Melbourne Football

Eli Babalj Appreciation..

Mozilla

The other thing to consider for Babalj and the club is that Red Star has not paid its players for a month and they are owed massive amounts of money. They have actually been striking..

Heart might be waiting a while for their transfer fee.. :mellow:

can only hope this makes the deal fall through. I want babalj to stay another season, otherwise it ruins my plans of having his name on the back of my new kappa top next season -_-

Maycon, Pahang legend. Scored the winner on debut in a 3-2 win, scored in the 84th and 89th in a 3-2 win the next week, followed by a hattrick in their most recent game.

gives you an indication of the qualiry of the league if he can score that often over there yet could barely score in our youth team

and just like that, he was gone.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/soccer/red-star-swoops-on-heart-striker-eli-babalj/story-e6frfg8x-1226386690086

Red Star swoops on Heart striker Eli Babalj

• David Davutovic
  • June 07, 2012 12:00AM

005579-120227s-eli-babalj.jpg

Eli Babalj has signed a two-year deal with Red Star. Herald Sun

TALENTED Melbourne Heart striker Eli Babalj has been snapped up by Serbian giant Red Star Belgrade.

Babalj, who turned 20 last February, signed a two-year deal with the 1991 European champion and has the option of a third year.

The Herald Sun understands Red Star has paid about $500,000 for Babalj, although that figure could rise with add-ons factored into the deal.

Heart received more lucrative offers from abroad but Red Star coach Robert Prosinecki's interest in Babalj swayed him to join the club he supported as a youngster.

Born in Sarajevo, Babalj's family emigrated to Australia when he was a toddler.

His career path is mimicking Mark Viduka's, who moved to Dinamo Zagreb at the same age after two seasons in the national league.

While Babalj has not dominated the local competition like Viduka, who departed as dual top scorer and player of the year in an arguably stronger competition (1993-95), the Heart product improved immensely in the 2011-12 campaign after overcoming a series of injuries.

After just two goals in a 13-game debut season, the AIS graduate finished last season as the club's top scorer with nine in 22 games and Heart looked a far more potent force with him.

Babalj's exit leaves Heart with a gaping hole in attack although there is now sufficient room in the salary cap (almost $1 million) to find a ready-made replacement.

But the club's first sale is also validation of the club's strategic youth policy.

No offer has yet been tabled from English club Newcastle United for defender Curtis Good, who was yesterday selected in Paul Okon's Young Socceroos squad.

Former Gold Coast attacker Golgol Mebrahtu is likely to be Heart's next signing, with three foreign spots still available.

Red Star tracked Babalj all season and Prosinecki, a former Real Madrid and Barcelona midfielder, made personal calls, including one to Australian-born Croatia defender Joe Simunic.

It's understood Prosinecki views the skilled 194cm striker as a first XI player.

Well if it is a sell on % chances are if he only signed a 2 year deal, after 1 good year people would just wait the next year and get him on a free...

There is an option for a 3rd year, I assume the option is the club's, so they arent stuck with him for 3 year if he doesnt work out. So if he does do well then its pretty much a 3 year contract.

Not happy at all about this. We should expect more than one or two seasons service from our best young talent. We've now lost Scott Goodwin and Eli Babalj. Curtis Good could leave. How many other of our young guns? Who have we signed to replace them? At present it's not looking good for next season. What's the point filling our team with young talent learning if you can't get decent service from them? I'm really pissed off. I've been a member for the first two seasons. Not sure whether I will renew my my membership. I also follow Aussie Rules. At least there I don't have to put up with my club having its team destroyed by losing its best young talent.

Not happy at all about this. We should expect more than one or two seasons service from our best young talent. We've now lost Scott Goodwin and Eli Babalj. Curtis Good could leave. How many other of our young guns? Who have we signed to replace them? At present it's not looking good for next season. What's the point filling our team with young talent learning if you can't get decent service from them? I'm really pissed off. I've been a member for the first two seasons. Not sure whether I will renew my my membership. I also follow Aussie Rules. At least there I don't have to put up with my club having its team destroyed by losing its best young talent.

