Melbourne Football

Aziz Behich

Murfy1

He will never be a solid Socceroo as ppl have often claimed on here...

Can't Cross, Can't Defend and Can't Shoot.

Can't speak for others, but I thought he deserved being looked at for the socceroos because we had fuck all left back options, and there was a time many would have considered him the best left back in the A-League. Things are different now, as in a short space of time there have been some new left back options emerge and it's not a problem position for the Socceroos anymore, while Behich has been out of form, so he is a long way away currently.

But who knows what can happen, I've seen stranger footballer career rises than if AB did emerge as an option for the socceroos again.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

Can't speak for others, but I thought he deserved being looked at for the socceroos because we had fuck all left back options, and there was a time many would have considered him the best left back in the A-League. Things are different now, as in a short space of time there have been some new left back options emerge and it's not a problem position for the Socceroos anymore, while Behich has been out of form, so he is a long way away currently.Gee, for best mates, you two don't really seem to see eye to eye on much.

Can't speak for others, but I thought he deserved being looked at for the socceroos because we had fuck all left back options, and there was a time many would have considered him the best left back in the A-League. Things are different now, as in a short space of time there have been some new left back options emerge and it's not a problem position for the Socceroos anymore, while Behich has been out of form, so he is a long way away currently.Gee, for best mates, you two don't really seem to see eye to eye on much. Yes Buddy - Because our disagreement about the ability of one Footballer is a Major Philosophical Dilemma. :droy:

Can't speak for others, but I thought he deserved being looked at for the socceroos because we had fuck all left back options, and there was a time many would have considered him the best left back in the A-League. Things are different now, as in a short space of time there have been some new left back options emerge and it's not a problem position for the Socceroos anymore, while Behich has been out of form, so he is a long way away currently. Gee, for best mates, you two don't really seem to see eye to eye on much. Yes Buddy - Because our disagreement about the ability of one Footballer is a Major Philosophical Dilemma. :droy:

Might wanna re-read through much of 'TTIM', 'TTDIM', 'Smartphone Discussion' just to name a few from the past couple days.

Can't speak for others, but I thought he deserved being looked at for the socceroos because we had fuck all left back options, and there was a time many would have considered him the best left back in the A-League. Things are different now, as in a short space of time there have been some new left back options emerge and it's not a problem position for the Socceroos anymore, while Behich has been out of form, so he is a long way away currently.

Gee, for best mates, you two don't really seem to see eye to eye on much.

A completely ridiculous statement to make (not too mention off topic as well), that says more about you than it does either of us. Cadete and I disagree on many things, but one thing we do agree about is that a person's values are more important than seeing eye to eye on everything.

• Like 1

Can't speak for others, but I thought he deserved being looked at for the socceroos because we had fuck all left back options, and there was a time many would have considered him the best left back in the A-League. Things are different now, as in a short space of time there have been some new left back options emerge and it's not a problem position for the Socceroos anymore, while Behich has been out of form, so he is a long way away currently.Gee, for best mates, you two don't really seem to see eye to eye on much.Yes Buddy - Because our disagreement about the ability of one Footballer is a Major Philosophical Dilemma. :droy:

Might wanna re-read through much of 'TTIM', 'TTDIM', 'Smartphone Discussion' just to name a few from the past couple days.I think Tesla pretty summed up well why your posts make no sense to the average bloke but what I am much more interested in is why these posts in the first place make any sense to yourself Buddy??? :hmm:

Edited by cadete

Says a lot when all we've got to discuss is someone who left the club at the end of last season.

And not even that, discussing people discussing someone who left the club Don't forget the startling fact that Telsa and I share differences when it comes to... Smartphones.

(I just did some re-reading and could not believe it myself).

Gee, for best mates, you two don't really seem to see eye to eye on much.

A completely ridiculous statement to make (not too mention off topic as well), that says more about you than it does either of us. Cadete and I disagree on many things, but one thing we do agree about is that a person's values are more important than seeing eye to eye on everything.

tumblr_kzrwsqeTd31qztriio1_500.png

So, yeah, Aziz Behich hey?

Great to see Aziz not only starting, but playing well too.

It was disappointing, to say the least, to see him leave for Turkey as a fringe socceroo  with his career on the rise, only to return a year later bereft of confidence and (even worse) into the clutches of Aloisi.  Now that he's broken through to the first team, I hope he can maintain this start and make that left back position his own.  

• Like 1

It was disappointing, to say the least, to see him leave for Turkey as a fringe socceroo with his career on the rise, only to return a year later bereft of confidence and (even worse) into the clutches of Aloisi. Now that he's broken through to the first team, I hope he can maintain this start and make that left back position his own.

He has great determination that's for sure and I hope he gets more starts and takes LB from Davidson. They both started similar in being forwards, yet both became LB (for different reasons), though I would rather Azis.

It was disappointing, to say the least, to see him leave for Turkey as a fringe socceroo with his career on the rise, only to return a year later bereft of confidence and (even worse) into the clutches of Aloisi. Now that he's broken through to the first team, I hope he can maintain this start and make that left back position his own.

