Melbourne Football

Aziz Behich

Murfy1

As I mentioned in another thread, I think we are now the preferred nation when it's a choice between us and Scotland/Wales/Ireland. A player who can play for England is also now more likely to play for Aus rather than wait around for a chance at England, depending on skill level of course. We are a very attractive option since moving to Asia, almost guaranteed WC selection and Asian Cup contender.

Majority of players do choose based on which nation will be better for their career, whether it's the better nation or the first nation to want them, etc.

Balkanites are weird though, but not too many recent cases, can only think of Og who didn't want to play for Aus but only went with Aus after Macedonia wouldn't select him (they had like 3 bundesliga CBs at the time). This was despite him making his name in Asia so you would have thought playing for Aus would have made a lot of sense. Just depends on the individual, some are really nationalistic, others don't really care much.

Most of the time, first nation to select the player will win, unless they are eligible for a top nation (or if there is otherwise a large group between the teams in terms of quality), then they might wait. Even if both their nations are top nations, they still might hold out for the better one, as we're obviously talking about a world class player even if one top nation wants them, so they'd see winning the WC as a possibility and will look to choose the team with better odds, even if it's only slightly.

Thats actually not true.

Og actually came out and gave Verbeek a spray for not picking him at a time when he was voted Asian Footballer of the Year, captain of Asian Champions League winners, Man of The Match in the Final, and Asian Champions Leagues MVP.

Instead Verbeek was picking the likes of Cornthwaite, Heffernan, Kemp and Coyne, all A-Grade shit kickers.

Realising that he would never factor internationally under Verbeek, and with time not on his side, when he was called up Macedonia, he accepted.  As it was, FIFA didn't give him a clearance on time and he never played a single minute for Macedonia.

This was not Joe Simunic all over again.

Not too different to how I remember it, just that I'm sure there was a time he was all set (so I guess after clearance was received) to play for Macedonia, and wanted to play for them, but then never got the chance.

Maybe I just missed the part where he didn't get clearance and that's actually why he never played.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Played again I believe. It's not even interesting anymore.

Well if he continues it will be interesting to see if Ange does follow through with his 'I'm going to pick players who are playing well and not on reputation' if Valeri got a game just to be looked at after doing nothing for months then aziz should have a chance. Although Valeri probably got a game because he moved to the visitors Edited by Dylan

Agree with Kiro. I watched and listened attentively at the time. PIM was blind. the Og was ignored and it infuriated him.

Pandev, you played quite poorly this morning :P

Ahh, I've passed my prime and are now building my nest egg. I wish I had a better agent to negotiate a real EPL deal rather than make false claims.....the highlight of my career was winning the treble with the master Jose mourinho.

I'll claim the title as the most successful Macedonian footballer although Dark Pancev and Gheorghi Hagi will claim it also.

• Like 2

When did he give 100% last season? He was fucking terrible every game he played.

To me he always put effort in. He was fucking shit last year though and seemed too unfit to play the way he normally does. Pretty sure he loves the club so much he let Boyd from Wellington shaft him in that 1-0 defeat at home when Aloisi finally got the sack.

Aziz.  Kid from the 'burbs who wears his HEART on his sleeve.  You can never knock his effort that's for sure.

If he makes it as a footballer in Europe it will have little to do with talent and lot to do with application.  I'm surprised he got a socceroos call up so quickly, but Zullo being out for the season helped his cause I guess.  I can't seem him playing ahead of davo, but being in the squad should encourage him anyway.

• Like 4

Aziz.  Kid from the 'burbs who wears his HEART on his sleeve.  You can never knock his effort that's for sure.

If he makes it as a footballer in Europe it will have little to do with talent and lot to do with application.

I can vouch for this, bloke couldn't get a game for his High Scool team in Year 8-9 and now look where he is.

• Like 2

Davidson played midweek in the cup, unlikely he was ever going to back up on the weekend when they've got two similar options at left back, wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

Then there is the significant gap between EPL and Turkish Football...

that means shit all if aziz plays most games and davidsons plays very few

Davidson played midweek in the cup, unlikely he was ever going to back up on the weekend when they've got two similar options at left back, wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

Then there is the significant gap between EPL and Turkish Football...

that means shit all if aziz plays most games and davidsons plays very few

Agree, but I think Davidson is still going pretty well, gotten a fair bit of game time and it's still only early in the season.

Doesn't matter anyway, Aziz has a chance to be the 2nd choice LB for Aus. Whether he takes that chance and plays well for Aus is up to him.

Edited by Tesla

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From what I saw, no official acknowledgement of Behich playing for the Socceroos by Melbourne City on social media (at least not on twitter, not sure about Facebook), which to me was a shame. It was one of the founding principles of the club to produce future Socceroo players so it should be celebrated when it occurs. I know Mooy was mentioned.

• Like 2

Michael Lynch is reporting in The Age that Jason Davison is looking for a loan spell to get some game time. Given the quality of our current left back options, can MelbCity arrange a season long loan for Davidson - after all he is better than our current  options. Surely Germano can be put on the long term injury list and have Davidson replace him.