Melbourne Football

Curtis Good Appreciation Society

toogood18

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

THAT clearance, and the players involved in it, will be etched into football folklore for ever. How he made up the distance to get back to the ball in time defeats me.

Never seen anything like it. Never give up on anything, kids. Great lesson. 

What made it even sweeter was, Cox spent most of the game complaining about everything. Maybe if he complained a bit less he’d have had a bit more energy to sprint to the ball. 

Edited by Harrison
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Never seen anything like it. Never give up on anything, kids. Great lesson. 

What made it even sweeter was, Cox spent most of the game complaining about everything. Maybe if he complained a bit less he’d have had a bit more energy to sprint to the ball. 

It looked as though he was trying to shield the ball and let it go over the line without him touching it. I can only think that he mistakenly thought that if he touched the ball he would be penalised in some way and the goal would not stand. I feel a little sorry for him actually - he'll never forget such a disastrous mistake.

• 5 months later...
On 27/08/2020 at 9:14 AM, IssySG said:

Remember when Curtis Good was on Arnie’s Socceroo radar a couple months back? I feel like last night didn’t hurt his chances

Next year. Curtis to become first name on the Australian team sheet.

Been a long time coming and the journey this man has taken has made it all the more worthwhile.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I reckon the Terrace have got it right.He’s pretty fucking good.

Was immense tonight. Again. No one probably really noticed though, it’s just what we’ve come to expect. The one blemish I guess was hitting the cross bar with that header. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought from where I was sitting it was O'Neill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, as superb as Good has been this season, there's every possibility that he might not be selected for the Socceroos squad given the depth of players. 

For mine, Degenek and Sainsbury are all but certain starters while Souttar is probably 3rd choice. Now I would argue that Good is 4th in line or maybe even on par with big Harry, but then you have to consider Wilkinson who despite his age - is a stonewall favourite of Arnold's, in addition to Wright who's got plenty of national team experience and is still playing in England.

Not saying Good doesn't deserve it based on his league-best form this season, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he doesn't end up being picked. At best, I still don't think he'll play minutes unless injuries permit.

23 minutes ago, citypool said:

So happy for Good to recover from his injuries come back to us on a one year Contract now he will most likely be a socceroo and a premiership playa

He's the unsung hero of this season. Mr. Reliable. An ever-present so far, and has barely put a foot wrong.

Just shows that it's not always the headline-grabbers who are the best players in a club.

I hope he can finish his playing career with us and then stay on in some capacity.

22 minutes ago, Nate said:

You know, as superb as Good has been this season, there's every possibility that he might not be selected for the Socceroos squad given the depth of players. 

For mine, Degenek and Sainsbury are all but certain starters while Souttar is probably 3rd choice. Now I would argue that Good is 4th in line or maybe even on par with big Harry, but then you have to consider Wilkinson who despite his age - is a stonewall favourite of Arnold's, in addition to Wright who's got plenty of national team experience and is still playing in England.

Not saying Good doesn't deserve it based on his league-best form this season, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if he doesn't end up being picked. At best, I still don't think he'll play minutes unless injuries permit.

You’re a voice of reason. 
For mine though I’ve never rated DeGenek or Wright (solid defenders but lack the touch for the highest level) and Wilkinson is 3 years passed his prime. The clincher to me though is aren’t all those guys right footers? I think Sainsbury starts with Curtis or Harry.

Also Arnie has said he’s taking 30 into camp, no way he’s leaving a top performing left foot centre back out of that squad.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nate said:

My inside information suggests to me he will be selected or at the very least is in contention. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

You’re a voice of reason. 
For mine though I’ve never rated DeGenek or Wright (solid defenders but lack the touch for the highest level) and Wilkinson is 3 years passed his prime. The clincher to me though is aren’t all those guys right footers? I think Sainsbury starts with Curtis or Harry.

Also Arnie has said he’s taking 30 into camp, no way he’s leaving a top performing left foot centre back out of that squad.

True, I didn't consider Good's left-sidedness to be fair which will definitely be to his advantage. 

It would be criminal if he didn't make a squad of 30 but I'm definitely not certain he's in the best 23, though that's neither here nor there. Loved his game this season and I loved him as a Heart man so I really hope he gets rewarded, especially given what he's gone through.

• Like 2

I'm hoping that Arnold has some sympathy for the plight of the A-League managers and might avoid taking someone who he doesn't deem as an essential pick.

Obviously it'd be great for Curtis to go, and he deserves it IMO, but to take him out of our finals campaign to go and warm the bench for the Roos would be incredibly frustrating from a City perspective. We'll see I guess.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Embee said:

I'm hoping that Arnold has some sympathy for the plight of the A-League managers and might avoid taking someone who he doesn't deem as an essential pick.

Obviously it'd be great for Curtis to go, and he deserves it IMO, but to take him out of our finals campaign to go and warm the bench for the Roos would be incredibly frustrating from a City perspective. We'll see I guess.

Didn’t he say he wants a squad of 30, with some fringe players just to get some experience. When I read that, seemed like there was little regard for the A league still running. Imagine camp starting with Ozzies still being active in the CL or EL finals (If those dates would clash) - clubs won’t agree to it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2020 at 10:30 PM, Shahanga said:

Next year. Curtis to become first name on the Australian team sheet.

Been a long time coming and the journey this man has taken has made it all the more worthwhile.

In the squad, so Im claiming a green line. 
He and Sainsbury will be our first choice centre backs at the qualification tournament I reckon. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

No looks to me that Connor Metcalf has won it quite comfortably. Reis and Tilio came home with a wet sail

yes the main thing being that most fans get a little over excited especially when we are going so well that they seem to forget that without these player such as Griff Good Reis etc battling away at the back have put the rest of the team in a position to win.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Surely he will win forum voting here?

I think the 3 2 1 system rewards players who have a number of fantastic games, ahead of players who are “just” very Good week in week out.

I doubt I gave Curtis player of the system based on my votes but I did on the season as a whole.

10 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I think the 3 2 1 system rewards players who have a number of fantastic games, ahead of players who are “just” very Good week in week out.

I doubt I gave Curtis player of the system based on my votes but I did on the season as a whole.

IMO it will always favour forwards over defenders. However, I don't know that it's always a poor system. A sold defender such as Curtis Good playing say 28 matches could amass 28 points by the end of the season with 1 point per match, and that would be enough to win it. You'd need someone to have 9 or so "blinders" to beat that score.

Curtis was running second when the leaderboard was last updated.

Where's @neio with the final tally?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, citymad said:

where are the numbers for who won?

Go back and check every MOTM to Game 17 and then do the numbers. Connor had a lead of 5pts against Curtis at Game 17 and put on a few more points since. Curtis only gets another 3 votes for the season, mainly due to the emergence of Nuno as a rock in the back in the last part of the season

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it will always favour forwards over defenders. However, I don't know that it's always a poor system. A sold defender such as Curtis Good playing say 28 matches could amass 28 points by the end of the season with 1 point per match, and that would be enough to win it. You'd need someone to have 9 or so "blinders" to beat that score.

Curtis was running second when the leaderboard was last updated.

Where's @neio with the final tally?

Oh I don’t mind 3 2 1, just think it’s a slightly different take. Incidentally many (some?) AFL clubs score each player every week. 
A Bart wins regardless of the method, but in seasons like this when week in week out most of the side played well, subtle changes could impact the final tally.

We’ve had about 4 fantastic players this season and a whole host of very good players. You could mount a case for about 10 winners depending on your angle.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...