who are alienated from football by flares. These are people who really don't know much about the game so it's pretty much fearful ignorance. My dad, for instance I've brought to a fair few games now and he is a real supporter of Heart despite being an AFL follower for decades. He's really into football now, but he is shocked and pretty mystified when flares go off. I don't want football to needlessly alienate any potential supporters and I want the A-League to thrive. I want to see AAMI park full regularly for Heart games and not only have crowds of several thousand turn up.

Maybe 1 year is a suitable ban I don't know. But I do know it's in the A-league's interest, Heart's interest and football in Australia's interest to deter flare usage.

Please show me the article in the Herald Sun about the Flares at Saturday’s game?

In fact I cannot remember much in the Herald Sun about Flares after the last Derby either...

Edited by cadete

People replying "what about moshing and noise?"

Well, that is retarded.

You can't get injured from loud noise and certainly, moshing is in no way anything close to pyro (in terms of potential injury caused)

Pyro is a health threat, it can result in injuries and burns (as some in the Terrace would know)

That was me, but what I was saying is, he said that he brought his 2 and a half year old nephew into the terrace and said he doesn't want him inhaling the smoke. The terrace isn't really a place that babies/toddlers should be in. Surely their parents would not want them around there, the loud noise upsets babies, doesn't it? Not to mention constant swearing. Anyways, I'm just elaborating my point, etc, so I don't entirely look like a fuckhead.

Although, I do agree to an extent with the bolded statement.

Edited by macrrii

That was me, but what I was saying is, he said that he brought his 2 and a half year old nephew into the terrace and said he doesn't want him inhaling the smoke. The terrace isn't really a place that babies/toddlers should be in. Surely their parents would not want them around there, the loud noise upsets babies, doesn't it? Not to mention constant swearing. Anyways, I'm just elaborating my point, etc, so I don't entirely look like a fuckhead.

Although, I do agree to an extent with the bolded statement.

I agree and understand what you're saying, but you have to remember, there is no rule AGAINST bringing youngen's into the terrace, he is within his right to do it. He is allowed to.
  • Like 1

Personally enjoy when the flares go off, but I can see where people are coming from in regards to how it causes an issue in the media. Don't read the Herald Sun for personal reasons, so I can't rightly pitch in with whether or not it adversely affects the image of football in Australia.

I do agree the penalty is far too high, especially for someone who (by my understanding, I've never met her) is a teenager. Isn't fucking up a quintessential part of being a teenager? A five year ban strikes me as a loss for everyone concerned. I certainly don’t see it curbing the use of flares. In the short term, maybe, but not in the long run.

I’d love it if people were able to get away with setting them off, though. The taboo associated with them does make them a little more appealing though. If one went off every five minutes it’d likely lose it’s novelty.

In short, it’s a nice view from up here on the fence.

Just another case of people believing what they are told to believe, media tells you pyro is bad so you think pyro is bad.

brb, inhaling a bit of pyro smoke at the football is bad for you but dont worry about the fluoride they put in your water supply, lol strong fucking knowledge of life.

Most the danger from pyro comes because its illegal, so people have to throw it or drop it somewhere without looking, in order to not get seen with it, which poses a small risk to someone getting burned I suppose.

Legalise pyro, make it only allowed in active area of the ground if people are so scared of inhaling pyro smoke. Leave throwing it illegal if thats what it takes. However, even that won't happen so no point dreaming about legalised pyro in A-League, its distracting from the real issue that a 14yo girl was banned for 5 years for something thats a victimless crime. What a joke the FFA is.

I like flares, if FFA want them controlled why can't they just hire people to let them off behind the goals when a goal is scored? Or just have a few YS people that can do it but after goal celebrations finish just give them to security...Everyone's a winner!!!

Legalising pyro would mean legalising it for everyone. Having a small, pre-organised group of people in the active bay being allowed would only cause more issues, as people would get shitty at others being allowed to rip flares when they can't.

5 years is harsh, especially when I get the feeling that the girl was probably pressured into ripping the flare by some older mates of hers. The only way the system will change is an all-or-nothing mentality. The pyro pics posted are badass, but they look awesome because they're co-ordinated and part of a display, as opposed to just a single flare being ripped or thrown onto the pitch. They look out of place in the A-League because instead of being a part of a tifo or a whole-terrace celebration, it looks more like an individual simply trying to push against authority.

The game ended in a draw just in case people were wondering

Rofl, well done sir.

I actually can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading above. The FFA hiring people to rip pyro after a goal? That is outrageously unrealistic and homosexual and I'd rather we not have pyro all together.

There is no way pyro will ever be legalized in Australia, if anywhere in the world. So this has rendered the last 3 pages of this thread pointless and a waste of time. Best of wishes to Pyro Girl however, I hope she doesn't get grounded for too long. I personally would have to be in her position.

Anyway, Aziz Behich is incredible. Have watched the replay again and he was just immense. Would have to be the best in our team at taking players on, and one of the best in the league.

Edited by marteaux