Melbourne Football

QR codes with chant sheets.

alexiano

Just thinking, the Yarraside app needs an update which I'm working on at the moment. It fixes a bug with iOS7 not fetching the latest chants.

I was considering putting in a feature into the app that would launch the app and show a particular chant.

The idea is that physical chant sheets would have a QR code for the Yarraside members to scan to listen to the audio/video of the chant.

Makes it easier to bring it up. People at the games may then keep the chant sheets for later referral as well.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I think I mentioned it a while back to you Alex, but there is also a bug in the Android version of the app where it will sometimes show the video and/or audio icons incorrectly (on chants that don't have audio/video)in the chant list. Also there is another bug where it crashes when fetching the latest chants and you have to reopen the app to see the new chant list.

QR code idea is good. All the chants in the DB already have a unique id, so if you need to use an id in the QR codes, it would only take me a second to have an ID field outputted to the JSON feed.

I reckon somehow incorporating a chant per home game into the app would be best

I was thinking about this last season when we had a chant of the week, which we could restart this season, it would be a nice feature in the app where there is a chant of the week at the top of the chants list, maybe with a different font in the list or an icon or something to signify it's special. Actually, since the app just displays the chants in the order it gets them from the feed, I added a chant of the week field to the chants db and that chant gets outputted first in the feed (and so it displays first in the app), so even if Alex doesn't add a feature for it in the app we can still have a chant of the week at the top of the list, but it would be nice if Alex added something special for it in the app beyond just being first on the list to make it stand out a bit more.

• Like 1

Brilliant Tes. Saves me asking you for a new ID field. Are you able to add that to the feed for me (or at least create a new one in case it breaks the existing one) with both the ID and COTW Boolean.

The android version is also getting some love so I'll see if I can address both. I'm also adding caching to the audio for android (android has to re-download the audio every time)

I think that sounds like a good idea, but lets be realistic. We are only there for 90mins and people should be watching the football, not checking their phones for updates. The capo has no time to keep track of a phone for chant suggestions, on top of watching the game themselves and trying to pump the crowd at the same time. If you want to do a chant just yell it out. Or if you and your mates want to, just start the chant during a quiet moment. Just dont try and sing over the top of something that is already going or keep trying to start your own one if it clearly isnt catching on :)

I think that sounds like a good idea, but lets be realistic. We are only there for 90mins and people should be watching the football, not checking their phones for updates. The capo has no time to keep track of a phone for chant suggestions, on top of watching the game themselves and trying to pump the crowd at the same time. If you want to do a chant just yell it out. Or if you and your mates want to, just start the chant during a quiet moment. Just dont try and sing over the top of something that is already going or keep trying to start your own one if it clearly isnt catching on :)

Oh c'mon

I was going to request mr Capo to play "never gonna give you up" by Rick Astley

Can I can I ???

Fkn children

Just an idea, since we have the app, it may be possible to make a notification system so it lets users know what chant is currently being chanted, and when there is a change of chant. Even a part where people could suggest chants for the capo to start.

This was on the cards, but the app already has a simpler notification system. If you can't be heard by the capo, you can bring up a chant you want to suggest and turn the phone to its side. It will put in _bigger_ text the chant name

post-360-0-83862100-1383949550_thumb.png

Just an idea, since we have the app, it may be possible to make a notification system so it lets users know what chant is currently being chanted, and when there is a change of chant. Even a part where people could suggest chants for the capo to start.

Or just maybe...... I know its a bit out there, but people could just follow the capo  :up:

Honestly if we had to resort to a phone notification system for atmosphere I would leave.

The app would serve best as a learning resource for people who are new and don't know the chants or for regulars to learn the new ones.

Edited by Joel21

Hi guys,

The Yarraside iOS app has been enhanced to fix a few bugs, and include some new features.

The Android app is also getting some love via a work-mate of mine.

New features (iOS):

* Chant of the Week (highlighted)

* Optimised for bigger iPhone5 (5S + 5C)

* QR/link detection

* Bugfix to refreshing chant list for iOS6 and iOS7

Mainly the features are the QR code feature, so you'll be able to launch the app when you scan a code (or click a particular link).

Chant of the Week (can be re-used)

post-360-0-12179800-1384152846_thumb.png

Particular chant by ID

post-360-0-94035800-1384152897_thumb.png

Chant by search

post-360-0-12826400-1384152924_thumb.png

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!

I hope the result this Fri will be better than the last. However, the chanting was top.

Just a quick question and im Not sure if this is the right forum but, what do i have to do to get the chants as my ringtone?

Hahah.. Interesting question. Depends on whether you've got android or iOS. both are possible I guess

Hi lads.. I've you've got an Android device, can you please try this link out, and tell me if it DOESN'T work along with what device and OS version you have.. Just PM me.. Curious to know whether it'll hold up.

http://bit.ly/yside

The Apple app still crashes when I press the refresh button

I reinstalled the app, no chants, refresh still crashes it :(