Melbourne Football

Smartphone discussion

perthheart

Samsung partners with The Iconic to bring Phone’s for Fashion program

Samsung-The-Iconic-Logo.jpg

In an email sent around yesterday, Samsung Australia has announced that they have partnered with fashion website, The Iconic and mobile phone recycler BounceMobile to launch a trade-in service for old mobile phones but with a small twist – they’re offering an option to trade-in mobiles for credit to buy Fashion!

The options are simple, you can still get cash for your old phone from a bank transfer or a deposit into your Paypal account, but you’ll get the most value – up to 20% more – if you decide you want to trade in your mobile for a gift voucher from TheIconic. It’s a bit of a twist on the idea that by and large, phones are becoming mere fashion items as time goes by. Essentially there are people out there who purchase phones more often than clothes.

To be eligible to take part in the program you’ll have to first purchase an eligible Samsung Galaxy smartphone, from an approved retailer – a list of Eligible phones and Retailers can be found in the terms and conditions of the Phones For Fashion website.

Once you have your brand new Galaxy Smartphone in hand you can jump on over to thePhones for Fashions website and enter either the Brand/Model # of your old smartphone or the IMEI to receive an estimated value of your old phone – note – some newer models of phone don’t appear to be listed. If you’re happy with your quote, you can upload two forms of id which allows you to “legally” sell your phone to Samsung. The ID’s can be either upload to the website directly or emailed to Samsung along with the proof of purchase of your new Galaxy smartphone.

Once the order has been confirmed, Samsung will mail you a returns pack, when you receive it simply follow the details given in the instructions and mail it back to Samsung using their free courier pick-up. Samsung will then inspect your old phone, the proofs of purchase and copies of your ID, then confirm your trade-in and process your payment, within 5 business days.

To partake in the trade-in program, you’ll need to be at least 16 years of age and if you are under the age of 18, you’ll need a parent or guardian’s consent. The promo runs from the 26 February 2014 to 26 February 2015. The trade-in service is provided by Bounce Mobile and you’re encouraged to read the full terms and conditions on the website.

If you’ve just purchased a new Samsung Galaxy Smartphone and are wondering what to do with your old smartphone, i’m pretty sure Daniel accepts donations for his ever expanding collection of Mobile Phones – or if you would like some return on it then this could be just what you’re looking for. You can check out TheIconic Android App to get an idea of their range from Google Play.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked with Telstra and they are very good with recontracting, i'd be paying a fairly minimal amount to recontract almost a year early, so in on new phone it seems. s5 is a bit pricey though but that's what i'll probably get, not messing around with inferior brands.

• Like 1

Anybody heard much about the new HTC M8. Supposed to be pretty slick.

Want to have a play with an S5 before signing up for one. This S3 has almost put me off Samsung entirely with its bugging over the past few months.

Doesn't look as good as the Samsung. The only thing I don't like about the s5 is they continue with the cheapo plastic, whereas others have moved to glass and aluminium.

I reckon the HTC One M8 is just a gimmicky upgrade and not a proper new model.

I'm liking the idea of the new Sony being waterproof up to a metre for 1 hour with a 21Mp camera!!

None of the new phones are a big upgrade, the days of big leaps between each phone generation are over. Technology development will move to other devices (smart everythings basically)

Want to have a play with an S5 before signing up for one. This S3 has almost put me off Samsung entirely with its bugging over the past few months.

Doesn't look as good as the Samsung. The only thing I don't like about the s5 is they continue with the cheapo plastic, whereas others have moved to glass and aluminium.

I reckon the HTC One M8 is just a gimmicky upgrade and not a proper new model.

I'm liking the idea of the new Sony being waterproof up to a metre for 1 hour with a 21Mp camera!!

None of the new phones are a big upgrade, the days of big leaps between each phone generation are over. Technology development will move to other devices (smart everythings basically)

I have said this Baz before but what I really want smartphones to improve is in their Battery Life...

Prior to Smartphones - Every upgrade I made since I had my first Mobile in 2001 saw increased Battery Life however the Smart Phones seem to be less and less capable of coping with the amount stuff people do with them.

I am sure I am not the only one who thinks Battery Life is the key to winning bigger sales for the major players.

• Like 1

S5 is available to play with at two voda stores in the city. - as would the M8 be considering it's released...

also - And ATT: @cadete:

HTC have had their latest and greatest toy — the HTC One (M8) — on sale for less than a week, but reports are coming out of Taiwan that the demand for the flagship phone is currently outstripping supply quite considerably. The General Manager of the local distributor stated that the sales were doubling every day since the device went on sale and are now outstripping the availability of the device coming from HTC.

