Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj Appreciation..

Mozilla

Great player, won't be with us for long. But why does he seem like he's always angry about something?

I disagree, whilst I agree he's an incredible talent, I don't think he's come far enough in his developement to warrant a transfer to Europe - I'm sure Eli himself agree with that too.

Also, if he leaves at the end of this year there is the possibility he won't command as much of a transfer fee as he would if he left at the end of next season.

He always seems grumpy because when has their ever been an ethnic, surly, number 9 who has played with a smile on his face? Think Sibon, Viduka, Imbrahimovic, Zigic etc.

He realy needs to cement himself before going overseas, play some regular starters, which could eventuate next year and increase his value to sides that want him and for us as a selling value. But more for his maturity, JVS is no bunny when it comes to development.

Who takes our penalty's? Would like to see Eli take them, very composed fella from what ive seen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we've only been given one penalty this season and it was against Perth in round 2. Williams took it and converted.

Edited by NoMorePineapple

He needs to learn how to pass, he tries to do too much when the ball is at his feet, so many times yesterday he tried to dribble past what seemed 50 (might be a slight exaggeration) Glory players when a simple pass was the better option. Shony absolutely lost his shit at him at one stage and deservedly so.

The kid has the makings of an unreal player, I know he is only young and he'll learn but fuck it was pissing me off yesterday.

Dribbled past two and drew a penalty. It's not as if you were waiting to receive the pass yourself, Sharpy ;)

I was, were sitting on the wing right in front of a few of his attempted dribbles. Thought I was in the right position to send in a ripper cross but he burnt me time and time again.

That run for the penalty was good, obviously. Just needs to learn when to use his dribbling skills and when to pass. Also, note that I am having a bitch on an internet forum as if I was to do it to his face he'd probably eat me! #theladisafuckinggiant

LIke I said before. Put the ball at Babalj's feet and something will happen. Both free kicks that we almost scored from were from him not to mention the penalty. As for him trying to dribble too much and not passing at least it showed he was taking the game on when most of the other boys were content with passing the ball around and pretty much taking to long to get it foward. This worked out beautifully for Glory's defenders as it gave them time to organise themselves.

What did my head in was the amount of time we got the ball into the final third without getting a ball into the penalty area - instead we went back even as far as Bolton (I think he got more kicks than some players). On half the occasions all he could do is bomb it foward and we ended up giving away possession. It would have been better to make that final pass or cross even if the odds of something comming out of it were less than 50/50.

So Sharpy I don't agree with you getting pissed off at Babalj for dribbling too much when really he only got caught out a couple of times and that was at the end of the game when we were getting desperate and nothing else was working.

Better to get pissed off with some unimaginative midfield work.

• Like 2

So Sharpy I don't agree with you getting pissed off at Babalj for dribbling too much when really he only got caught out a couple of times and that was at the end of the game when we were getting desperate and nothing else was working.

Agree to disagree my friend, I like him taking blokes on, I love anyone taking blokes on but it has to be every now and again, not all the time. His run for the penalty was great as were a few others. It is just when there were times that he had 3 Glory blokes behind him and he tried to turn back through them when the pass out wide to Germano (who would have been in a crossing position) was on.

He'll learn this with age, just gets frustrating when he tries to do too much. Aziz was a bit the same yesterday.

But I'll agree with you on the basis that he is trying to take the game on, I like that, he just needs to know when to do it and not burn teammates in better positions.

No one puts the ball on Ibrahimovic's head, not that he isn't a tall strong guy or a reasonably good header. They put it at his feet because he is devastating to opposition defences with his ability to penetrate them. Thats what needs to happen with Babalj.

And lol @ all the disbelievers getting owned. I know who you are, I remember when errrbody was anti-Babalj in season 1 now errrbody is on the "Babalj is a future socceroos, he needs to go to Europe, etc." time.

Edited by Tesla

Put the ball at Babalj's feet and something will happen. Both free kicks that we almost scored from were from him not to mention the penalty. As for him trying to dribble too much and not passing at least it showed he was taking the game on when most of the other boys were content with passing the ball around and pretty much taking too long to get it foward. This worked out beautifully for Glory's defenders as it gave them time to organise themselves.

What did my head in was the amount of time we got the ball into the final third without getting a ball into the penalty area - instead we went back even as far as Bolton (I think he got more kicks than some players). On half the occasions all he could do is bomb it foward and we ended up giving away possession. It would have been better to make that final pass or cross even if the odds of something comming out of it were less than 50/50.

Couldn't agree more. Eli coming into the team is one of the reasons we've actually won a few games this season. So, he dribbled a bit too much on a couple of occasions - I'd rather that than the endless back-passing we saw from a number of other players. Contrast Perth - every time they got the ball forward they put the ball into the box. All they needed to do was wait for the defensive mistake - we made two and that was the game. We lost that game rather than Perth won it.

Edited by jw1739