Melbourne Football

A-League / FFA Administration

It does seem weird that Gallop out of the blue and half way through the season announced his resignation "effective immediately" on the same day the North Melbourne CEO was sacked. When you make the Buckley NM connection the pieces do fit.

If this does happen, I am not sure it will be a good thing. May very well look back on the Buckley era as golden years by comparison.

TBH I reckon Gallop would be just as bad, in fact more than likely worse.

And I agree with u Telsa that I doubt that there really is a expeirenced enough candidate with good contacts who is also from a football background in Australia.

• 2 months later...

The FFA have announced Buckley will serve until the negotiations over a new broadcast rights deal have been finalised

So we leave the most crucial task in Australian football to a lame duck. The A-League's future depends on that deal, if it isnt a significant improvment investors will pull out immediately from several clubs and the league would fold within weeks of the announcement. That isn't an exaggeration, its well documented at this stage that most the club owners are just hanging on till the new TV deal because they expect it to secure the league's future. And we leave a guy who was deemed incompetent to continue his job, who now has a lot less reason to care about doing a good job, in charge of it.

• Like 2

So we leave the most crucial task in Australian football to a lame duck. The A-League's future depends on that deal, if it isnt a significant improvment investors will pull out immediately from several clubs and the league would fold within weeks of the announcement. That isn't an exaggeration, its well documented at this stage that most the club owners are just hanging on till the new TV deal because they expect it to secure the league's future. And we leave a guy who was deemed incompetent to continue his job, who now has a lot less reason to care about doing a good job, in charge of it.

Well said, Pal.

It really worries me that the figure being touted is 'close to $40m' per season. The AFL receive $250m p/a and the NRL $200m+ p/a

7 years ago Fox paid $18m p/a for 88 HAL games per season (21 rounds of 4 games + finals) + Socceroos games (who were still in OFC and hadn't qualified for the 2006 WC)

Now there are 139 HAL games per season (27 rounds of 5 games + finals) and more International games against stronger opposition from Europe and Asia.

Now factor in there are 3 parties fighting for the rights (10, SBS, Fox).

A figure of 'close to $40m' really seams like fuck all when inflation, taxes, rise in expenses, increased staf/player wages, expansion, international football, Hatamato costs, FFA tea party catering and Ben Buckleys 6 years of tans are factored in.

Edited by LR9

I think everyone should note that gallop took over the arl/nrl straight after the super league debacle.. Where rugby was at the crossroads, and built it into the billion dollar industry it is as of today..

There really isnt anyone in this country with his status atm, would of been good to get a football minded person behind the administration position, but from a business point of view, its a great acquisition for football, he knows the right people and knows how to handle scandals (whoever follows league knows theres a scandal every month or couple of months) but most inportantly the knowledge of producing a product which can be sold to the public..

• Like 1

I think everyone should note that gallop took over the arl/nrl straight after the super league debacle.. Where rugby was at the crossroads, and built it into the billion dollar industry it is as of today..

There really isnt anyone in this country with his status atm, would of been good to get a football minded person behind the administration position, but from a business point of view, its a great acquisition for football, he knows the right people and knows how to handle scandals (whoever follows league knows theres a scandal every month or couple of months) but most inportantly the knowledge of producing a product which can be sold to the public..

Knows how to handle a scandal?

I support Manly, but even I think that Gallop's handling of the Storm Scandal was as fucken unprofessional as u could possibly get and something that u would never see even from the idiots that run the AFL.

(I assume you are referring to the "terrorists" comments?)

I was actually at the game they were booing him (in the away bay of course) and we all said the same thing. "What the hell are you booing him for you pack of idiots?! Maybe you should be booing the administration of your club instead of the NRL"

I agree that does not excuse the delivery of his comments but I agree with what he was actually trying to say. Hiding behind passion to excuse stupid behavior is lame. Kind of sounds like Victories "we abused a child until he was in tears because was wearing a heart scarf in our bay and we are passionate!"

(I assume you are referring to the "terrorists" comments?)

I was actually at the game they were booing him (in the away bay of course) and we all said the same thing. "What the hell are you booing him for you pack of idiots?! Maybe you should be booing the administration of your club instead of the NRL"

I agree that does not excuse the delivery of his comments but I agree with what he was actually trying to say. Hiding behind passion to excuse stupid behavior is lame. Kind of sounds like Victories "we abused a child until he was in tears because was wearing a heart scarf in our bay and we are passionate!"

I agree that Storm supporters should be mainly angry at their club, but Gallop even before the Salary Cap never really gave the club the respect they deserve.

They club have really done what was thought impossible for decades and brought Australia’s second biggest city in the League world, the best example of this is how much ppl in NSW hate the Storm.

It is amazing that many actually hate the Storm even more than Manly (Even before the Salary Cap stuff they did as well) – This is a serious fucken achievement and has been nothing but great for the game.

Edited by cadete

I agree that Storm supporters should be mainly angry at their club, but Gallop even before the Salary Cap never really gave the club the respect they deserve.

They club have really done what was thought impossible for decades and brought Australia’s second biggest city in the League world, the best example of this is how much ppl in NSW hate the Storm.

It is amazing that many actually hate the Storm even more than Manly (Even before the Salary Cap stuff they did as well) – This is a serious fucken achievement and has been nothing but great for the game.

In terms of any comments/attitude Gallop had before the breach, I cant really comment on because I cant thank of any examples off the top of my head (although admittedly I dont follow things all that closely). I was (perhaps incorrectly) under the impression that the NRL actually liked having a successful club in Melbourne as a kind of "up yours" to the AFL despite all their efforts to bury the game in Vic.

