Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart Youth vs Adelaide Youth

Dynamo_Melb_Warrior

It was a disappointing result. We were well on top in the first half, especially when they went down to 10 men. A very typical predatory goal by Zac Walker, but we began to slow our build-up down (just like the seniors) until it became ponderous and predictable. We were very flat immediately after the break, Adelaide lifted the tempo with Teeboy Kamara on, and were very dangerous on the counter. So really, the style of play adopted by the club is bringing the same sorts of results - everyone has worked out how to play against us. We brought on Alon Blumgart and he lifted us, but there were just too many long balls hit in hope, and forwards trying to dribble three or four defenders - losing it in the end of course. Deja vu. However we could have snatched it at the end when a ball went begging well inside the 6-yard box but there was no-one there to tap it home.

Fred was on for about 30 minutes. TBH he didn't do a lot, and when he went off he immediately put ice on his left groin area. I don't think he's ready yet. Taseski didn't make an impression on me one way or the other, but good to see him back on the field. Adrian Zahra was on for the full 90 but IMO he's trying to do too much by himself. My stand-outs today were Jeremy Walker and Alon Blumgart.

IMO the problem with our 4-3-3 is that we push the RB and LB too far forward. The opposition just crowd us out and wait for us to lose the ball and then they hit us quick and hard on the counter, exposing the two CBs. IMO what we should be doing is 4-2-4...creating the width in our attacks by bringing the wingers back deeper rather than the full-backs pushing up. We'd have more more bodies in defence, and two strikers up in the business end playing off each other. It's just so noticeable that we are exposed at the back time and time again, and up front we don't create clear shots at goal. Goes for both teams, not just the NYL.

Anyway, enough football for this weekend.

Awesome write up thanks for that.

Some concern then that wasn't reported.

Also interesting on your thoughts on the system we play. It's amazing isnt it, after the Sydney game, we were lauded, the press was amazing for us and JVS was considered a tactical mastermind. The Victory game that week sort of made it so how he changed from a 343 to a 433 to get ontop.

It will be an interesting process we make. Milicic may continue the exact same philosophy that JVS has adapted whereas someone from the outside will tweak it to the way they want.

I just want to win.

In part it's the system, but I think this weekend showed that for both squads it's also the players. They appear to be down on confidence, and that shows in their game.

Both games this weekend were characterised by a fair bit of dominant possession in the back 2/3rds of the pitch, which would be great if we got three points for holding possession. We don't. The build up is too slow and ponderous, our midfielders are currently unable to play any dangerous balls forward. This is also the fault of the front three, who generally have been looking very very lethargic, and waiting for the ball to be delivered to their feet, then trying to turn their defender.

We get results when we play swift counter attacking football. At the moment, we're happy to play 'attractive' football to a particular 'system'. The baseline issue is that this attractive football is not getting results, which is what the game is all about.

Anyone up for some four-four-fuckin'-two?

Further - I thought Patterson had an industrious game today, but ended the match frustrated with the lack of movement from our forwards. Blumgart I thought was no better or worse than the rest of the squad, but at least he looked a bit more lively. Z. Walker is a gun and deserves a run off the bench this Friday night against GCU. He's got a knack for poaching that Maycon sadly lacks, so we can't do any worse.

Our CB #3 was a lot better this week I thought though. He still plays too many balls back to the GK, or horizontal, but he was a lot more solid in defense I thought.

In short, both squads lack any sort of creativity at the moment, whether it be a personnel issue or a confidence issue, it needs to be changed quickly if we want to play finals.

is blumgart still injured?

Not from what I saw. He looks fine.

Further - I thought Patterson had an industrious game today, but ended the match frustrated with the lack of movement from our forwards. Blumgart I thought was no better or worse than the rest of the squad, but at least he looked a bit more lively. Z. Walker is a gun and deserves a run off the bench this Friday night against GCU. He's got a knack for poaching that Maycon sadly lacks, so we can't do any worse.

Our CB #3 was a lot better this week I thought though. He still plays too many balls back to the GK, or horizontal, but he was a lot more solid in defense I thought.

In short, both squads lack any sort of creativity at the moment, whether it be a personnel issue or a confidence issue, it needs to be changed quickly if we want to play finals.

Thanks Ando for some independent thoughts on the game. It's easy to get carried away by one's own assessments. I must agree that I also like Brodie Patterson, hard working and has a hell of a shot on him as well. I mentioned Blumgart mainly because I noted how hard he worked to get himself far enough back so that his first touch of the ball was forwards. So many of of our players (very obvious in the seniors) have a first touch that is backwards, which only gives the opposition more time to get back to crowd us out.

#3 in the NYL squad is Kristian Konstantinidis

On the formation? I don't really mind how we mix it up, but clearly just slavish persistence with 4-3-3 has proven that it just doesn't work, and I think we need to be far more fluid in our tactical approach. Even during season 2010-11 we talked (on the RWU forum) about having a 'Plan B'. Never has it been more obvious than now that our on-field tactics have to change.