Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

He also nearly won us the game with the shot that hit the bar, what about millers chance?

I agree you would all be ass rapeing him if that shot went in. But in saying that the one on one was hard to swallow.

The trouble with Williams is the more time he has to think the worse he is.

Against Brisbane he had a split second and scored. Today he had a few seconds and woefully shot over.

The dumb thing is when their goalkeeper jumped up he should have just slid it underneath him....but you have to be able to think to do that

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

Well I'll go in to bat for him.

Thought his pressing and work rate was absolutely outstanding, and we didn't look as threatening in the box after he went off. Our performance dropped when he was subbed for Marino.

His miss was frustrating, but he wasnt the only culprit of that.

• Like 1

He's not good enough, first and foremost from past comments he just doesn't have a winners mentality. He has the mentality of a mediocre aleague player and that's what he is. As a forward he should take the most responsibility on his shoulders for the ball ending up in the back of the net. He may not be the only culprit but he is our biggest culprit.

Unfortunately he far too often sprays his shots if he has more than 1/1000th of a second to think about it. For a starting striker at this level that is completely unacceptable, particularly in a one on one with the keeper - even if it gets saved it should at very least be on target from the range he was at yesterday. Once in a while you can understand (being human and all), but this seems to be a semi-regular occurrence with Willo and - as we saw yesterday - we cannot afford to miss what should be a relatively easy shot for a high-level centre forward.

Once Kennedy gets here (provided he stays fit...) I reckon he might be in line for a lot more late-match appearances off the bench

Universe-Sandbox---20090303-012728---811

Current location of Williams shot from yesterday

Owe you a like good sir

Don't know why people are surprised, he's being doing this shit ever since he first arrived at the club. I've been the only one calling him out on it, so no surprise yesterday when he skied that chance. As soon as he got one on one with the keeper all i was thinking to myself was "how much will he miss this one by?"

Same goes for all of the Dugandzic haters out there.

Dugandzic is twice the player this hack will ever be. Ever since he has gone back on the wing he's played really well in the last two weeks. I honestly think he could play overseas compared to supa dave, who's ceiling will forever be coming off the bench at the end of games for 20-30 minutes.

Well I'll go in to bat for him.

Thought his pressing and work rate was absolutely outstanding, and we didn't look as threatening in the box after he went off. Our performance dropped when he was subbed for Marino.

His miss was frustrating, but he wasnt the only culprit of that.

Good on you, out of likes here.  He's far from perfect but he's not as hopeless as vic tards and king of hearts make out every second post.

He did work hard and contributed a lot to the side, but on 2 occasions he didn't deliver the striker "fundamentals":

• 1 vs 1 (say no more, we all saw it)
  • a goal poaching opportunity.  

The less observant/more drunk fans might have missed the 2nd one.  In the first half someone had a shot and Reddy being Reddy he didn't take it that well, the ball came out and he had to re-grab it.  Although this had happened earlier, the first time the ball never left Reddy's hand and although Willo was there he had no opportunity.  The 2nd time it hit the ground and Willo was just way too far away.  This both disappointed and surprised me, as I see goals like this as Willo's strength and suggests that despite scoring last week he's not really "in a scoring zone".

We all know the drill with this guy- one day he's a superstar the next day he's a hack.  I guess opinions are divided but I think when he's "on" he brings enough to justify having him in your side.

• Like 2

A striker can play the shittest game of his life but if he's banging in the goals he's doing his job. It's a good thing he does work hard but in the end I'd rather a player that will play like shit 98% of the time but hit the back of the net every game than a player that tries hard but struggles for consistency.

What defines Williams is not the goals he scores, but rather the opportunities where he should be scoring (or at least get on target) he misses, sometimes quite dreadfully.

The problem is he is not a reliable goal scorer. 

He can pop up with a goal every now and then, but when the pressure is on, when the game is there for the taking, when you need a goal to change the complexion of a game, he is not one to rely on.

When he does score it’s more of an exception rather than an expectation. No team can afford to have a striker like this, particularly one that creates significantly more opportunities than their opposition like yesterday.

The club knows this, hence the move for Kennedy.

• Like 1

What defines Williams is not the goals he scores, but rather the opportunities where he should be scoring (or at least get on target) he misses, sometimes quite dreadfully.

The problem is he is not a reliable goal scorer. 

