Melbourne Football

Matchday 11: v Victory - Saturday 21st December 5 pm at AAMI Park

Harrison

Disgusting, changes have to be made. 
Passing first half was ridiculously slow and poor to teammates, either overhit, too slow or lofted when it needed to be pinged. 

Jamo and noone can both fuck off, jamo constantly beaten and in the wrong spot. 
noone actually had some moments against our youth reject and then missing again. 
windy must start because the other 2 together are accidents waiting to happen. 

It was obvious that we were going to lose this game after the first few minutes. Yet another game where we are favourites and have everything to play for and nobody tuns up.

Positives:

The scoreline would have been worse against a decent side

Too early for seagulls

Negatives:

What a terrible first half, no intensity, poor with and without the ball, no pressing

Humiliated in midfield by one of the worst midfield in the league

No Midfield = no service to JMac

2 home game loses in a row, it makes it harder to build crowds on those performances

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Jamo carries on like a testosterone fuelled 15 year old who's more concerned with kicking someone and getting under their skin and then  bragging to his mates than actually winning the contest. It's the small petty niggle he gets involved in every single fucking game that make my mind boggle that he's the club captain. If you're gonna get involved in that shit you have to back it up on the pitch, not be the worst player week in, week out. Blokes like Roy Keane and John Terry could get away with it, but Jamo just makes us a laughing stock.

For me the problem is Momabaerts. We have a small attacking side and the team lobs it high to them where the defenders can beat them in the air. The corners are short losing one player in the box. No creativity in our midfield and the team is reverting to Wazza style football. Luna and Cabrera had forgettable games as did quite a few others but no substitutes until the 68 minute mark.

I am trying to make sense of it all and perhaps Mombaerts wants the team to play a certain way and he figures he has two seasons to mould the side and that the players are not getting the message. Alternatively, he really does believe in what he is doing and won't change and that would explain why he couldn't take Yokohama further and why he is coaching in the A-League.

Yes the players need to take some responsibility but to me the game is not working all the time and he has made the choice not to make changes.

The corner routine is wierd, it seems to work as we have scored 3 I think from corners now. I don't think we scored 3 in the last 3 years. But God its frustrating at times, today we had just scored and 2 minutes after got another corner on the same side, and we went right back to Galloway. Every time we should be swinging it in towards Delbridge and Good, we almost try to get too smart for our own good with it

Everything's already been said I think.The club's DNA was in evidence once again, with a dreadful performance against a Victory side that was far more efficient with its use of the ball and, dare I say it, fully deserved to win.

I thought that only two players could come out of the match with any credit whatsoever, Delbridge and Glover, but I'll point the finger firmly at Mombaerts and ask WTF does he think he's up to playing a long ball game to what must be the most diminutive forward line in the League? And WTF is he doing delaying substitutions until just 20 minutes to go?

Very disappointing match in front of the smallest Derby crowd ever.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Embee said:

JMac needs to shoulder some blame for his performance today, it was more than just the midfield's service.

His touch was real off and it seemed like the rare times he did get on the ball he lost it immediately.

His touch and field play are always average but he makes up for it with goals. If that doesn’t happen, than what you say becomes a highlight. The average field play was always the underlying argument on the marquee status.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Embee said:

JMac needs to shoulder some blame for his performance today, it was more than just the midfield's service.

His touch was real off and it seemed like the rare times he did get on the ball he lost it immediately.

Agree. I thought that he was slow to react to where the ball was going. Unusual for him.

To me most of the players looked as though they were in panic mode the whole time they were on the field. We were horribly inefficient with our use of the ball, and with our players' energy, and desperately needed a midfield general to orchestrate what the team was trying to do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, citypool said:

We have to finish top two this year and get an acl spot it’s the only way this club will move forward 

That may be an objective that the club has, but we're not going to achieve it unless we make far better use of our 5 visa player places. We've already lost several key matches so far this season.

Overall I think we had 3 players who got a pass mark yesterday 

Delbridge who was huge especially in second half, Glover who made some good stops, Cabrera who I thought was the only attacker who worked to try and create something. His game wasn't brilliant but being a winger in a team that didn't move the ball forward is tough, he at least tried to get his head up and do something 

That's never going to be enough to win a game

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, neio said:

Overall I think we had 3 players who got a pass mark yesterday 

Delbridge who was huge especially in second half, Glover who made some good stops, Cabrera who I thought was the only attacker who worked to try and create something. His game wasn't brilliant but being a winger in a team that didn't move the ball forward is tough, he at least tried to get his head up and do something 

That's never going to be enough to win a game

Really hard for me to accept Delbridge getting a pass mark when his first half was so shaky and where we conceded the 2 goals we lost by. Not that he was completely responsible but he was a contributor for sure. 

