Melbourne Football

The New Handball Rule.

Shahanga

1 hour ago, johnno cpfc said:

For me the biggest f/up at the moment is the offside rule/s as this changes from game to game . Holding the flag down to see what happens is total bullshit .

For that’s the easiest one since the introduction of VAR. “Keep your flag down if your are unsure on close calls”. Hasn’t that been the same for years now?

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

For that’s the easiest one since the introduction of VAR. “Keep your flag down if your are unsure on close calls”. Hasn’t that been the same for years now?

well it was more benefit of doubt goes to the attacking team

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 6:17 PM, Mr MO said:

yes but to then raise it after a goal has been scored is just diabolical , to me i means the linesman/person has had a change of mind , nothing more nothing less .

I don't see the problem. If you let play run and a goal is scored then put up your flag for a review by VAR and it comes out you've called the offside incorrectly than the goal stands. If you had put the flag up and you're incorrect then the attacking team has just lost the opportunity to score from the lineman's error.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

I don't see the problem. If you let play run and a goal is scored then put up your flag for a review by VAR and it comes out you've called the offside incorrectly than the goal stands. If you had put the flag up and you're incorrect then the attacking team has just lost the opportunity to score from the lineman's error.

I don't have a problem with this. My problem is with the VAR. The game is played in real time and IMO decisions should be made in real time. If the Video Assisted Referee (which is what VAR stands for - it's not a machine it's a person) can't make a decision within 30 seconds then IMO the call is too close to make and the original decision of goal/no goal should stand.

The situation we had with Luna's disallowed goal was ridiculous. The Field Referee signalled goal and then the VAR interfered with that and took 3-5 minutes to come to the most marginal of decisions. In fact it was too close to call and the goal should have been allowed to stand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't have a problem with this. My problem is with the VAR. The game is played in real time and IMO decisions should be made in real time. If the Video Assisted Referee (which is what VAR stands for - it's not a machine it's a person) can't make a decision within 30 seconds then IMO the call is too close to make and the original decision of goal/no goal should stand.

The situation we had with Luna's disallowed goal was ridiculous. The Field Referee signalled goal and then the VAR interfered with that and took 3-5 minutes to come to the most marginal of decisions. In fact it was too close to call and the goal should have been allowed to stand.

I think perhaps that particular example doesn’t reflect the discussion well - in your example they were also reviewing the shoulder barge from Nabbout and we had a WSW player on the grass with a head injury all contributing to the long delay.

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think perhaps that particular example doesn’t reflect the discussion well - in your example they were also reviewing the shoulder barge from Nabbout and we had a WSW player on the grass with a head injury all contributing to the long delay.

Who says they were reviewing the shoulder barge? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rass said:

Who says they were reviewing the shoulder barge? 

Who’s knows, the whole WSW team was up in arms about it of course as they didn’t know it was offside but only seen the shoulder barge. No doubt it was spoken about it up stairs. We scored out of the situation as well. I’m not sure what they would have done if it wasn’t offside, perhaps given but still reviewed.

Point is.... that game was stopped longer as normal as the kid black out and not necessarily due to the VAR offside review. IMO.

Do you think the stoppage would have been as long if he kept his head?

Edited by Mr MO

9 hours ago, Le Hack said:

The ball then goes out for a corner so VAR is not called on, then the attacking team scores. What then?

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The ball then goes out for a corner so VAR is not called on, then the attacking team scores. What then?

This emphasises my point. How much of the game are you going to replay to look at to retrospectively change decisions? In the Luna disallowed goal incident the field referee and assistant field referees saw nothing wrong in the whole play and the ref. signalled "goal." AFAIK he didn't even ask the VAR for an opinion - nothing came up on the screen until the very end of the waiting time.

That's why I think this incident was/is a misuse of the role of a Video Assisted Referee.

Edited by jw1739

15 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Are you sure? I thought that VAR is called in this situation - well at least meant to. Hard to tell with the quality of refereeing.

No I’m not sure.

Speculating. Lazily.

Commentators have talked about this, but possibly not the A League though, I can’t remember now.

18 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This emphasises my point. How much of the game are you going to replay to look at to retrospectively change decisions? In the Luna disallowed goal incident the field referee and assistant field referees saw nothing wrong in the whole play and the ref. signalled "goal." AFAIK he didn't even ask the VAR for an opinion - nothing came up on the screen until the very end of the waiting time.

That's why I think this incident was/is a misuse of the role of a Video Assisted Referee.

Doesn’t the VAR check with every goal for possible offences?

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Who’s knows, the whole WSW team was up in arms about it of course as they didn’t know it was offside but only seen the shoulder barge. No doubt it was spoken about it up stairs. We scored out of the situation as well. I’m not sure what they would have done if it wasn’t offside, perhaps given but still reviewed.

Point is.... that game was stopped longer as normal as the kid black out and not necessarily due to the VAR offside review. IMO.

Do you think the stoppage would have been as long if he kept his head?

Yeah, i actually do. VAR can take forever at times.

BTW, one thing i don't like about waiting till the end of that phase of play to call the offside is what if someone gets injured in that time. E.g. keeper comes flying out and takes out a player as the play is continuing. Wouldn't happen if the offside is instantly called.

• Like 2