Melbourne Football

A-League 2013-? Broadcasting rights: What kind of deal does the league need?

DutchPride

The current TV deal is $120 million over 7 years (2005-2012), based on initially 90 A-League matches per season, Socceroos matches outside of the World Cup & Asian Cup matches. It adds up to around 17m a year.

The A-League now has over 130 games per year, Socceroos matches surely are valued at more now compared to 05' & with the next Asian Cup being in Australia, surely a new deal will be a lot more based on those factors.

Big A-League fixtures easily top 100k viewers, & bottom table matches generally get above 45-50k, add it all up & Foxtel get over 50k viewers per game for 4-5 months (finals not included).

FFA's main priority of the deal would be to get an amount that keeps clubs pretty viable for the next 5 or so years, which attracts more shareholders that don't need to worry about huge losses & the initial risk of investing.

For me 150m over 5 years, so 30m a year would be great, it would make all clubs break even, it covers previous FFA losses. A 13m improvement per annum is a big step & to me it has to be the MINIMUM, I think Foxtel will give that to them & although an FTA agreement for the A-League would be great, I don't think the FFA would turn down 30m per annum, because it's a massive 13m increase on what it is now.

I also think FTA channels will come after Socceroos matches at least, after the success in the past 5-10 years, the good crowds that the national team draws & the promising future that lies ahead for the national team.

30m would basically cover all losses, a lot greater contribution to A-League clubs & would allow for money to be spent on bigger advertising & proper investment, this game could become huge in Australia regardless if no one ever knows a match is on, look at how people reacted to the 06 world cup campaign, Australia only made it to the RO16, imagine what the reaction could be with proper investment in advertising.

So for me 30m p.a for the A-League alone would be great & a big step & a separate deal for the national team matches to go with it.

What do you guys think is suitable that is also realistic?

Edited by DutchPride
  • Like 1

I'm hoping for, over 5 years:

Foxtel: $300m for all 142 HAL games + Non World Cup games + ACL games

Ten/SBS: $75m for 27 games + weekly Highlights + $xx FFA Cup games

Optus: $25m online partner.

Very optimistic, if we got that we would be laughing, that'd be 225m+ for the A-League alone.

Do World Cup games slot in under the Ten/SBS section?

From what I read FFA are expecting at least 30m minimum anyway.

Yes and Gary Cahill wanted 120k per week from Chelsea.

Honestly, I think the deal should be a shorter one. Perhaps 3-4 years if possible and then negotiate at the expiration of that deal and seriously up the demand as the league right now is not in the best position to be bargaining a huge increase.

Nice comparison rofl.

17m from 2005 is now worth 21m, you said you would be happy with 25m which is a 9m increase from 17m, so if 17m from 2005 is now worth 21m then a 9m increase would be 30m.

People subscribed to pay tv has gone up 15% in the last 6 years & with the introduction of the FoxFooty channel it will rise ever more, it also means Foxtel will be willing to pay more to hold consistent ratings throughout the year when it comes to Sports.

I want 30m p.a but I think it'll end up being 35-50m

Edited by DutchPride

Look what I think will happen is the deal will be Optus/Foxtel/Ten (One) or SBS

Optus: Online telecast

Foxtel: All games live, ala footy, ACL games, Socceroos

Free-to air Channel: Will broadcast every game for a team from an area per week. So Melbourne would get Heart and Victory every week plus 'game of the round'

All up I reckon FFA will get 350-450 million

One the big three channels would obviously gain the most mainstream exposure. I guess it will all come down to either if the FFA wants the short term cash (Fox Sports), or go free to air and let football be shown to a wider audience which will increase the games exposure and potentially bring in better crowds not only in the long term, but in the immediate future.

Edited by Attila