Melbourne Football

Curtis Good Appreciation Society

toogood18

Brillant! Good for Good, good for Newcastle, good for the A-League, good for the Socceroos and most of all, brillantly good for the reputation of Melbourne Heart ... now Curtis better deliver for his new club...

actually, on reflection, I am strugling to think of a better or bigger transfer out of the A-league in its entire history....

how much did langerak go for?

have a feeling he was up around the same mark

Edited by heart_fan10

FFA will get $120,000 of this. What did those farkin kunts do for it?

I read today that the FFA percentage will drop to 10% of transfers after the meeting they had with club owners reps which is chaired by our own Peter Sidwell. Hopefully that covers the Good and possibly Hamill transfers. I bet Sidwell argued pretty hard for that.

I read today that the FFA percentage will drop to 10% of transfers after the meeting they had with club owners reps which is chaired by our own Peter Sidwell. Hopefully that covers the Good and possibly Hamill transfers. I bet Sidwell argued pretty hard for that.

Let's hope. The difference between 10% and 20% is a fair bit considering we've made three relatively big transfers.

Good moves to new pitch

Michael Lynch

Published: July 26, 2012 - 3:00AM

MELBOURNE Heart teenager Curtis Good's whirlwind journey to the top of the soccer tree moved a step closer to reality last night when the 18-year-old from Rowville flew out of Melbourne to join English Premier League side Newcastle United.

The centre-half, who made such an impression in a short time with Heart, must pass a medical in England, but once through that, he becomes a Newcastle player.

Good tried out with the Geordies earlier this year when assistant coach Steve Stone, the former Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and England midfielder, was impressed enough to suggest he train with the first team squad as a prelude to the club making a formal offer for the youngster.

Good's move was delayed by the length of time it took his visa to come through, but before he left yesterday he said he was nervous, excited and confident about his prospects at such a big club.

''Its a great opportunity for me. I have to pass the medical, but if that all goes OK, as I hope, then I will be a Newcastle player,'' he said.

''I feel a bit like I did when I was younger, leaving home to go to the [Australian Institute of Sport]. That was a new environment for me and this is too, with a bigger challenge. But I am looking forward to it.''

Melbourne Heart coach John Aloisi said Good's move illustrated Heart's commitment to player development. ''Newcastle United is one of the biggest clubs in the United Kingdom, and we are delighted he has the opportunity to test his wares on such a stage,'' he said.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.co...0725-22qxp.html

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

first article on the official NUFC website. Great exposure for the club, not the best photo of curtis though hahapost-412-0-79073600-1343737799_thumb.png

By Dan King - Newcastle United Club Reporter

Newcastle United have today completed the signing of Australian youngster Curtis Good.

The 19-year-old defender has signed a six-year deal with the Magpies following a successful trial.

Good, a highly-rated centre-back, will join up with his team-mates when they return from their tour to Portugal this week.

The former Melbourne Hearts player has represented his country at under-19 level and has also been tipped for full international honours.

The Club wish to thank Melbourne Heart for its professionalism and cooperation throughout the transfer.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120731/its-good-news-for-magpies_2281670_2866556

Edited by heart_fan10

Here is what some of the Newcastle fans are saying....

http://www.nufcblog.com/2012/07/31/curis-good-signs-six-year-deal-at-newcastle-its-official/

they seem to like him and reckon he will get some 1st team game time soon

In terms of high profile, I reckon this is the most prestigous transfer out of the A-League in the competitions history

they obviously see him as a future starting 11 player soon. It wouldn't make sense to sign someone for 6 years just to loan them out to lower clubs until the contract ends

Short term it will make sense, will any teams be willing to bite on an Australian 19yo though? or will the fact that he is quite highly rated with a 6 year deal at newcastle be enough to get him some league 1 or even championship action? where does the Prem youth league sit in comparison to said leagues?

Curtis Good’s an ‘outstanding’ talent – and can succeed at Newcastle United

689678142.jpg

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Tuesday 7 August 2012 09:31

CURTIS Good is an unknown quantity in England – but maybe not for too much longer.

The defender joined Newcastle United after a stunning breakthrough season at Melbourne Heart.

Good signed for the A-League club from the Australian Institute of Sport early year.

It’s Good to be here, says Newcastle new boy Curtis

And the rest is history.

The teenager – expected to be involved against Hartlepool United tonight – played 25 games for Melbourne last season, and was invited for a trial at Newcastle in April.

And last week he signed a six-year deal at St James’s Park, the length of the contract underlining the faith United manager Alan Pardew and his staff have in Good, who cost a reported £400,000.

He’s described as a “rare commodity” in football by the club’s football operations manager, John Didulica, who believes the centre-half possesses the physique, touch and vision to play at the highest level.

“Curtis had just turned 18 when we signed him,” Didulica told the Gazette.

“We expected him to come into the system to learn and improve, but he started our first game because of his qualities.

“He’s already big and strong. He’s tall and quite powerful. He’s not scared of a physical battle at all, and he’s technically outstanding. He’s got a wonderful left foot.

“There aren’t too many players in the world, let alone Australia, who are big, strong and have a wonderful pass.

“We put him in, and he didn’t let us down. He ended up playing 25 games for us last season, which was great.”

Newcastle liked what they saw of the footballer when he arrived at the club’s Benton training ground, and they also did their research on Good’s character before signing him.

Again, it was flawless, the 19-year-old possessing a level head.

“We signed him from the Australian Institute of Sport – it’s the national centre where the most talented young players work,” added Didulica, himself a former player.

“He’s originally from Melbourne, so we tracked him there.

“He’s bright and down to earth. He’s a quiet lad. He goes about his business, and does what the coaching staff say.”

While Melbourne, coached by former Coventry City striker John Aloisi, were disappointed to lose Good so early in his fledgling career, they couldn’t have been happier at his destination.

“You’re always disappointed to lose a player, but we’ll look to develop another young footballer,” said Didulica. “We’re not going to hold kids back from playing in England for a club like Newcastle United. Hopefully, everyone wins.”

United praised Melbourne’s “professionalism and co-operation” during Good’s transfer.

Didulica went on: “To get recognition from Newcastle United for helping them is fantastic. It’s great, particularly as it’s a club like Newcastle. Some of the world’s greatest players have played for the club, and the supporters are among the best in the world as well.

“Our club, Melbourne Heart, has only been around for a couple of years, and it’s a massive feather in our cap. One of the things we focus on is identifying and developing young players.

“To have have done that with Curtis makes us very proud.”

Didulica’s confident Good, an Australia Under-20 international, can make significant progress for both club and country over the coming years.

“He was an exceptional player for us last year – he’s a rare commodity in football,” said Didulica. “He’s a great athlete – powerful and strong – and he’s also very comfortable on the ball.

“Without putting too much pressure on him, he’s a future international.”

Ironically, Didulica – whose brother Joey played for Croatia – has long had an affinity with Newcastle. He has a black and white strip from the mid-1990s hanging on his wall.

“I love the strip and the beer – I’ve always had a real soft spot for Newcastle United,” he added.

“Everyone knows Peter Beardsley, Kevin Keegan and Paul Gascoigne. There was also David Ginola in the 1990s.

“It’s a famous club in in Australia, as it is in the rest of the world.

“For us, it’s fantastic to do business with a club like that.”

It seems certain there’ll be another United jersey winging its way Down Under in the not-too-distant future, this time with the name Good on the back.

http://www.jarrowandhebburngazette.com/sport/curtis-good-s-an-outstanding-talent-and-can-succeed-at-newcastle-united-1-4809295

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...