• Like 1

clueless

• Like 2

I'm really pissed off. Not sure whether I will renew my my membership. I also follow Aussie Rules. At least there I don't have to put up with my club having its team destroyed by losing its best young talent.

stick to the club.

TBH, we will sign SOMEONE eventually.

its a completely different sport, but it happens in AFL too. I go for the Demons and we lost Scully to GWS for a couple of shit house picks.

FFS.

If you want instant success then you have come to the wrong club. Our youth policy is one that requires a few seasons of patience before the benefits will be seen. Its a long term strategy that will (in theory) bring long term financial stability, allowing us to eventually have a lethal combination of experience and a pool of rising stars.

There are pros and cons about having a strong youth policy, particularly being a smaller club.

Con- often young and exciting players will get stars in their eyes and want to go overseas before we feel they are ready or have significantly contributed to the club. It is a shame, but that is life in modern football.

Pro- It is a source of income. I would rather us lose a few talented kids here and there but still have a club to support at the end of the day.

Cant say I am thrilled about this departure, but if it helps pay our debt and we survive because of it then it had to happen. The club has to ensure it will be able to survive before it looks at becoming a power house.

Edited by KSK_47

My main issue with this is our we actually financially strong enough to take this short term pain to cont. on a long term strategy?

I think in view of Heart’s constant focus on Talented Youth they need to perhaps be reminded where they actually sit on the Food Chain of World Football.

As TBH its nearer to Bergers and Southern Stars than Ajax and Barca up the top.

Edited by cadete

My main issue with this is our we actually financially strong enough to take this short term pain to cont. on a long term strategy?

I think in view of Heart’s constant focus on Talented Youth they need to perhaps be reminded where they actually sit on the Food Chain of World Football.

As TBH its nearer to Bergers and Southern Stars than Ajax and Barca up the top.

Yes. I completely agree. It is a worry. I suppose all I can do is sit back and hope this plan comes off.

Its either going to a) work- and in ten years time we will all be sitting around the pub saying "fuck, remember when we were all shitting ourselves about this and we thought we were going to go bust because we didnt think the club knew what they were doing?", or b )fail- and in ten years time we be left saying "remember Heart and their supposed long term "youth strategy?"", "Lol. Oh yeah! What a fucking disaster that was!"

Edited by KSK_47

I don't think a youth policy can ever work, its got to be a constant balancing act between experienced competitiveness and quality youth

Its a long term strategy that will (in theory) bring long term financial stability, allowing us to eventually have a lethal combination of experience and a pool of rising stars.

Yes. I think that is the idea.

Sometimes I feel MH are playing Dress Up as Ajax with all this "Vision" shit.

TBH the best thing that could happen for the club would for us to sign an Striker in the middle of his career who is a crack consistent scorer at Australian Domestic level but is largely incapable to match it the level above.

A lot of NSL journeymen names come to mind and TBH as does Smeltz and I hate to say it even Archie Thompson.

I hate the kent as much as anyone here (Ppl have heard my comments towards him @ Derbies) but to have a regular goal scorer whose is incapable of leaving for a stronger league is a rare luxury in the A League.

Edited by cadete

This is exactly why I have been saying the "Young Gun" theory people talk so much about on here is flawed for this League.

At the fan forum, JD's presentation highlighted that part of the culture of the club was the respect for the game and what the Heart can do for the good of the game in this country. In achieving this, the process of giving young talented players the oppurtunity to develop alongside a blend of experienced players, was discussed.

Are there any other A-league clubs that espouse their ethos this clearly? I dont think so.

Any gun young player from Australia will eventually end up oversees. With Eli, this was evident the moment he got on the field this season as he clealry had something that stood him apart from all other players in the league. The only other players in my mind who have impressed me as much, instanlty, were Langerak and Rogic. Eli was always destined to leave.