Nothing wrong with Turkish football and for a team like Bursaspore, is pretty big.

If he gets more games, he is more than a chance

• Like 1

He is in a respectable club for his abilities.

AB will never drive a Lamborghini through soho in London to attend opening parties in company of couple of Victoria secret angels.

However in turkey he can still make good enough money to setup couple of kabab vans in campbellfield and roxburg park.

Handy player

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 1

I got the feeling that he didn't really want to be with us last season.

I have always been the biggest knocker of Aziz's ability on this forum but the one thing I would never question is his love for MHFC... in fact he basically was the textbook example for how all players should have felt about pulling on the Red and White Stripes. 

So if he didn't want to be around (Which is very possible considering how crap the JA years ) then I am sure that he had some very good reasons for feeling such a way. 

Edited by cadete
  • Like 6

Thought he was the most passionate player we had. Anybody that was felt deattached to the club wouldn't have shown as much emotion and reaction on the pitch to missed goals or other incidents like he did.

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Has Aziz ever played in competitive game for Australia like qualifiers (World Cup or Asian Cup)? i.e would he be eligible to still play for Turkey? (Even though it'd be unlikely)

came on as a sub in one of the qualifiers im pretty sure, could've been a friendly though not sure but he's definitely played for the socceroos

Thought he was the most passionate player we had. Anybody that was felt deattached to the club wouldn't have shown as much emotion and reaction on the pitch to missed goals or other incidents like he did.

I don't think you could ever question his commitment to the club and the team on the pitch. He tore himself to pieces for Melbourne Heart. If we'd seen as much commitment from the rest of the team we would have had better results than we have.

Has Aziz ever played in competitive game for Australia like qualifiers (World Cup or Asian Cup)? i.e would he be eligible to still play for Turkey? (Even though it'd be unlikely)

came on as a sub in one of the qualifiers im pretty sure, could've been a friendly though not sure but he's definitely played for the socceroosI know he's played friendlies but as long as it's not a competitive game, you can play for another country.

From Wikipedia ...

Behich was called up to the Australia Under-23 side by coach Aurelio Vidmar for a friendly match against Japan's Under-23 side at the Tohoku Denryoku Bigswan Stadium, Niigata on Wednesday 1 June 2011.[30] Behich was selected to play against Yemen's under-23 side for the Football at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Men's Asian Qualifiers Preliminary Round 2. On 14 June 2011, in preparation for the 2012 AFC Men's Pre-Olympic Tournament, Behich featured in a 6–0 win against Singapore under-23 where he scored Australia's sixth goal in the 90th minute. On 19 June 2011 Behich played in Australia's first-leg 3–0 win against Yemen.[31][32][33][34] Four days later he played in the second leg which resulted in a 4–0 win to Australia on 23 June.[35]

Behich was called up to the Australian national team by Holger Osieck for a friendly match against South Korea on 14 November 2012.[36]

came on as a sub in one of the qualifiers im pretty sure, could've been a friendly though not sure but he's definitely played for the socceroos

I know he's played friendlies but as long as it's not a competitive game, you can play for another country.

Not that simple.

Gotten quite complicated over the years I've followed football (making eligibility fairly independent of citizenship, allowing changing of nations in certain circumstances, etc.), don't fully understand it all myself.

First of all, there's no guarantee he is even eligible for Turkey, he isn't born there and hasn't lived there for 5+ years, so his only possible eligibility AFAIK is through parents & grandparents (dont think it goes beyond that) and I think it goes off of where they were born. The fact he is Turkish Cypriot rather than Turkish may complicate it, eg if his parents/grandparents are born in Cyprus then maybe he isn't eligible for Turkey, not sure.

As you allude to, if a player has played a youth game or friendly game for a nation, they can still change nation as long as they haven't played a competitive senior game for the nation. However, pretty sure they already had to be eligible for the other nation before they played a youth/friendly game for their current nation, but that would be fine in Aziz's case as his potential eligibility for Turkey would be is via parents/grandparents (and therefore he was eligable for both when he played for Aus). I believe changing nations can only be done once, so a player can't keep changing back and forth until they play a senior competitive game, but again it's fine in Aziz's case.

So the only question remains is whether the games he has played for Australia are senior competitive games. From what I remember, the games he played were the East Asian Cup qualifiers, which I believe came into question as to whether they are proper competitive games or not, since they were on non-FIFA dates and teams like Australia didn't play their best team. So it's actually quite complicated in this case, as it isn't a simple case of a friendly game vs a competitive game, a decision would have to be made by FIFA as to those games' status.

