Melbourne Football

FFA about to be balling out of control?

Tesla

$35mil per year for A-League games under new TV deal, could be as low as $28mil a year though due to comissions.

Plus $6mil a year from AFC for national team games.

Minimum of $4mil from Optus for digital rights

Plus any friendly home NT games

Better than current deal, but worse than what FFA were offered in 2009 for a combined pay and FTA deal.

Back then, News Limited reported that FFA had turned down an offer of $60 million annually for an updated TV deal from 2010-11 to 2014-15 which was a combined Fox Sports/free-to-air component, but not including the digital component. It has been reported since that the actual amount offered was closer to $42 million per annum. Assuming the $42 million is in the right ballpark, it would have put an additional $63 million into the game over three years (up to 2012-13) and added $84 million to take it up to what was proposed in that offer as the new end date (to 2014-15).

http://sportbizinsider.com.au/opinion/the-rights-stuff-how-lowy-tinkler-deal-put-ffa-back-on-course-for-a-league-broadcast-bonanza/

Pretty good news, if accurate, but if FFA took the deal in 2009 the league would be in such different shape by now.

5 Stars for thread title, chuckled like a mad man.

However, I'm not getting excited until a contract is actually signed, and the money starts coming in. I've heard too much false speculation in regards to this league in the past to know better.

5 Stars for thread title, chuckled like a mad man.

However, I'm not getting excited until a contract is actually signed, and the money starts coming in. I've heard too much false speculation in regards to this league in the past to know better.

Maybe check the author of the article, gives it a bit more credibility ;)

I wouldn't think so, Lyall Gorman was speaking about West Sydney's youth league side on Friday.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea (to kill it off). It's a bit of a wast of time (and money) IMO.

An 18 game season, honestly don't even bother. It's simply not enough.

The alternatives would be to:

- Have each HAL club aligned with a club from the proposed APL, and feed your youth through there.

- Allow each club to enter a 'reserves' side into thier local state league (or summer league if they want to aligning with the HAL), you get just as good or better standard for these youths to play in.

It's fucking bullshit that Newy get to enter a side in thier local league (NSW North).

Edited by LR9

Is this proposed move going to essentially align the state league's into a quasi-conference system like seen in the UK. I for one would love to see the state leagues form underneath the A-league. Perhaps then a finals series could be played between the winning clubs of each of the different state leagues. The finals series would obviously have to be FFA funded though. No way would you be able to move forward to making teams able to gain promotion to the A-league as of yet at least. Would instantly fold any a-league team that is relegated.

Is this proposed move going to essentially align the state league's into a quasi-conference system like seen in the UK. I for one would love to see the state leagues form underneath the A-league. Perhaps then a finals series could be played between the winning clubs of each of the different state leagues. The finals series would obviously have to be FFA funded though. No way would you be able to move forward to making teams able to gain promotion to the A-league as of yet at least. Would instantly fold any a-league team that is relegated.

I think they will eventually (probably years away) have promotion/relegation because AFAIK no ethnic teams will be let into APL.

After cadete's and FB's posts I have a feeling it will be summer league style geographically based teams used.

Edited by Tesla

As someone who has grown up on the west coast I have a marginal understanding of the issues with ethnic clubs on the east coast. I completely understand the move towards clubs without a completely homogeneous ethnic base. But was the issue with not allowing them into the A-league that the old ethnic clubs were not willing to open up membership to other groups of people or that the A-League/FFA gave them no chance to demonstrate a change had been made. I largely switched off the local australian game in the years leading up to and just after the creation of the a-league.

I would still like to think that the clubs that have the most history in this country would one day be able to field teams in the top league again. Provided they had shown that they had met a set of criteria that are both performance, financially and structurally based. That and so that I can one day see the mighty Windmills FC take their place at the top of the australian game and reclaim the rightful Dutch rule over Terra Australis that the British stole from us.

I think they will eventually (probably years away) have promotion/relegation because AFAIK no ethnic teams will be let into APL.

Chuckled at the word 'years' being used to soften the truth, centuries to a Millennium away would have sufficed. :P

Australia's population would have to more than double to ever support such an idea.