Melbourne Football

Youth Team - Goal Tally

LR9

I'd like to see players like Zac Walker given a chance to train with the first team and in an internal trial so he has a good chance to shine. I believe he did not play last weekend. Probably because Zahra was given a full 90 to get match fit. It is very hard when you only get less than half a game to prove yourself. He still has 7 goals in limited time. Jeremy Walker is a very focused player who I believe is one for the future. I read somewhere that the club mentioned that there were no fewer than 5 players in the youth squad that had the tools to play A-League. Hopefully they get the chance to train on with the first team soon or when the youth team season ends.

As I pointed out elsewhere, no fewer than five spots were filled by senior squad members at the weekend, plus a goalkeeper whose name I couldn't catch because there's no PA on that side of the ground. This limits the number of NYL players who get a game, and is really one of the drawbacks of the NYL as it is set up at the moment. So we see someone such as, say, Maycon, getting an hour on the pitch for zero purpose (IMO), whilst boys like Walker don't get a kick. In the games I've seen, Zac has pretty much been used as a substitute, so his performance is pretty good considering actual time on the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

NYL player goal tally:

11 - Zac Walker

4 - Craig Goodwin

3 - David Williams

2 - Zahra, Andraijasevic, Bosnjak

1 - Groenewald, Kalmar, Babalj, J. Walker, Worm, Petreski, Peluso

O.G. - Oxborrow (1)

Total - 32

The lad's scored more than a 3rd of the whole teams tally, whilst playing more than half the season of the bench!