Melbourne Football

Shit just got real

Tesla

No distinction. What is my favourite is also my best. Fuck the rest.

really?

I have a few favourite tracks that I just love every time I hear them but am under no illusion they are the best ie Regulate - Warren G. ft Nate Dogg, Shimmy Shimmy Ya - ODB etc.

Some of my favourite tracks to listen to but certainly not the best in terms of production, skill, flow, message etc

really?

I have a few favourite tracks that I just love every time I hear them but am under no illusion they are the best ie Regulate - Warren G. ft Nate Dogg, Shimmy Shimmy Ya - ODB etc.

Some of my favourite tracks to listen to but certainly not the best in terms of production, skill, flow, message etc

This is gonna be hard for me to word on a Friday afternoon but I have no care for other people's 'Best' lists or what they consider 'Better' than other things. Too many people tying to make Music a science (Like sport) when there is no real definitive answer, each to their own. For me music is about the sound innit? You can make a song as complex as you want with as many messages but if I don't like the sound of it I won't listen to it.

It's like this with me for Movies as well. Couldn't get through half of Inception without switching off becuase it bored the fuck out of me, but I can watch Bio-Dome continiously if need be.

This is gonna be hard for me to word on a Friday afternoon but I have no care for other people's 'Best' lists or what they consider 'Better' than other things. Too many people tying to make Music a science (Like sport) when there is no real definitive answer, each to their own. For me music is about the sound innit? You can make a song as complex as you want with as many messages but if I don't like the sound of it I won't listen to it.

It's like this with me for Movies as well. Couldn't get through half of Inception without switching off becuase it bored the fuck out of me, but I can watch Bio-Dome continiously if need be.

I get what your saying, and kind of agree, but then again I disagree more than I agree.

If I didnt make a distinction I'd be here posting that Childish Gambino > *

and I'd have no way to back that up as there isnt anything special about his tehcnique or flow or rhyme schemes or lyrical content or anything really.

Edited by Tesla

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

01. Kendrick Lamar: good kid, m.A.A.d city [interscope/Top Dawg]

Kendrick Lamar is the first to admit he comes on too strong. His 2011 album Section.80 was presented as a manifesto; its visionary follow-up, good kid, m.A.A.d. city, is subtitled "A Short Film By Kendrick Lamar." It's variously been described in even loftier terms: West Coast hip-hop incarnate, a morality play guided equally by Jeezy and Jesus, the most important major-label rap album in nearly a decade. It's all of those things, and after selling more than 500,000 copies in its first two months, it's safe to call it something more simple: a hit record.

Don't underestimate the importance of this last fact. Section.80 was an auspicious and promising album but it was hardly flawless. To improve, Lamar needed investments of talent, trust, and money. Without a broader belief in his vision, Kendrick doesn't repurpose his thrilling lyrical technique to vividly embody the characters who occupy these self-contained and heartfelt parables. Nor does he unify them through linear and non-linear narrative devices that turn good kid into an open-ended soundworld as vast as Compton itself but as detailed and intimate as a journal entry. And you don't assemble this roster of production and guest rappers without expecting a return on said investment: Just Blaze, Pharrell, Dr. Dre, and Hit-Boy create beats that serve as living environments, lush and warm when expressing joy in the experience of music and young lust, sinister and hard when penetrated by the gang violence and abuse of South Central L.A. that remains a constant in Kendrick's life.

The merger of multifaceted storytelling and exquisite music results in a tremendous payoff on "The Art of Peer Pressure", the 12-minute stunner "Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst", and "Real," ambitious numbers that likened good kid to similar art-rap opuses like Aquemini, Black On Both Sides, and, yes, Illmatic. But the overwhelming response assures its legend is still being crafted outside the controlled environment of critical opinion. Everything that made you second-guess its "classic" attribution is the result of earned ubiquity-- overuse of "ya bish," Lady Gaga demanding "her" version of "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" be heard, dozens of Soundcloud rappers butchering the "Backseat Freestyle" beat, frat parties misconstruing the entire point of "Swimming Pools (Drank)", the debates about whether "Compton" was even necessary as a closer. Those are the cost of doing business when you ascend to this level of The Slim Shady LP, Doggystyle, or Ready to Die, records that are eternal for both their artistic achievements and their constant presence in cars, radio playlists, parties, and discussions among people who may never set eyes upon a year-end list.

Towards the end of good kid, Kendrick's mother pleads with him to "tell your story to these black and brown kids of Compton...give back with your words of encouragement." The scope of this album goes far beyond Compton, but her words serve as a fitting coda for a song where Kendrick meditates on what makes him matter. good kid gives of itself. So while the achievement is Kendrick's, the music belongs to everyone: Whether it's other rappers, industry heads, or listeners hoping for redemption after being let down by the former two, everyone can leave good kid, m.A.A.d. city dreaming of something bigger. --Ian Cohen

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9017-the-top-50-albums-of-2012/5/

#1 album of the year according to Pitchfork, big honor considering they're fairly rock focused.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...