Melbourne Football

Melbourne Aces.

dRoy

Well guys and gals... WE WON!!!!!

We won the last two games of the prelim series today. 15-3 and 14-4. Tore them a new one.

So now we are headed to the grand final! The championship series!!!

We vs Perth Heat (reigning Champs) in Perth and it will be broadcast on Foxtel, best of 3 game series. Sweeeeeeet!!!

So a couple of guys and injured Aces are looking for a pub to watch the Friday night game at. I suggested the Imperial. They agreed. So how do I make sure that one of the many TVs at the Imperial has the baseball on? Do I need to call up?? Help.

• 4 months later...

Yeh, finally the aces officially announced that they will be playing at Altona for the next 3 years. We heard rumors about it for The past 2 months. Not good news for me and the Hangar. As most of them are from my region. SE melb.

Hopefully the club will supply a courtesy bus for the SE melb members who don't want to take a train or battle the west gate via car.

Memberships are now finally on sale! $140 for a full membership (tickets to every home game) or $60 for a supporters membership (ticket to the first game).

I'll be buying the $60 one, as I dont see myself going to more games than last year. (went to about 20%, due to work and MHFC games).

PDF of Memberships

http://web.theabl.com.au/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35019328&vkey=news_t4067&fext=.jsp&sid=t4067

Not related but the great Ichiro traded to the Yankees, good move for the bloke. 10 time All-Star, MLB 322. average, 10 time golden glove, will probably finally add the only thing missing in his collection, the world series ring at the end of the coming season.

Anyway,

Droy got some questions, I'm looking for a club to play for.

a) For amateur baseball, does it start in winter?

B) Potential clubs that are accessible by PT?

c) How do the divisions work?

I've played state level here, and a high level in Japan and more notably my former State league rep teammates actually play in the ABL now, so I'd like to think I'd be fairly decent. I wouldn't mind if you can give me a list of clubs that play in the higher levels, if not, I'm equally happy starting from the bottom. Just wanna play some ball.

Not Droy however,

Winter Season is about mid way through right now, Summer ball comes back in October. Did you have a preferance of playing baseball in the winter? What area of melbourne are you from? With your background I'd most likely look for a Division one/A-grade club (Depending on season and league) might not play in the first team to begin with but should provide a better place to start back at. Also a reliance on PT could become a bit of an issue for some grounds, however you'll generally be able to find a team member might be able to provide a lift to some games if needed.

Not Droy however,

Winter Season is about mid way through right now, Summer ball comes back in October. Did you have a preferance of playing baseball in the winter? What area of melbourne are you from? With your background I'd most likely look for a Division one/A-grade club (Depending on season and league) might not play in the first team to begin with but should provide a better place to start back at. Also a reliance on PT could become a bit of an issue for some grounds, however you'll generally be able to find a team member might be able to provide a lift to some games if needed.

Cheers mate.

Yeah, away games shouldn't be a problem. Would be preferable if home games can be accessed by PT, I currently live in Richmond. I don't mind playing in the summer.

So what have you got for me hammer?

Malvern have a pretty sweet set up. I've never been but it looks good from the monash.

Summer baseball is the way to go. It's on Sunday's. Either 1pm or 3pm.

St Kilda are pretty strong. They play at Albert Park. In second div.

Preston are also a strong team. Had many Aces players last season.

Just thought id add my two cents about a sport I dont follow particularly closely on a local level.

Iam what you call one of the possible converts. I don't have the passion for the game to go and source it out or to try that hard to get there BUT i am willing to support virtually ANY mlebourne sporting cause and usually do that with my money. I hold memberships to 6 different sporting codes and attend many more.

Over the past 2 years I've been to probably 8?? or so ACES games. Always with friends, on the terps in the sunshine and watching blokes swing for the fences. Myself and four mates were planning to purchase season tickets as a result of our previous experience at ACES matches.