So, there could be a chance, would come down to whether he does/did qualify to be able to play for Turkey (likely) and whether those games he played for Australia were considered competitive games (can see it going either way). We've seen previously that Turkey don't fuck around when it comes to dual nationality players and will secure their eligibility even if they are unlikely to ever be selected for the Turkish NT purely on merit (I wish we were more aggressive in this regard), so if he impresses enough they might look at him, but I'd bank on our desperation at left back (even though it's not so bad any more) resulting in him playing a competitive game for us first. Or he could very well reject them, I doubt he would decide against Australia before the Asian Cup (as we've seen a few players choose Australia because of the upcoming Asian Cup) and going forward Australia looks like a better prospect for him in terms of getting games.

Anyway, the first step is for him to be performing well enough to be considered for either nation :up:

Always wondered how Australia isn't the more attractive team for players to play for in most cases when compared to say Scotland, Ireland, Turkey or many of the Balkan nations that many of our potential NT players could play for. It should be easier or on a par to be regularly selected for Aus than most of these teams. With our position in Asia you would essentially guarantee playing in a world cup in your career and a shot at winning a continental trophy. Something you definitely couldn't do with those countries.

I understand particularly the Balkan states are amongst the most nationalistic people around, a large part of my group of mates are born in Australia but consider themselves Croatian, Macedonian or Serbian over Australian , something ill never understand, despite having dutch parents. However, from a footballing sense id think it a no-brainer to go with Australia.

• Like 1

It would be beneficial to choose to play for a European country rather than Australia due to the travel required. Kewell & Viduka were constantly in a club v country battle while at Leeds. Often missing more games than their colleagues due to jet lag from travelling back to Australia.

Playing our friendlies in Europe during the season seems to be helping.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think we are now the preferred nation when it's a choice between us and Scotland/Wales/Ireland. A player who can play for England is also now more likely to play for Aus rather than wait around for a chance at England, depending on skill level of course. We are a very attractive option since moving to Asia, almost guaranteed WC selection and Asian Cup contender.

Majority of players do choose based on which nation will be better for their career, whether it's the better nation or the first nation to want them, etc.

Balkanites are weird though, but not too many recent cases, can only think of Og who didn't want to play for Aus but only went with Aus after Macedonia wouldn't select him (they had like 3 bundesliga CBs at the time). This was despite him making his name in Asia so you would have thought playing for Aus would have made a lot of sense. Just depends on the individual, some are really nationalistic, others don't really care much.

Most of the time, first nation to select the player will win, unless they are eligible for a top nation (or if there is otherwise a large group between the teams in terms of quality), then they might wait. Even if both their nations are top nations, they still might hold out for the better one, as we're obviously talking about a world class player even if one top nation wants them, so they'd see winning the WC as a possibility and will look to choose the team with better odds, even if it's only slightly.

Edited by Tesla

Discussion is a bit split between 2 threads.

I think maybe this thread is more appropriate for regular discussion about Aziz while we keep the Where Are They Know for more general and infrequent stuff.

Anyway, how'd he go? Tried to catch the end of the game but the streams I could find where taken down.

A lot of comments from Bursa fans praising Aziz and once again believing that he was man of the match.

Sounds like Bursa fans and Heart fans may share the common bond of loving to nominate Full Backs for Man of The Match. :up:

Ultraz Friendship anyone? :hmm:

sour-lemon.jpg

LOL - Why have you posted a picture of one the many items of fruit that (Alongside with Tap Water) you regularly steal from neighbors and complete strangers front yards? :droy:

Edited by cadete

As I mentioned in another thread, I think we are now the preferred nation when it's a choice between us and Scotland/Wales/Ireland. A player who can play for England is also now more likely to play for Aus rather than wait around for a chance at England, depending on skill level of course. We are a very attractive option since moving to Asia, almost guaranteed WC selection and Asian Cup contender.

Majority of players do choose based on which nation will be better for their career, whether it's the better nation or the first nation to want them, etc.

Balkanites are weird though, but not too many recent cases, can only think of Og who didn't want to play for Aus but only went with Aus after Macedonia wouldn't select him (they had like 3 bundesliga CBs at the time). This was despite him making his name in Asia so you would have thought playing for Aus would have made a lot of sense. Just depends on the individual, some are really nationalistic, others don't really care much.

Most of the time, first nation to select the player will win, unless they are eligible for a top nation (or if there is otherwise a large group between the teams in terms of quality), then they might wait. Even if both their nations are top nations, they still might hold out for the better one, as we're obviously talking about a world class player even if one top nation wants them, so they'd see winning the WC as a possibility and will look to choose the team with better odds, even if it's only slightly.

Thats actually not true.

Og actually came out and gave Verbeek a spray for not picking him at a time when he was voted Asian Footballer of the Year, captain of Asian Champions League winners, Man of The Match in the Final, and Asian Champions Leagues MVP.

Instead Verbeek was picking the likes of Cornthwaite, Heffernan, Kemp and Coyne, all A-Grade shit kickers.

Realising that he would never factor internationally under Verbeek, and with time not on his side, when he was called up Macedonia, he accepted.  As it was, FIFA didn't give him a clearance on time and he never played a single minute for Macedonia.

This was not Joe Simunic all over again.

• Like 1