Melbourne Football

The PowderKeg (US:ISRAEL:MIDDLE-EAST)

Braveheart

http://www.reuters.c...E88A10B20120911

"Republican rival Mitt Romney has already accused Obama of being too tough on Israel and not hard enough on Iran." - LOLZ Polemics 101.

TBH a Smart move by Obama not having to meet face to face with Beny as he would have manoeuvred for a strong

statement of US support while Obama's FP credentials are under the microscope in an election campaign. As they say, Ambiguity is better than definition in the realm of contention...

Will be interesting to see if Obama holds firm on not having his foreign policy dictated to by the Zionist lobby or he caves and scrambles for the "it was misinterpreted" card.

Edited by Braveheart

they wont do it... no gain.

Even if they have nothing to gain - that is not going to stop Israel from doing it.

I'm pro either Iran having nuclear weapons and an expansion of the NPT - or a Nuclear free middle east. Has to be one or the other. It is simply not good enough for the international community to excercise double standards and frankly ignore Israel's weapon program yet actively pursue hawkish rhetoric against Iran for acquiring technology in order to defend themselves from the imminent israeli threat.

Moreover, the idea of nuclear weapons working as a deterrant is an interesting argument for allowing Iran to acquire weapons and to allow both them and Israel to become nuclear-weapons states under the NPT (same with India and Pakistan). I generally don't agree with neo-realist philosophy but a very reasonable case can be made for states not attacking eachother if they both have nuclear weapons due to the idea of mutually assured destruction.

Best option imo though is nuclear free middle east incl Israel. Predominantly this is because of the threat of many Arab-League states to withdraw completely from the NPT and develop nuclear weapons because of their insecurity with Israel developing nuclear weapons without and restraint from the rest of the world - therefore Egypt, Jordan etc aren't on level footing in terms of defense and have no way of protecting themselves against threat of nuclear attack. This also applies to Iran to a significant extent. As such either the nuclear free middle east talks and conventions which the US as been apprehensive about organizing need to happen, or we will have even more nuclear weapons in the volatile region - which despite all the arguments for detterence is unlikely to end well for anyone.

• Like 1

Please back this up with some fact.

You done it yourself:

Also, Iran is the fourth largest by volume OPEC nation on the planet. Gain seems pretty tangible to me.

Mitt Romney has already been selected to be the next puppet US president.

A Mormon former investment banker even getting this far in the US presidential race. 100% legit democratic system.

If Mitt Romney isn't installed as the next US president, I'll never post about politics again.

Please back this up with some fact.

Well for one the guy looked in serious trouble at one stage to even be able to contest this election.

And by the way despite being an obvious ALP hater I have always been a Democrat supporter in US politics. (Hardly a surprise – JFK and all).

It just annoys me that Obama promised so much and achieved so little.

I would have much preferred a more realistic Democratic President who focussed on achievable social reform.

Edited by cadete

You done it yourself:

Mitt Romney has already been selected to be the next puppet US president.

A Mormon former investment banker even getting this far in the US presidential race. 100% legit democratic system.

If Mitt Romney isn't installed as the next US president, I'll never post about politics again.

Completely disagree, this election is just about the most even of any US election in recent history. Absolutely nothing decided at this early stage. They haven't even had debates yet ffs.

• 2 weeks later...