These types of players exist and are coming through, but they need to be found and they need a pathway.

I am happy for that pathway to be the Heart. At the world cup in Russia, or maybe even Brazil (if we make it that is), when Eli and Good are running around for the Socceroos, what better feeling to know that they got their true start at the Heart. This will be an awesome way to build the credibility of our club and stand it apart from the rest. And provided the team consists of the right blend of youth and experience, which is what they are after, there will be successes in the A-league and Asia.

The 'Young Gun' policy is perfect in this league for the club smart enough to get it right...

• Like 1

At the fan forum, JD's presentation highlighted that part of the culture of the club was the respect for the game and what the Heart can do for the good of the game in this country. In achieving this, the process of giving young talented players the oppurtunity to develop alongside a blend of experienced players, was discussed.

Are there any other A-league clubs that espouse their ethos this clearly? I dont think so.

Any gun young player from Australia will eventually end up oversees. With Eli, this was evident the moment he got on the field this season as he clealry had something that stood him apart from all other players in the league. The only other players in my mind who have impressed me as much, instanlty, were Langerak and Rogic. Eli was always destined to leave.

These types of players exist and are coming through, but they need to be found and they need a pathway.

I am happy for that pathway to be the Heart. At the world cup in Russia, or maybe even Brazil (if we make it that is), when Eli and Good are running around for the Socceroos, what better feeling to know that they got their true start at the Heart. This will be an awesome way to build the credibility of our club and stand it apart from the rest. And provided the team consists of the right blend of youth and experience, which is what they are after, there will be successes in the A-league and Asia.

The 'Young Gun' policy is perfect in this league for the club smart enough to get it right...

I tell u something better than seeing Ex Heart International Star players playing @ the WC on TV?

Being in the staduim in this country as Heart's Decent Domestic players win the club's first championship in front of growing supporter base who likes to watch a Winning Club not a Feeder Club.

Edited by cadete

Whoomp there it is!

I tell u something better than seeing Ex Heart International Star players playing @ the WC on TV?

Being in the staduim in this country as Heart's Decent Domestic players win the club's first championship in front of growing supporter base who likes to watch a Winning Club not a Feeder Club.

Hopefully some will stay but some will go and if they do we cant stop them. We just need to make sure we get cash money!

The negativity in this thread is toxic. Be critical all you like, its your prerogative of as a supporter but keep it within the realms of reality ffs.

Anybody thinking of jumping off or no longer supporting the club because of this, good riddance. We don't need ya.

I dont think anyone other than Parrot has suggested not supporting the club. I know I am not going anywhere. I think the discussion has just evolved into some (myself included) expressing concern for what will happen if the long term strategy does not pay off.

• Like 1

I have nothing against Eli wanting to play for his childhood club and therefore MH letting him do so.

I also like how the club has a talent at recruiting good young players and giving them a go.

I just think there needs to more of a balance of young players going places with some consistent solid A League Senior Players if we are to compete for the League.

The history of the A League and NSL have both shown this is the winning formula in Australian Domestic Soccer.

All I care about is Heart winning games, not warm fuzzy feelings about former Heart players playing in the EPL or at the WC:

Plain and Simple - Melbourne Heart winning games.

Edited by cadete

Quote from Eli in a 442 article:

"Hopefully, one day after my European adventure, I'll be able to return to Melbourne and once again play for Heart."

Even though it's disappointing to see him leave, a comment like that is very important. If the club keeps bringing through young talented players every season and they take the chance to go to bigger and better things in Europe, we should get to a stage in the future where ex-heart young guns will be finishing their football career overseas and coming back to the club as developed players.

Sometimes I feel MH are playing Dress Up as Ajax with all this "Vision" shit.

TBH the best thing that could happen for the club would for us to sign an Striker in the middle of his career who is a crack consistent scorer at Australian Domestic level but is largely incapable to match it the level above.