It's a shame Baseball Vic(or whatever they are called) has decided to move the ACES home field from the showgrounds out to Laverton. I've heard the reasons for the move were scheduling conflicts and the availability of a purpose built stadium/diamond at the new revamped location. It makes sense I suppose but the sad thing is they will lose the non-diehards like myself. Its just too isolated.

I was willing to enjoy some quality melbourne sport at a central location where transport was not an issue and it didn't mean sacrificing the entire day to attend.

I wont be travelling out to Lavo nor will i or my mates be fronting up our hard earned to purchase season tickets due to the hugely heightened commitment in attending each week.

I know those of you who are passionate couldn't give a fuck if some part timers like me or mates don't rock up any longer but the problem is the sport needs the non-converted to front up and I just can't see how this will help.

MY TWO CENTS.

That's what most people are upset about with the move. I can see myself going to opening night, and then maybe 5 more games of the season. 6 out of 23 games.

I couldn't justify buying a full membership, but I wanted tI keep my member #29 card. So luckily they produced a supporters membership! $70.

I'm also pretty disappointed they've moved home base. To look on the bright side though at least it's purpose built for the sport (Showgrounds were a nightmare without shade/roofing) and it's not a hell of a lot further, Flemington was already far so an extra 20mins isn't the end of the world.

I'm also pretty disappointed they've moved home base. To look on the bright side though at least it's purpose built for the sport (Showgrounds were a nightmare without shade/roofing) and it's not a hell of a lot further, Flemington was already far so an extra 20mins isn't the end of the world.

You're obviously coming from the other side ie South East?? but Flemington is a 10min tram ride from the CBD. Not gonna get much more central than that for a minority sport.

Renegades? Even after everyone realized Stars is the team to be with? Haha.

People say that Altona is only 10-15 mins from the Showgrounds. They must be talking about by car, in the middle of the night. As its gets rather busy on the westgate during peak hour and it's a longer train ride to Altona from the city.

The good thing about this season is that we will get games broadcast online! (Y)

• 1 month later...

Aces are announcing 7 new signings in 7 days.

First one is a prospect from Kansas City Royals.

http://web.theabl.com.au/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120912&content_id=38299392&vkey=news_t4067&fext=.jsp&sid=t4067

Day one of the Jet Couriers Melbourne Aces' SuperSeven series reveals the signing of Kansas City Royals prospect, Carlo Testa.

The 25-year-old outfielder is one of the first MLB-affiliated imports to be allocated to an Australian Baseball League club for the 2012-13 season. Testa, who was drafted in the 18th round of the 2008 amateur draft, is fresh off a 113-game season with the Royals' AA Northwest Arkansas Naturals.

The left-handed hitter achieved healthy results at the plate, finishing with a 0.245 batting average including 54 runs batted in and 15 home runs. He also had 12 stolen bases.

The Ohio native was plucked out of college by the Royals as a free-hitting, mature-aged recruit with "a tremendous competitive spirit." Testa was named in the Texas League's mid-season All Star team in July.

Jet Couriers Melbourne Aces manager, Phil Dale, said Testa would be a handy addition to the line-up. "Carlo's got a good bat and he's a solid outfielder which is good because we needed a little bit more depth out there."

Dale said he was looking forward to seeing Testa mixing it with the best in Australia. "The Royals wouldn't be spending the money to bring him out here if he wasn't a prospect."

General manager, Windsor Knox, welcomed Testa to the organisation. "It's an exciting day for our fans and our ball club to be associated with the Kansas City Royals for another season. We're looking forward to having Carlo roam the grounds out at Melbourne Ballpark."

Testa's signing comes after Royals' prospect, Kevin David's acquisition in 2011-12. David helped guide the club to the Championships from behind the plate last season.

• 1 month later...

Aces opening round is this weekend!!!

We play Adelaide Bite. Who are coming off 3 losses vs Perth Heat last week.

Game 1 is Friday night (clashes with Roar game) 7:35.

Game 2 is Saturday at 5:05.

Game 3 is Sunday at 1:05.

I'll be going to game 1. My only game for the season as its too far away from Berwick. It's the only game I have a ticket for.

Post game at impy sounds good.