Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

If it takes 10 years for our players to develop touch and technique, then they're teaching the kids wrong or picking the wrong kids!

Choose kids who are light footed and agile.

Get a skills coach form the Balkans, because as nutso as they can be, when apart from Kresinger did you see a Croat, or Serb even the Maco's with poor touch and technique?

Its actually not that hard to improve: just as the incoming ball hits the foot, move that foot in the same directions as the ball is travelling ie towards you, about 30 cm. This cushions the impact and draws the ball in close to the body. I guarantee the ball will stick to you boot.

Much of the time I see players trapping a pass with the foot moving in the opposite direction ie towards the ball. Simply physics tells you the ball will bounce off in front. What I don't get is the keep doing it and expect a different outcome.

Top post this. If as a junior you haven't been kicking a ball against a brick wall for hours on end trapping it dead as it flew back to you at different angles then forget it. You'll end up like Willo and many other players in the HAL.To be a top player you literally have had to have had the ball at you feet as a youngster and learnt how to control it perfectly. From personal experience, the Balkan approach to the game is like this - individual player skills, almost arrogance with the ball is admired. I think the Japanese are heading in this direction but probably because of the influence of Brazilian players. Edited by HEARTinator

• 2 weeks later...

why did people vote for this spastic, take away the penalties and the wellington fluke and all you're left with is a few tap ins and 30+ missed chances that have left us bottom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fFEiSmA5r8

What a goal.  Not sure how you can forget it so easily, I'll remember it for years- particularly given the events of that game and when it occurred.

In regard to so called "tap ins"? You know they are also worth "1 goal", same as that fabulous goal vs Sydney or Engelaar's wonder strike?

Good strikers make a career out of tap ins.  Poor strikers are never there to a put a boot on the ball.

I don't begrudge the bloke who scored that fabulous goal above (against the hated sky blue too!) player of the year, BUT I did vote for Mass Murdocca, who for all his weaknesses, gave 100% every single game and was a solid performer from season start to finish.  I didn't consider OE or HK because they simply didn't play enough. 

• Like 1

why did people vote for this spastic, take away the penalties and the wellington fluke and all you're left with is a few tap ins and 30+ missed chances that have left us bottom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fFEiSmA5r8

What a goal. Not sure how you can forget it so easily, I'll remember it for years- particularly given the events of that game and when it occurred.

In regard to so called "tap ins"? You know they are also worth "1 goal", same as that fabulous goal vs Sydney or Engelaar's wonder strike?

Good strikers make a career out of tap ins. Poor strikers are never there to a put a boot on the ball.

I don't begrudge the bloke who scored that fabulous goal above (against the hated sky blue too!) player of the year, BUT I did vote for Mass Murdocca, who for all his weaknesses, gave 100% every single game and was a solid performer from season start to finish. I didn't consider OE or HK because they simply didn't play enough.

For me the best heart goal ever in terms of emotion, the timing of the goal, our backs being to the wall the whole game and basically our shit start to the season.

Edited by n i k o

I think they did it off that online poll on the Heart Website, I voted for Murdocca and I seem to remember Williams leading it by like 15% (much to my surprise).

Yes, they did. And of course anyone can vote in those on-line polls. You don't have to be a Heart season-ticket holder or even a Heart supporter to vote.

I'm looking forward to the day when these things are decided by a poll where people have to log in to a "Members' Only" section of the club web-site.

• Like 1

Goals are the easiest metric for non informed supporters to measure a players success. 

My thoughts too. Your average supporter is not going to vote for a midfielder who 'works hard'.

this is obviously the case, but goal scorers will always be favoured  ie. Maldini didnt win a fucking Ballon D'Or   :droy:

Good strikers make a career out of tap ins.  Poor strikers are never there to a put a boot on the ball.

Inzaghi etc...

• 5 weeks later...

Nobody's saying he's a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but he's certainly not as shit as some of you guys are making him out to be. 