He can pop up with a goal every now and then, but when the pressure is on, when the game is there for the taking, when you need a goal to change the complexion of a game, he is not one to rely on.

When he does score it’s more of an exception rather than an expectation. No team can afford to have a striker like this, particularly one that creates significantly more opportunities than their opposition like yesterday.

The club knows this, hence the move for Kennedy.

Williams is certainly a reliable game changer, unfortunately the result doesn't change into a win.

• Like 1

He's the perfect bench player, lets just hope Jesus can start most games

fingers and toes crossed

Willo is a worthy inclusion in the squad but not as our reliant source for goals, he just isn't bankable enough to convert his chances, runner up for golden boot last season or not. He seems perfect as an impact player though with his speed when the game is getting old and we have failed with our possession game and inevitably revert to the counter attack.

• Like 1

Ok

Been a steady supporter of willo but after butchering a couple of chances he has to be dropped to the bench next week

How come everyone on here thinks this and JVS doesn't?

I guess the issue is, who else do you play up front? And David Williams did score 12 goals last season.

I guess there is Dugandzic, Brown and Marino. JVS tested Brown up front in pre-season, and Dugandzic as well, and played Dugandzic more up front during the first few games of the season, when Williams wasn't fully fit. 

And most thought it better to not play Dugandzic and Brown up front after their performances, and sure enough since Williams has been fit he's been the default option in the striker position.

Marino is the only other option, an 18 year old the club just signed several weeks ago. And whilst he did get a tidy goal against Brisbane, he didn't look lethal up front against Central Coast at home for the final 30 minutes. Moreover, it is a lot to expect of a young player like Marino, to start and lead the line in his first season in the A-League.

What a big difference it would have made to get Josh Kennedy or another marquee striker to join the club before round 1. Or if David Villa had stayed at the club beyond 4 games, instead of going back to NYC just to display the NYCFC jersey.

As for now, the only options up front are Williams, Dugandzic, Brown and Marino. 

But perhaps it is almost time to shake things up and start Marino over Williams, despite the above...

Play Marino over this cunt. I don't care if he's 18, 19, 22 or 12. The kid will grow, let him play under pressure for the majority of the match and THEN play Williams (we all know he's only great when the defender's leg's are fucked). 

I'd rather us develop Marino (a player who has shown to have great positioning and eye for goal) as opposed to grasp onto the last few bits of a lackluster Heart (aka Williams). 

Edited by strider
  • Like 2

Play Marino over this cunt. I don't care if he's 18, 19, 22 or 12. The kid will grow, let him play under pressure for the majority of the match and THEN play Williams (we all know he's only great when the defender's leg's are fucked).

I'd rather us develop Marino (a player who has shown to have great positioning and eye for goal) as opposed to grasp onto the last few bits of a lackluster Heart (aka Williams).

On reflection I wouldn't bench Williams for the next game, because he did so well last time in Wellington against Wellington, scoring a hattrick. 

But if Williams doesn't get on the scoresheet and put in a good shift this Sunday, then I believe it's time to give Marino a go and make Williams an impact player off the bench, a role that's previously suited him well.

On reflection I wouldn't bench Williams for the next game, because he did so well last time in Wellington against Wellington, scoring a hattrick. 

But if Williams doesn't get on the scoresheet and put in a good shift this Sunday, then I believe it's time to give Marino a go and make Williams an impact player off the bench, a role that's previously suited him well.

Looked again at the highlights of the Sydney match. Both Williams and Marino missed good chances. Williams particularly - should be able to put those away if you're a striker.

• Like 3

Looked again at the highlights of the Sydney match. Both Williams and Marino missed good chances. Williams particularly - should be able to put those away if you're a striker.

I seem to recall that being said before, i just can't recollect when :P :P

In terms of bang for your buck, Williams is possibly the worst value for money in the squad. He's one of our highest paid players, yet delivers on rare occasions. Needs to be pissed off at seasons end to free up cap space for someone that will produce week in, week out.

Unlikely to happen as he has just re-signed a new contract at the end of last season. IIRC it was for two years.

In terms of bang for your buck, Williams is possibly the worst value for money in the squad. He's one of our highest paid players, yet delivers on rare occasions. Needs to be pissed off at seasons end to free up cap space for someone that will produce week in, week out.

Unlikely to happen as he has just re-signed a new contract at the end of last season. IIRC it was for two years.

And on less money than before I believe