Melbourne Football

best /worst away days?

BenArfas twinkle toes

after the fun in Sydney last night and seeing as western Sydney is a Shithole just wondering what everyones experiences are from away travel?

best and worst places you have followed your club or country to?

mine would be following newcastle to Sunderland and England in Poland being the scariest away days I have had.... rangers at Celtic was good as well but the fact they play each other so often the police have it down pat and it's not as nervy as it would of been back in the 80's etc

Besiktas Away last year. Craziest I'd ever been on.

Long and the short of it, had tickets to the match organised through a cousin who has relations with one of the main supporter crews.

Due to cheating scandal that had affected both clubs, tensions were especially raised & the Football federation engaged in all manners of bullshit prior to the match in trying too discourage Away fans from getting to the game. Normal protocol for fans is get to the ground several hours beforehand, but had every trick pulled on us to not make that possible. Ended up getting marched around the block umpteen times before getting to the stadium, then having to be kept outside just as the match got underway before finally getting in and being trapped inside the concourse after 20 minutes of the match had passed outside, with only one door open to get about 3,000 fans into the Away section. Que some violent thrashing, and shouting before a gate gets knocked down and about 2,000 lads charge onto the field mid-match to take over the Away Bay. Managed to squeze in through the back entrance and we've got blokes charging up the railings to get into section from outside, with the Police hurridly forming a line to stop a mass pitch invasion of the ground whilst missiles rain down on us from the main stands.

Ridiculous scenes.

Ended up coming back from 2-1 down to level it 2-2 in the 90th minute. Almost felt like a win that day.

BJK fans finished the game by throwing all their scarfs onto the pitch in disgust over the result.

In Aus, probably have a few stories which I might post later. Melbourne derbies are the only ones that ever really come close to the above though, in any respect.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 1

Besiktas Away last year. Craziest I'd ever been on.

Long and the short of it, had tickets to the match organised through a cousin who has relations with one of the main supporter crews.

Due to cheating scandal that had affected both clubs, tensions were especially raised & the Football federation engaged in all manners of bullshit prior to the match in trying too discourage Away fans from getting to the game. Normal protocol for fans is get to the ground several hours beforehand, but had every trick pulled on us to not make that possible. Ended up getting marched around the block umpteen times before getting to the stadium, then having to be kept outside just as the match got underway before finally getting in and being trapped inside the concourse after 20 minutes of the match had passed outside, with only one door open to get about 3,000 fans into the Away section. Que some violent thrashing, and shouting before a gate gets knocked down and about 2,000 lads charge onto the field mid-match to take over the Away Bay. Managed to squeze in through the back entrance and we've got blokes charging up the railings to get into section from outside, with the Police hurridly forming a line to stop a mass pitch invasion of the ground whilst missiles rain down on us from the main stands.

Ridiculous scenes.

Ended up coming back from 2-1 down to level it 2-2 in the 90th minute. Almost felt like a win that day.

BJK fans ended up throwing all their scarfs onto the pitch in disgust over the result.

In Aus, probably have a few stories which I might post later. Melbourne derbies are the only ones that ever really come close to the above though, in any respect.

now that's what I am talking about :) brilliant memories and what away travel is all about

both joker park and stadium of shite... been to 5 away games against them..

Roker park looked like it would have been a crazy stadium to visit. Particularly for the derby. I remember watching (on TV) the derby where they did not allow Newcastle supporters into Roker (I think it was 96). When Newcastle scored it was so weirdly silent!

On a kind of related topic, it reminded me of this famous pic by Stuart Roy Clarke

derby.png

Roker park looked like it would have been a crazy stadium to visit. Particularly for the derby. I remember watching (on TV) the derby where they did not allow Newcastle supporters into Roker (I think it was 96). When Newcastle scored it was so weirdly silent!

On a kind of related topic, it reminded me of this famous pic by Stuart Roy Clarke

derby.png

it's something that's very rarely seen but good to see... it's normally more like this