I agree that he could have had 20+, I agree his finishing leaves a lot to be desired and I agree that his best role for this season will hopefully be as a super sub and cover for our number 1 striker, but since when does finishing runner up in the golden boot make you a spud? 

I don't get it.

Postecoglou has said that Williams was the best player he coached in the aust youth teams. Has yet to fulfil his potential and his touch at times drives me mad. Needs to work on his first touch and composure in front of goals and then maybe Ange might consider him in future socceroo squads.

He kills it with his pace in fifa 14!

if he was any good he would have had 20+ with all the chances he had.... Spud.

That is my point 

Mifsud is a spud.

Hear hear!

Mifsud is even less useful than a spud. At least if you kicked a ball into a spud it my deflect into the goal (if you placed said spud onside) 

Mifsud is as useful as Malaria

I will admit that Williams' pace is handy in the dying moments of a game. And if we had a better striker last season williams wouldn't have been anywhere near scoring 12 

Aside from pace and the ability to score half the tap ins he is presented with, what else does he offer? 

can't cross, can't hold up the ball. His passing is average at best and don't get me started on his free kicks. 

He is ramsey mkII with the ability to pretend to play as a striker

I will admit that Williams' pace is handy in the dying moments of a game. And if we had a better striker last season williams wouldn't have been anywhere near scoring 12 

Aside from pace and the ability to score half the tap ins he is presented with, what else does he offer? 

can't cross, can't hold up the ball. His passing is average at best and don't get me started on his free kicks. 

He is ramsey mkII with the ability to pretend to play as a striker

Except Williams doesn't run like the Terminator.

• 1 month later...

"Bring it on" - Williams welcomes Villa competition

By Iain Strachan

08/07/2014

The most reliable goal-scorer in red and white last season will by vying for selection alongside a superstar forward in 2014-15 and is eager for the extra motivation

David Williams says he won't mind being benched in favour of David Villa, but hopes Melbourne City's new-look attack proves big enough for both forwards.

Williams was his team's top scorer last season, netting 12 goals in their final A-League campaign under the guise of Melbourne Heart.

He will have a team-mate with unparalleled pedigree to help share the goal-scoring burden for at least part of 2014-15, as UEFA Champions League, La Liga and FIFA World Cup winner Villa arrives for a spell on loan from New York City FC.

And although the Spanish star could represent a threat to Williams' place in John van 't Schip's starting XI, the former Brondby and North Queensland Fury man is focusing on the positives of having such an exciting new colleague.

"If I'm losing my place to a player like David Villa, I probably won't have that many complaints," he told Goal Australia.

"He's David Villa for a reason.

"I'd love to be playing alongside him. Hopefully there's room for both of us in the team. It'll push myself as a player and hopefully I can do even better than last year. I need someone pushing me and if it's him, bring it on.

"Everyone playing up front has a responsibility to score goals. Strikers are judged on how many goals they score. I'm sure he'll start off with a big bang."

433120_heroa.jpg

In addition to Villa's loan spell, Damien Duff has also agreed to join the club for the 2014-15 season, while reports continue to circulate about Frank Lampard following Villa to the A-League ahead of a move to New York City FC.

According to Williams, those transfer rumours have generated plenty of discussion within the squad, but the players remain as much in the dark as the supporters and journalists awaiting news of the former Chelsea star's next move.

"If it was to happen, it'll be great," he said.

"Until he's signed and it's announced then it's never really true. In football things can happen overnight, things can happen in a matter of hours. We know as much as the press. It's more about the excitement of possibly getting him at the moment."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2014/07/08/4943748/bring-it-on-williams-welcomes-villa-competition

Edited by Murfy1

I think Willo is a quality player with the ability to win a game off his own boot.. but his a confidence type player as well and if JVS can manage him well I'm expecting him to go another level and I would be surprised if he makes Ange's Socceroo squad for the up coming Asian Cup, I would add Aaron Mooy to that also.

I'm expecting big things from these 2 players this year...

I believe he has only been offered a 2 year contract extension and also is not our Aussie Marquee which could prove to be a blessing... no pressure and needs to perform to secure his future..