Glover whilst having some moments in the second half didn't result in a goal thankfully so he gets a pass but only just. 

• Like 1

Okay just finished the replay and tbf we can consider ourselves lucky we didn't cop 5. 

Nabbout should have scored 2 and if lucky had 3.

This has now confirmed my natural pessimistic relationship with this club/team and we are basically  mentally weak. This is the 3rd time with this group and coach that we have went to water. Hindsight is a dangerous thing when analyzing games but seriously we started with so many suspect blokes that so far haven't delivered when it was tough. In particular the Uruguayans and Noone. Playing all 3 was risky, not changing it halftime when it was obvious,  was risky and sorry but these 3 blokes did not do enough and contributed to our shit performance. 

Now I'm not saying they are shit and should be axed blah blah but If you look at the line-ups in the Perth 3:0 loss and the 0:4 Cup final they are all very similar.  

I'm worried Warmfarts is one dimensional and unwilling to change things, I was glad he changed the keepers which shows maybe he is open to change, but so far in these three bad losses he hasn't reacted and basically continued with a strategy that to me looked destined to fail. Okay I can accept we go down with a late change in momentum and cop a few goals, but all 3 games we didnt look remotely like winning and the coach and especially the players dont look capable of finding solutions. 

Of the three horrible losses this feels the more significant not because of the opponent but because it now reinforces a trend of a fundamental flaw. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 2

Summary of our loss is that we got killed on our  left side again and is something that every team has exploited in our losses this season,

We have no CM playmaker that can open up play in the attacking transition and get the ball to our attacker's feet, Florin not being played is just a joke.

We play with a high ball to small forwards which just doesnt make sense.

Jamo, Mombaets, and Petrillo out

Drain the swamp

25 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Okay just finished the replay and tbf we can consider ourselves lucky we didn't cop 5. 

This has now confirmed my natural pessimistic relationship with this club/team and we are basically  mentally weak. This is the 3rd time with this group and coach that we have went to water. Hindsight is a dangerous thing when analyzing games but seriously we started with so many suspect blokes that so far haven't delivered when it was tough. In particular the Uruguayans and Noone. Playing all 3 was risky, not changing it halftime when it was obvious,  was risky and sorry but these 3 blokes did not do enough and contributed to our shit performance. 

Now I'm not saying they are shit and should be axed blah blah but If you look at the line-ups in the Perth 3:0 loss and the 0:4 Cup final they are all very similar.  

I'm worried Warmfarts is one dimensional and unwilling to change things, I was glad he changed the keepers which shows maybe he is open to change, but so far in these three bad losses he hasn't reacted and basically continued with a strategy that to me looked destined to fail. Okay I can accept we go down with a late change in momentum and cop a few goals, but all 3 games we didnt look remotely like winning and the coach and especially the players dont look capable of finding solutions. 

Of the three horrible losses this feels the more significant not because of the opponent but because it now reinforces a trend of a fundamental flaw. 

I watched on Kayo and they interviewed the coach at half time, he said it wasn't the tactics but the mentality which was spot on in every reguard.

Good was having a mare that didn't help things, he should have been subbed at half time with anybody.There were some problems with personell, but it's the mental side of the game we have the biggest deficiency.

5 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Summary of our loss is that we got killed on our  left side again and is something that every team has exploited in our losses this season,

We have no CM playmaker that can open up play in the attacking transition and get the ball to our attacker's feet, Florin not being played is just a joke.

We play with a high ball to small forwards which just doesnt make sense.

Jamo, Mombaets, and Petrillo out

Drain the swamp

Agree except for Mombaert, should be given a second season at least, maybe three because he is still having to make do with Wazza's poor signings for that time.

• Like 1

That was a pretty annoying day at the football. 

I’m a patient person but if these foreign players don’t start winning us matches of football then we should ship them off in January. We can’t keep persisting with mediocrity and expect to get anywhere. We’ve got a tactically intelligent manager who has tried to implement a style of play that will deliver us trophies, and at this point it seems he doesn’t have the bloody cattle. 

Seems our players revert to long diagonal balls when they can’t be bothered to play through the opposition. So many get chopped out it’s become amusing to my mate and me. I counted roughly 10. The press just wasn’t effective either, they easily controlled the midfield in the first half and they were hungrier for the second balls too, so that tells me we just weren’t mentally switched on. 