The new HTC One (M8) has some great party tricks but the real seller of the device in comparison to last years model is the significantly better battery life and the much less intrusive Sense 6 which I’m actually fairly impressed with visually, its performance and functionality. HTC suffered some pretty horrible supply issues with the 2013 model which hurt sales. The early indications are good that this years model will surpass its predecessor fairly significantly, it is a very impressive phone so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t.

Millenius are selling the S5 for around 100 bucks off the outright price here: http://www.millennius.com/?s=galaxy+s5&post_type=product

But if you aren't in a rush to buy a phone, or upgrade your plan, i would a couple of months as Google and LG are yet to announce there flagship (currently the Nexus 5 - which i'm really looking at getting atm).

If the Nexus 6 is curved like the rumors are insisting then i will buy the Nexus 5 at an even cheaper price. if it isnt curved, then i might spend the extra hundred and get the latest installment from google.

S5 is available to play with at two voda stores in the city. - as would the M8 be considering it's released...

also - And ATT: @cadete:

HTC have had their latest and greatest toy — the HTC One (M8) — on sale for less than a week, but reports are coming out of Taiwan that the demand for the flagship phone is currently outstripping supply quite considerably. The General Manager of the local distributor stated that the sales were doubling every day since the device went on sale and are now outstripping the availability of the device coming from HTC.

The new HTC One (M8) has some great party tricks but the real seller of the device in comparison to last years model is the significantly better battery life and the much less intrusive Sense 6 which I’m actually fairly impressed with visually, its performance and functionality. HTC suffered some pretty horrible supply issues with the 2013 model which hurt sales. The early indications are good that this years model will surpass its predecessor fairly significantly, it is a very impressive phone so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t.

Millenius are selling the S5 for around 100 bucks off the outright price here: http://www.millennius.com/?s=galaxy+s5&post_type=product

But if you aren't in a rush to buy a phone, or upgrade your plan, i would a couple of months as Google and LG are yet to announce there flagship (currently the Nexus 5 - which i'm really looking at getting atm).

If the Nexus 6 is curved like the rumors are insisting then i will buy the Nexus 5 at an even cheaper price. if it isnt curved, then i might spend the extra hundred and get the latest installment from google.

Good to the issue is being targeted.

HTC were on the verge of bankruptcy before the M7 was released. That phone well and truly saved the company. Now they have taken that phone and upgraded it.

i'm half fortunate that my phone plan ends mid year, i've been following the major companies (and smaller ones) to try and figure out a target device that i want. 

So far the Nexus 5 (made by Lg to mimic the Lg G2) is the way to go. 

But also on my radar are the follwoing:-

-Nexus 6 (reportedly being made by LG - so will mimic the design of the LG G3)

-Oppo Find 7

-One plus One

-Sony Z1 Mini

-Sony Z2 Mini

-Lg G3

Curved screen or curved back?

LG-G-Flex-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-vs-So

Similar to that Baz

Thats called the LG G Flex. its not a glass screen, it s a plastic screen that can 'flex' or bend a little. 

Edited by Deviant

Just a small update, and probably the more important update, about the One plus One device i mentioned earlier. The Price.

23rd of april is when the phone will be announced. consider this:

"The low-end version of the iPhone 5s with 16 gigabytes (GB) of NAND flash memory has a bill of materials (BOM) of $191, according to the preliminary results of a physical dissection of the device conducted by the Teardown Analysis Service at IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS), a leading global source of critical information and insight. When the $8 manufacturing expense is added in, the cost rises to $199. Source:http://goo.gl/pjzYal"

iPhone 5s 16GB selling price (unlocked and contract-free): $649 - $869 in Aus.

From the makers of the One+:

"We will not have a profit margin on the OnePlus One, and are planning a cost breakdown infographic to prove this. Stay tuned."

The way they plan to make their money is on the accessories and marketing.

This device will compete, if not outdo the major brands in regards to performance, customisation ability as well as, what is more important to me Specs and price.

I just hope that the price isn't too fluctuated for the aussie market. 

If you don't want to go on a contract, i suggest this... http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/motorola-moto-g-outright-phone-momotogbk?searchTerm=moto%20g

pretty cheap for what you get.

Diff phones have diff prices.

Diff techniques also have doff prices unfortunately. If it's an iPhone and not updates to the latest firmware. Then probably for free... You just need to ask the right people ;-)

Nah its a Sony Ericson Xperia locked to vodaphone. wanna use it as my interim replacement as my S3 is fucked. Im on optus. 