A lot of NSL journeymen names come to mind and TBH as does Smeltz and I hate to say it even Archie Thompson.

I hate the kent as much as anyone here (Ppl have heard my comments towards him @ Derbies) but to have a regular goal scorer whose is incapable of leaving for a stronger league is a rare luxury in the A League.

I agree, but you have to also look at things in terms of the salary cap. If we didn't have babalj last season, there's no way we could have fit a 25-26 year old striker who is banging in 10+ goals a year in the a-league in the salary cap because of the wages they would be commanding. For example, someone like Bruce Djite is capable of scoring 10+ goals a season in the a-league, just like babalj, and is in the middle of his career but hasn't been able to make it playing in a bigger league. The difference is, Djite at 25 years old would be asking for a salary of 150k+ where as the club could also be thinking, if they can find a young player around 18-21 who is capable of scoring as many goals as a Djite, archie thompson etc... they can basically get them on basic wages and it essentially won't take up as much of the salary cap as signing a 25-26 year old, for exactly the same end product. The downside to that of course is that the young player will eventually head overseas to bigger clubs just as babalj has done.

I have nothing against Eli wanting to play for his childhood club and therefore MH letting him do so.

I also like how the club has a talent at recruiting good young players and giving them a go.

I just think there needs to more of a balance of young players going places with some consistent solid A League Senior Players if we are to compete for the League.

The history of the A League and NSL have both shown this is the winning formula in Australian Domestic Soccer.

All I care about is Heart winning games, not warm fuzzy feelings about former Heart players playing in the EPL or at the WC:

Plain and Simple - Melbourne Heart winning games.

this +1

I think all of us expected Babalj to leave eventually, but it would've been an easier pill to swallow if he had left at the end of next season for a couple of reasons. Firstly, babalj's career at heart has been interrupted with injury and we as fans have been waiting to see him play a full season and tear the league up. Secondly, at the end of last season, i always thought that the 2012/13 season was the one we had the most potential to win the league IF we recruited wisely, because the squad definitely had the potential. Now that babalj is gone it just makes things a whole lot more difficult.

Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

All talented young players in the A-League, at every club, get sold. Mitch Langerak, Mustafa Amini, Robbie Kruse, Tommy Oar, Nikita Rukavytsya and many more have been sold, and many players were only around for a season or two.

Selling Babalj to Red Star is in many ways a success for Heart, with half a million being made for a player who was likely to leave next season for free. The question is now if we can get a good striker to replace him. That replacement could possibly play for two or three seasons or perhaps longer, so it could be a long term success as well.

I'm sure they knew they'd sell him for a while, so they should be able to find a sturdy replacement. Only if they don't will complaints be warranted.

• Like 2

Even though it's disappointing to see him leave, a comment like that is very important. If the club keeps bringing through young talented players every season and they take the chance to go to bigger and better things in Europe, we should get to a stage in the future where ex-heart young guns will be finishing their football career overseas and coming back to the club as developed players.

hopefully he has a club to come back to in 10 years. <_<

Wow, so Eli wants to go and MHFC doesn't stand in his way. Sounds fair. Our club gets recognition for developing youth unlike Perth Gory who let him slip through their fingers. This is pretty massive news and you can bet that just like Mate chose to leave MV to come to us we'll have a lot of talented Aussie youth wanting to come to MHFC. Let's be patient. I'm renewing my membership no matter wot unlike the brainless Parrot :rolleyes:

I like a settled environment and so can relate to all those upset at the number of departures from the playing/coaching setup.

However, we still have the majority of our 1st eleven from last year and hopefully quality signings will be made soon and settle everything down.

Don't forget in our first season we signed a competitive squad from nothing and it had some class and experience (JA, Skoko, Sibon, Bolton, Thompson, Colosimo, Beauchamp, Sarkies, Terra etc.).

Will miss Eli and hope his move goes well.