And why didn’t Mombaerts use his third sub? I just don’t understand that. We’re down 2-1, the first two subs have created a few chances, bring on a third and see what he can do. We’ve got nothing to lose. It’s just bizarre. 

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

So many players having an off game with basic errors. No point going over each and every one of them but the scum had the better of fortune tonight. Both their goals came off rebound balls and poor defensive positions from our players. Just didn't happen tonight. 

See, I don’t think we can call these “off days” anymore. We systematically aren’t performing against the better opposition.  To me it seems we just aren’t good enough on all levels from coaching to the players.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Well said and spot on.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Mentally weak across 2 coaches, common denominator.... our captain

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

That was a pretty annoying day at the football. 

I’m a patient person but if these foreign players don’t start winning us matches of football then we should ship them off in January. We can’t keep persisting with mediocrity and expect to get anywhere. We’ve got a tactically intelligent manager who has tried to implement a style of play that will deliver us trophies, and at this point it seems he doesn’t have the bloody cattle. 

Seems our players revert to long diagonal balls when they can’t be bothered to play through the opposition. So many get chopped out it’s become amusing to my mate and me. I counted roughly 10. The press just wasn’t effective either, they easily controlled the midfield in the first half and they were hungrier for the second balls too, so that tells me we just weren’t mentally switched on. 

And why didn’t Mombaerts use his third sub? I just don’t understand that. We’re down 2-1, the first two subs have created a few chances, bring on a third and see what he can do. We’ve got nothing to lose. It’s just bizarre. 

We can't just "ship them off in January." Except for Berenguer, who is outside the cap, unless the others are prepared to accept a mutual termination, they are inside the cap and any termination monies paid will could towards the cap. And who will we replace them with? More young players on the minimum A-League salary.

As fans, we either have to get used to the way the club is run or give it away. The fundamental difference between us and sides such as Perth and Victory is that they are football clubs whereas we are a branch of a global business that is used to sportswash the regime in the UAE. Newcastle are suffering the same way as part of the Ledman empire.

• Like 1

Just now, jw1739 said:

We can't just "ship them off in January." Except for Berenguer, who is outside the cap, unless the others are prepared to accept a mutual termination, they are inside the cap and any termination monies paid will could towards the cap. And who will we replace them with? More young players on the minimum A-League salary.

As fans, we either have to get used to the way the club is run or give it away. The fundamental difference between us and sides such as Perth and Victory is that they are football clubs whereas we are a branch of a global business that is used to sportswash the regime in the UAE. Newcastle are suffering the same way as part of the Ledman empire.

Sell them for a nominal transfer fee of $1. Plenty of foreign free agents who’d be willing to play a few months of football. 

I know we won’t. My point is I’m losing patience in the foreigners and moreover I’m losing all faith in Petrillo and his/our scouts’ ability to identify talent that will adapt to our game and produce consistently good football. How many good foreign players have we found over the years that have stuck around? Only one, and we got rid of him. Looking at his performance yesterday, we look like absolute morons. 

Agree with the sportswashing comment too. 

17 hours ago, haz said:

So Genreau = win

Except for the Brisbane game where it was Genreau's fault we lost. And the team won how many FFA Cup and A league games without him? People on this Forum have very short memories.

Last week everyone on this forum raved on about how amazing the team played. Seriously, The Jets were rubbish, it was more like a training session for City. There was that much space in the midfield Qantas could've landed their passenger jets. The Jets have since been beaten by Perth 6 - 2. So they were not great. 

Last night Luna hid away as he always does against tougher teams. He and Cabrera played great last week because they had time and space. I'm yet to be convinced about Cabrera. He played well in one game. Broxham made things difficult for Luna and he didn't seem to have any answers. Last night  Victards out muscled City, simple. The Victory man marking made it difficult to play our fast one touch high press style. Our individual passing needs to be much more accurate so that we can play our way.

There were too many errant passes. Brillante, Good, Noone & Jamo had a shocker. They simply played bad. No excuses. The midfield wasn't productive bacause Brillante has never really played as a defensive playmaker. He's always played a defensive midfield role along side a second 6. So he only looks good when he's not pressed. Kamsoba was a nuisance for him and he had no answers.

The tactic where Jamo drops into the midfield has to stop. He doesn't have the passing quality and variety to be effective. Our long ball switch plays from the defensive mid postion should not be played by our left back. Rarely does he make his mark, usually just gives the ball away to the opposition. So we don't achieve an overload in the attacking front third, we end up with a player out of position in the defensive third. If we can't hit our target with switch play, then it's just giving the ball away. If Mombaerts won't stop using this tactic, it should be Galloway dropping in because he's better on the ball than Jamo.