Diff techniques also have doff prices unfortunately. If it's an iPhone and not updates to the latest firmware. Then probably for free... You just need to ask the right people ;-)

Nah its a Sony Ericson Xperia locked to vodaphone. wanna use it as my interim replacement as my S3 is fucked. Im on optus.

https://unlock.vodafone.com.au

• Like 1

Nah its a Sony Ericson Xperia locked to vodaphone. wanna use it as my interim replacement as my S3 is fucked. Im on optus. https://unlock.vodafone.com.au Out of likes, but yes. That should do it.

If for some reason that it doesn't work. I have an s3 you can use should you need it.

Spoke to the guy at Telstra a couple days ago. He pointed me in the direction of going on a 55 dollar sim only 12 month contract. Considering that I want to buy the phone outright. That looks like the way to go me thinks.

if anyone else is looking to go down the same road i am in buying the phone outright.

Considering the Nexus range of phones are bang for your buck... and the Nexus range is based on the LG 'G series' of phones... The LG G3 (and presumably the Nexus 6) doesn't seem like that it's curved.

LG-G3-Gold.jpg

Although you can't see the damned phone... many people are tipping that it'll be a conventional smart phone.

Double the screen resolution

Top of the line and latest internals

If the nexus 6 is anything like the G3 then i think my mind is made up.

The only other device that could possibly entice me is the 'One Plus - One'. The price is currently being heavily marketed. Sub $400 in your countries currency for the top of the line specs. 

Thats what I was thinking as well. I like my HTC One X its a good phone and does everything I need. I'll probably get a iPhone 5S from work soon enough, but i dont really want one, iPhones are shit.

HTC's Sense 6 UI (i think your One X is running sense 5 still) has been ported to work on the Nexus 5, well, the majority of the features work anyway lol.

Nexus 5 from google is 400-450.

If you wait till the rom becomes stable, the N6 will be out and the price of the N5 will drop by around 100. 350 for a brand new phone is a really good price :) 

Sense 6 ported to Nexus 5

Nexus-5-Sense-6-630x438.png

The Nexus 5 is easily one of the most moddable mobile devices out there. Everything can be unlocked with minimal fuss, and there are more custom ROMs than you could count. Most of the ROMs that are available though, are based off AOSP or one of its derivatives. OEM-specific ROMs are usually pretty-well locked to the handsets made by that OEM. For example, you don’t see Touchwiz ROMs for HTC phones, or vice-versa.

It’s interesting then to see this morning that some enterprising developer has managed to get a Sense 6 ROM up-and-running on a Nexus 5. And what is surprising is how much is actually working. The developer is emphasising that the ROM is very much in an alpha stage, but apparently the touchsceen, SIM card, SMS and phone calls, WiFi, internal storage, vibration, bluetooth and the various sensors are all working fine. I guess it helps that the HTC One M8 shares the same Snapdragon 800 system-on-a-chip as the Nexus 5.

If you’re feeling adventurous, or just getting a bit bored of the stock Android look and want to see what’s so great about manufacturer UIs, download the ROM from the source link below. I’d like to repeat the developer’s warning though: this is an extremely alpha ROM and should not be used as your daily driver. You could break your phone.

I use NovaLauncher ever since I got my first Android. Sense is to resource hungry.

Have you tried 'Themer'?

The only issue I have with my current phone is that its not going to get an update from 4.2.2 unless I flash it myself.

My Omnirom is running 90%, or there abouts, stable. With updates daily if i choose to update it. It uses a fuck load less resources than samsungs touchwiz. 

Get onto the custom rom train...  :up:

I used to on my SonyEricsson Xperia X10, but that device was a bit of spud and Sony just ignored all support for it. To much trouble.

Was so happy when HTC actually supported the One X, and stock roms were fine. If I keep it I will definitely fuck with it.

I'd recommend you keep it, at least for the next 3 months, by then you can make a clear and concise decision as all companies would have announced or released their flagship device.

CyanogenMod would be a good one to get onto for your device... hint hint lol 

Furthermore: CM 10.2 (most stable version of the rom for your phone) is based on android 4.3

Unstable versions let you venture into android 4.4.2 land. 

Edited by Deviant

I used to on my SonyEricsson Xperia X10, but that device was a bit of spud and Sony just ignored all support for it. To much trouble.

Was so happy when HTC actually supported the One X, and stock roms were fine. If I keep it I will definitely fuck with it.

I'd recommend you keep it, at least for the next 3 months, by then you can make a clear and concise decision as all companies would have announced or released their flagship device.

CyanogenMod would be a good one to get onto for your device... hint hint lol 

Furthermore: CM 10.2 (most stable version of the rom for your phone) is based on android 4.3

Unstable versions let you venture into android 4.4.2 land. 

CyanogenMod is what I used to use actually. 

I believe HTC's reason for lack of 4.4 is the performance specs of the HOX, which is a bit of shame. I'm assuming a slimmed down custom rom will run just fine tho.