Melbourne Football

The Fallen

Hendo

Remember those players that were on pretty good contracts (or peanuts), touted as the next big thing, came from pretty much nothing, even secured a move overseas, but has fallen into the pit of obscurity to never hear from again?

This is the place.

Off the top of my head, the biggest one that comes to my mind is.

0,,10428%7E3350141,00.jpg

Allan Picken - CB, 190cm, picked up from the state leagues by the Jets in 05/06, he was a part time concreter at the time, on minimum wage at the newy, made 22 appearances and was a fucking rock in defense, did so well in his first season in the competition he got signed by Walsall at the end of 2006. Started really well, but did his knee two games in and hasn't played football since 2007.

Tae fuck.

Probably back in sydney concreting now.

I'll add more as it comes to me.

Edited by Hendo

Kaz Patafta, Attacking Midfielder, was in the pre-2006 World Cup Squad @ 17 or 18

Had strong interest from PSV because of Hiddink, then was at Benfica, then had short stints @ Victory & Newcastle, been a free-agent for a year now.

What a fucking disappointment he was.

Bill Damianos back in the day was an absolute jet at South Melbourne (Between 94 and 98). He made the big mistake of going to Greece to play after the World Club Championship and then came back and has been just hacking around in the VPL for a few years. Not even sure if he is still playing.

Matthew Park is another. Was at the AIS and played for the Joeys in 2005 and was quickly signed up by Hearts but he hasn't played a game for them in 6 years and is playing for East Fife in the Scottish 2nd Division, which would be a very low standard IMO.

You can also add Sarkies to that list. Although he has been unlucky with injuries he was touted as the next big thing and was training with the squad at the 2006 World Cup.

Bill Damianos back in the day was an absolute jet at South Melbourne (Between 94 and 98). He made the big mistake of going to Greece to play after the World Club Championship and then came back and has been just hacking around in the VPL for a few years. Not even sure if he is still playing.

Very good bloke. Was lucky enough to play with him a few years ago. He's still kicking around, can't remember where off the top of my head.