It now appears that our system of play struggles against a defensive counter attacking style. Think Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane and now Victory. It's taken less than one round for opposition teams to work us out.

Curtis just made some unusally poor decisions and passes. Noone is too hot and cold. Sometimes involved sometimes not. Doesnt communicate well with the other players. Needs to get his head up more. 

For those that get on here week in week out to slag Metcalfe, I rewatched the game this morning and the kid played great. In the first 10 minutes, he had created 2 chances and had a shot on goal. I would like someone to post on here the exact minutes where he apparently "kept losing the ball." I definitely only recall one poor turn over. I'll wait. He had Basha stuck to him like glue, Metcalfe did bloody well to deal with a player like Basha who has played over 400 professional games. He was using every grubby tactic in the book to disrupt him. Metcalfe opened up the attack with a number of high quality balls down the left side and into the box, where was Maclaren? Macca was man marked heavily yes, and he's usually good at losing his man, but last night where was he?

Delbridge was outstanding easily man of the match. This is the type of dedicated effort we need from every single player every week.

I think a natural left sided player like Najjarine should have replaced Noone as a sub. Wales is not strong enough on that left side.

The refereeing was abysmal. Victory played their usual grubby style and the ref let them get away with it. 

The match was entertaining, City fought hard in the second half. They need to bring that mongrel, passion and desire into their full game not just the final minutes. As disappointing as this loss was I will continue to support my team. Some of you here should consider doing the same. We are still in a healthy position on the table and we can come back. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Tomi said:

Except for the Brisbane game where it was Genreau's fault we lost. And the team won how many FFA Cup and A league games without him? People on this Forum have very short memories.

Last week everyone on this forum raved on about how amazing the team played. Seriously, The Jets were rubbish, it was more like a training session for City. There was that much space in the midfield Qantas could've landed their passenger jets. The Jets have since been beaten by Perth 6 - 2. So they were not great. 

Last night Luna hid away as he always does against tougher teams. He and Cabrera played great last week because they had time and space. I'm yet to be convinced about Cabrera. He played well in one game. Broxham made things difficult for Luna and he didn't seem to have any answers. Last night  Victards out muscled City, simple. The Victory man marking made it difficult to play our fast one touch high press style. Our individual passing needs to be much more accurate so that we can play our way.

There were too many errant passes. Brillante, Good, Noone & Jamo had a shocker. They simply played bad. No excuses. The midfield wasn't productive bacause Brillante has never really played as a defensive playmaker. He's always played a defensive midfield role along side a second 6. So he only looks good when he's not pressed. Kamsoba was a nuisance for him and he had no answers.

The tactic where Jamo drops into the midfield has to stop. He doesn't have the passing quality and variety to be effective. Our long ball switch plays from the defensive mid postion should not be played by our left back. Rarely does he make his mark, usually just gives the ball away to the opposition. So we don't achieve an overload in the attacking front third, we end up with a player out of position in the defensive third. If we can't hit our target with switch play, then it's just giving the ball away. If Mombaerts won't stop using this tactic, it should be Galloway dropping in because he's better on the ball than Jamo.

It now appears that our system of play struggles against a defensive counter attacking style. Think Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane and now Victory. It's taken less than one round for opposition teams to work us out.

Curtis just made some unusally poor decisions and passes. Noone is too hot and cold. Sometimes involved sometimes not. Doesnt communicate well with the other players. Needs to get his head up more. 

For those that get on here week in week out to slag Metcalfe, I rewatched the game this morning and the kid played great. In the first 10 minutes, he had created 2 chances and had a shot on goal. I would like someone to post on here the exact minutes where he apparently "kept losing the ball." I definitely only recall one poor turn over. I'll wait. He had Basha stuck to him like glue, Metcalfe did bloody well to deal with a player like Basha who has played over 400 professional games. He was using every grubby tactic in the book to disrupt him. Metcalfe opened up the attack with a number of high quality balls down the left side and into the box, where was Maclaren? Macca was man marked heavily yes, and he's usually good at losing his man, but last night where was he?

Delbridge was outstanding easily man of the match. This is the type of dedicated effort we need from every single player every week.

I think a natural left sided player like Najjarine should have replaced Noone as a sub. Wales is not strong enough on that left side.

The refereeing was abysmal. Victory played their usual grubby style and the ref let them get away with it. 

