Melbourne Football

Michelle Heyman

Murfy1

Matildas striker Michelle Heyman in sights of Melbourne City after signing Lisa De Vanna

July 11, 2015

Lee Gaskin

Matildas striker Michelle Heyman and goalkeeper Lydia Williams are in the sights of Melbourne City, but reigning W-League champions Canberra United won't be giving up their international duo without a fight.

Melbourne City signalled their intention to make a splash in their first season in the W-League by announcing the signing of Matildas captain Lisa De Vanna on Saturday.

Heyman and Williams are also on their radar after impressive performances for the Matildas at the Women's World Cup in Canada.

Canberra United are desperate to retain Heyman after she played an integral role in winning the championship last season, while Williams has made a successful return from a knee reconstruction.

Canberra United chief executive Heather Reid said Melbourne City had made approaches to several Matildas.

"They're in conversation with a whole range of national team players, including Lydia Williams and Michelle Heyman as far as I understand," Reid said.

"We'll be aiming to meet with them as soon as possible. 

"My priority next week is to write to all of last year's squad and basically ask them what their attentions are for coming back and then go from there in terms of finalising offers and knowing where the gaps might be."

Heyman is currently playing for Western New York Flash in the US National Women's Soccer League, but is expected to be available for the W-League.

Williams sat out the last W-League season recovering from a knee reconstruction, but had been an integral part of Canberra United since the club started in 2008.

City's addition to the women's competition has rivals on edge that they will have their best talent poached given their ties to English giants Manchester City.

"On one hand, I think it's great another club is coming into the league, however a club that has such great financial backing as Melbourne City has having from Manchester City, will skew the market," Reid said.

"It will impact on the capacity of other clubs to maintain their rosters and the biggest impact will be on Melbourne Victory because it's right there in their backyard.

"They're going after as many players as they can get."

Reid said Canberra would be on the look-out for three new international players.

American striker Stephanie Ochs won't be returning, Lori Lindsay has retired and goalkeeper Chantel Jones will be replaced by Williams.

Canberra will begin its pre-season in early September ahead of the expected start of the W-League in October.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/matildas-striker-michelle-heyman-in-sights-of-melbourne-city-after-signing-lisa-de-vanna-20150711-gia3lh.html

Matildas striker Michelle Heyman in sights of Melbourne City after signing Lisa De Vanna

July 11, 2015

Lee Gaskin

Matildas striker Michelle Heyman and goalkeeper Lydia Williams are in the sights of Melbourne City, but reigning W-League champions Canberra United won't be giving up their international duo without a fight.

Melbourne City signalled their intention to make a splash in their first season in the W-League by announcing the signing of Matildas captain Lisa De Vanna on Saturday.

Heyman and Williams are also on their radar after impressive performances for the Matildas at the Women's World Cup in Canada.

Canberra United are desperate to retain Heyman after she played an integral role in winning the championship last season, while Williams has made a successful return from a knee reconstruction.

Canberra United chief executive Heather Reid said Melbourne City had made approaches to several Matildas.

"They're in conversation with a whole range of national team players, including Lydia Williams and Michelle Heyman as far as I understand," Reid said.

"We'll be aiming to meet with them as soon as possible. 

"My priority next week is to write to all of last year's squad and basically ask them what their attentions are for coming back and then go from there in terms of finalising offers and knowing where the gaps might be."

Heyman is currently playing for Western New York Flash in the US National Women's Soccer League, but is expected to be available for the W-League.

Williams sat out the last W-League season recovering from a knee reconstruction, but had been an integral part of Canberra United since the club started in 2008.

City's addition to the women's competition has rivals on edge that they will have their best talent poached given their ties to English giants Manchester City.

"On one hand, I think it's great another club is coming into the league, however a club that has such great financial backing as Melbourne City has having from Manchester City, will skew the market," Reid said.

"It will impact on the capacity of other clubs to maintain their rosters and the biggest impact will be on Melbourne Victory because it's right there in their backyard.

"They're going after as many players as they can get."

Reid said Canberra would be on the look-out for three new international players.

American striker Stephanie Ochs won't be returning, Lori Lindsay has retired and goalkeeper Chantel Jones will be replaced by Williams.

Canberra will begin its pre-season in early September ahead of the expected start of the W-League in October.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/matildas-striker-michelle-heyman-in-sights-of-melbourne-city-after-signing-lisa-de-vanna-20150711-gia3lh.html

I am so torn about this news! I'm actually also a Canberra United supporter since we haven't had a wleague team, and I really like both Heyman and Williams! But losing them would be a big blow for Canberra.

Edited by Kinnibari
removed redundant section

• 1 month later...