Melbourne Football

Curtis Good Appreciation Society

toogood18

NEWCASTLE United are to make Australian teenager Curtis Good their first summer signing after he impressed in a ten-day trial on Tyneside.

Good, who is a defender with Aussie side Melbourne Heart, impressed in a number of sessions at Newcastle's Darsley Park training base, and The Insider expects a formal approach for his services ahead of the opening of the transfer window later this summer.

The centre-half started his spell with the reserves squad, but was included in a number of senior sessions such was the extent of his impact.

However, Newcastle could have to pay up to £250,000 for the 19-year-old, as Melbourne Heart regard Good as the prize asset in their squad.

Melbourne officials turned down an offer of about £100,000 from Italian side Cagliari for full-back Michael Marrone last year, but The Insider has learned that Good is rated much more highly.

The youngster made 25 senior appearances in his debut season for Melbourne and is expected to be earn a first senior Socceroos call-up when head coach Holger Osieck names his next squad.

Source.

• Like 2

Hell yeah!

MHFC vs NUFC at AAMI Park would be legend.....wait for it.......dary!!!!!!

P.S. I want the money for him too.......

hshahahahahhaha

lol.

its awks because we actually need the money! ;)

take 20% out of the transfer fee and treat ourselves to an exhibition game against them!

like i said:

CISSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE :wub:

Edited by nicotera5

Would be good to see him the next Socceroos squad as well. I can see him and Spiranovic HAMILL becoming the two centre backs of the Socceroos in the future.

Dont forget, Hamill's got a bright future too, just didnt get the best opportunity to showcase it this season.

Spiranovic's still a better player though. lol. dont know where im going with this. :P

Edited by nicotera5

To much love for him in all honesty, if he wins more than 10 senior international caps, I'll eat my seat at the MRS.

Ps, damn you strong Aussie dollar, in 2009 that would have equaled a touch over $600,000

Edited by LR9

So Good has EU citizenship, I assume British parents?

$1mil pls.

A-League needs to stop selling players too cheap, especially when its a premier league club that will also be in European competition.

And no need for a sell on fee percentage, 95% chance that he is leaving Newcastle on a free after a few years of no senior league games. Would prefer guaranteed money upfront.

Would love Curtis to get a gig in the EPL, but not with the bloody Geordies. Should join the Mackems on Wearside.

He's gone to a bigger, and in my opinion, much better club in Newcastle United.

Hopefully the experiences of Europe he will see will make him a better player also. To be around guys like Colloccini will be immense. Good luck to the lad.

To much love for him in all honesty

:blink: For real? Himself and Hamill are the two assets that are head and shoulders above the rest at the club(barring Eli if he has a 15+ goal season). Not enough love shown for both imo.

Stated 4-6 weeks ago about their European destiny in another thread and sure enough one looks to be gone all ready.

For what it's worth, I would feel we've shafted ourselves accepting anything less than 450k AUD plus another bonus 250k tied until say 15-20 senior appearances. That negates the percentage sell on risk, explains itself really.

Edited by downbylaw

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/239304,good-flies-home-as-toon-lose-interest.aspx

NEWCASTLE United are said to have gone cool on Melbourne Heart teenager Curtis Good who has been trialling at the English Premier League side.

The 19 year old defender has now flown home to Australia after the trial failed to land him a dream move to the Premiership.

The Newcastle Chronicle says the youngster was one of several trialists being assessed by the club as they look to bolster their developmental pool but didn't do enough to impress.

Good last month had his initial trial extended to allow Magpies coach Allan Pardew to have a closer look at the teenage sensation.

"It's just a short trial. I'll just train and play games, and if they're happy, I'll hopefully get an offer, but if not, then I'll just enjoy the experience,” Good told United’s website before the trial was extended.

This season the former AIS star played 25 times for Heart under Dutch mentor John van’t Schip (now coach of Mexican club Chivas).

Good helped Heart qualify for the A-League finals in only their second season in Australia's top league.

Seems strange, they went from seemingly red hot to cold in the matter of a week. Makes me think that an offer was made but Heart laughed in their faces and wanted triple.

When queried in twitter about it, NUFC responded with something along the lines of;

We are in the process of restructing our youth system, so we are not looking at signing anyone at the moment.

Think he signed for 3yrs.

Must mention, just because they didn't snap him up doesn't mean he wasn't ready for the challenge. There may be several other factors involved. Pretty confident though other Epl teams would have payed attention to the trial. He'll do really well and be our best export... Eventually!

Think he signed for 3yrs.

Must mention, just because they didn't snap him up doesn't mean he wasn't ready for the challenge. There may be several other factors involved. Pretty confident though other Epl teams would have payed attention to the trial. He'll do really well and be our best export... Eventually!

yeaah, got us a bit of media coverage, and something to banter to our/my mong friends. :D

Agreed. The big clubs scout the world and must churn through a bunch of trialists. Only very few get signed up and for him to have the trial extended is a big positive. He'll be better off back with us playing every game.

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like a deal has been done after all. It's absolutely great for the lad.

It's disappointing to be losing good young players, but $600,000 is good money for a 19 year old with only one season of A League experience. I hope we've negotiated a percentage of his next transfer as well.

Looking forward to following his progress.

Edited by Sash

Good on him. Good for us.

$600000 seems to be the going rate for players from our part of the world as I heard the Japanese are getting similar prices for their quality players going to Europe. Hopefully as Sash said, we will get a cut of any future transfer.

It is good as well that we have Hamill to step straight in as he hardly put a foot wrong when he played.

Curtis Good, I hope this move works out well for you.

WOW two young guns snapped up for over a mill, handy cash in the clubs pocket! Both should feature heavily for the Socceroos in the coming years, and these moves should help them develop nicely! Shows that FC Melbourne is a club for aspiring youngsters wanting to showcase their talents and progress overseas...keep up the good work Melbourne!!

Edited by MHFC-FAN