The match was entertaining, City fought hard in the second half. They need to bring that mongrel, passion and desire into their full game not just the final minutes. As disappointing as this loss was I will continue to support my team. Some of you here should consider doing the same. We are still in a healthy position on the table and we can come back. 

I don't think anyone has posted (yet) the usual "I'm done with thr team post" but many have posted concerns about individual players and also tactics. I agree with you regarding Metcalfe, but with hindsight maybe Griffiths instead of Metcalfe may have been better. 

I really wanted to see a change at 45 and maybe Najjarine could have worked. The inclusion of Wales was positive and he gave us something. 

At the end of the day we were shit and the result was a true reflection.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I don't think anyone has posted (yet) the usual "I'm done with thr team post" but many have posted concerns about individual players and also tactics. I agree with you regarding Metcalfe, but with hindsight maybe Griffiths instead of Metcalfe may have been better. 

I really wanted to see a change at 45 and maybe Najjarine could have worked. The inclusion of Wales was positive and he gave us something. 

At the end of the day we were shit and the result was a true reflection.

My mate and I wanted to see Najjarine too. The kid has a lot of quality, he just needs opportunities. The knock on him is his defensive work but we’re a goal down anyway, so there’s nothing to lose. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO all the "I'm done" mob have already left. What remains is the "dirty dozen" of those who are bolted-on, and can never leave. 

Really bad crowd, one of the lowest attended derbies. Roughly 17k. Worrying times for the league. I think the attendances as a whole are significantly down again this year. The standard has never been better IMO but people aren’t turning up. 

2 hours ago, Tomi said:

As disappointing as this loss was I will continue to support my team. Some of you here should consider doing the same. We are still in a healthy position on the table and we can come back. 

I think everybody is still backing Melbourne City, you don’t have to worry about that!

We need to remain positive but realistically I always find it a bit naive, talking about coming back and bouncing back etc. We aren’t a top side who just slipped the occasional game, we are a top 6 side who occasionally peaks.

We clearly don’t have what it takes, we’ve poorly recruited foreigners and are inept to adjust tactics. 

Sure we will snatch a win here or there against top opposition but that seems an exception rather than rule.

Top 4 to 6 finish for us unless we invest in the transfer window. Regardless we will have a good crack at the finals and might surprise there.

55 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Really bad crowd, one of the lowest attended derbies. Roughly 17k. Worrying times for the league. I think the attendances as a whole are significantly down again this year. The standard has never been better IMO but people aren’t turning up. 

Seems like the active bays are back (full bay with pyro for us, two bays of Vic fans making good noise) but it seems like the family sections are emptier and emptier every week

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

17,083, lowest ever home Derby crowd.

Personally not surprised. Two teams with not a single player between them who could be said to be exciting enough to drag people to the match, plus a KO time clashing with the last Saturday afternoon for shopping before Christmas.

Fucking terrible atmosphere. City has been blandified to such an extent that the two sets of fans were largely indistinguishable. It just brought home to me how awful City merchandise really is with some of it having dark blue as the main colour. And thanks for the embarrassingly dark blue smoke City, seemingly random bursts of flame from somewhere, and WTF was the singer and what relevance to Melbourne/football/either of the clubs did his material have? Apart from the occasional flash of red from the handful of Heart fans still left it was hard to tell who was who.

Edited by jw1739

10 hours ago, Tomi said:

Correct. The Jets defence was like Swiss cheese in that we were able to penetrate it and convert. Against Perth and MV we faced more determined defending that aimed to nullify our attack. Which it did successfully.

Don't even know where to start with that performance but so much has already been said that i'll try and keep it brief

Our defence has just become a laughing stock this year, with only Newcastle being the only team which has conceded more goals than us.

At least we have been able to show flashes of our potential when going forward, but out CB pairing has been dysfunctional again all year, constantly making schoolboy errors which are costing us some of the softest goals I have ever seen. Case in point was the second goal we gifted the tards, just unbelievable bad defending by Good who had a mare the entire game. And while i think Galloway has had an OK season up to date, don't even start me on Scott 'turnstile' Jamosin. Can't stop anyone and just constantly gets caught out of position every game. Whether it's bad coaching or Jamo has just lost it, something needs to change.

Need to start Windy next game as our lack of experience is killing down back and jamo just get him the fuck away from the team.

Also, if I see one more alternative dead ball play from a dangerous position that ends up with us kicking the ball all the way back to the fucking goal keeper i'm going to scream.

We will again be making up the numbers unless we fix up the back 4

• Like 2