You are not wrong about people from NSW hating the Storm. Every time I go back to visit that wasteland known as Newcastle I do it in the knowledge that I will be required to defend the Storm and (usually unsuccessfully) defuse the myth that Victorians are undeserving of a club, that they are uneducated in anything to do with Rugby League and that they actually get preferential treatment from the NRL.

I absolutely agree that the Storm is an unbelievable achievement and is a monument to Victorians love of sport and willingness to support their local clubs.

Surely can't be worse than Buckley?

Surely can't be?

Surely...

Well thats hard to say. He is not particularly popular within NRL circles (not just in Vic) but there a number of people who feel that he did the best he could and that its more the NRL board of directors holding the game back.

Under his administration he has only yesterday landed the NRL a bigger TV deal than the AFL, so take from that what you will.

* also according to some the booing of Gallop that day apparently had a lot to do with channel 9's lack of coverage of the NRL. Remind me who was the CEO of Channel 9 again? Eddie who? Isnt he one of the biggest sporting xenophobes in the country? What?! As soon as he has gone and 9 start playing live NRL? Hmmmmm :ph34r:

It would be interesting to know (although we never will) how many candidates were actually considered by FFA and who they were. The issue I have with recycling people such as Buckley and Gallop into FFA is that they come with a mindset that has embedded in it that football, and particularly the A-League, ranks a lot lower than AFL and NRL in the pecking order. I think that this makes it a lot harder for them to think outside the box when it comes to building a sustainable domestic competition, because they never question their embedded beliefs.

Edited by jw1739

It would be interesting to know (although we never will) how many candidates were actually considered by FFA and who they were. The issue I have with recycling people such as Buckley and Gallop into FFA is that they come with a mindset that has embedded in it that football, and particularly the A-League, ranks a lot lower than AFL and NRL in the pecking order. I think that this makes it a lot harder for them to think outside the box when it comes to building a sustainable domestic competition, because they never question their embedded beliefs.

Very good point

On the flipside however they come with an in depth understanding of the competition (AFL, NRL etc.), where they have been involved first hand with making those competitions as succesful as they are. That experience with the wider Australian sporting environment, not just the already keen on soccer contingent, could prove very valuable for soccer's growth in this country from a lesser supported sport to joining them as one of the giants. After all, many of the supporters the A-League is trying to capture will be the very same ones the AFL and NRL have tried to capture in the past.

I'm also quite sure that these men aren't so biased against soccer that they see it as a minnow, but rather a mainstream sport waiting to happen.

On the flipside however they come with an in depth understanding of the competition (AFL, NRL etc.), where they have been involved first hand with making those competitions as succesful as they are.

Buckley was a former VFL/AFL player and the AFL's broadcasting administrator. Fat lot of good that did us tbh.

It frustrates me whenever threads like this are started and every few posts u get those who tried to turn the conversation about Soccer competing with AFL or even NRL.

IMO it’s the wrong attitude, Soccer at the Professional Level in Australia does not need to do this as the Seasons do not compete with each other. Even the EPL which let’s face it is the way these days many get into before watching the domestic game, plays the bulk of its Season when the AFL and NRL players are overseas getting drunk.

Cricket and AFL/NRL have worked as a great tag team in Australian Sports for years.

I therefore see no reason why Soccer as a sport played in the Australian Summer both here and in Europe can not try to do the same.

The simple fact is that Cricket is more of enemy than the AFL - Nobody misses an A League game to watch or play AFL.

Focusing on competing with a institution such as the AFL in Melb, Adel or Perth IMO is just a waste of time and resources.

Edited by cadete

That's a fairly narrow view of things. Whether the seasons actually overlap is not the main issue. There's certainly competition between the codes and between sports when it comes to media coverage and in the things that depend on money such as facilities and sponsorship. And for the hearts and minds of the people.

However, I agree that focussing on direct competition with the AFL in Melbourne etc. is a complete waste of time and resources. Therefore we need to think outside the box much more than we appear to have done in the past.

Hence the question of whether Gallop is the right man for the job... One of my feelings about FFA is that it is a smug organization that is convinced that its own opinions are the correct ones. In such situations it is best to bring in someone who is going to ask that most important of questions about every aspect of the business - 'why?' I'm not convinced that Gallop is the right person to ask that question.

My point was meant to be more along the lines of:

Through their work with the AFL and NRL, both codes that have been vry succesful at growing from the ground up, involving youth, big corwd numbers, a diverse crowd etc, hey have experience first hand in doing this in an Australian environment. I'm not saying their understanding of other sports will allow them to compete with them better, but rather draw on that experience to do the same for the A-League.

• 3 weeks later...

Not bad at all ... nice look and feel, and good message. Hope they advertise on FTA TV

http://www.footballa...-2012/13-/49102

Not a huge fan of it TBH. The music is a little bit dull, the sounds of the ball being kicked were way too loud and sounded like one of hose old soccer games from the 80s when every time someone touches the ball it goes "boof" and they used the same "cheering" sample each time so it was just really sounded repetitive.

I would rather see them leave the actual sound of the action in (including commentary) over a better song. Maybe this instead...

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

HAL seriously needs to spam some FTA prime time slots, either 3 separate 15 second adds, one for each of Heskey, Ballack and Ale, or a 30 second grab with all 3.

Maybe something less gay than what the MLS did with Beckham:

Edit: Something in this style could potentially appeal to the masses.

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Why on earth did we replace AFL Buckley with NRL Gallop?

How can an club 'control' people who buy a ticket to a football match? I would say that is administratively impossible.

And to punish a club when some joker rocks up at the gate one day and is subsequently deemed an 'unruly idiot' (precise definition please) is just grossly unfair.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1