Melbourne Football

MH pathway for young talented footballers

Torn Asunder

At the recent fan forum SM said that the club was working towards developing a pathway for talented young footballers, from the junior ranks, right through to the A-League.

Obviously at this stage the club does not have the finances for a youth academy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an interim solution that would allow the club to assist and facilitate the development of young players, and still tie them to the club?

My thoughts; run a yearly MH trial for juniors, with the best one or two players getting a contract and sponsorship by the club (funded by sponsors), and then these players would sent to a renowned football academy (see link for example).

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4025/features/2012/05/29/3133544/analysis-following-the-footsteps-of-aimar-and-saviola-australian-

The club could keep track of these players and provide updates on its website, and hopefully one or two would transition to the Youth League and ultimately the A-league, or they could be onsold based on the sponsorship contract.

My thoughts; run a yearly MH trial for juniors, with the best one or two players getting a contract and sponsorship by the club (funded by sponsors), and then these players would sent to a renowned football academy.

ill try out for it :P

see this link:

http://www.sedagroup.com.au/Programs/66/Overview.html

im not sure if it has the transition from Seda to Melbourne Heart but is like a pathway sort of thing.

I really dont understand why we cant have junior teams all he way down to u8s or whatever the lowest is. The excuse given is always financial reasons, but if all these random local teams can afford it, then MHFC should be able to considering the higher reputation our club has, the juniors would be able to get better sponsorships and what not compared to these local clubs.

The club is probably busy focusing on other matters at the moment, but it would be something to look at as soon as they can.

• Like 3

I agree.

We should be taking advantage of those parents who are prepared to splash the cash of their kids football like Green Gully has done so successfully in recent years.

You can also say the same about South and Dandy (How there are prob a few cultural reasons in their strong junior setups as well.

Parents want their kids playing this game:

We could really make use of this opportunity on a variety of levels such as financial, for future supporters and of course for our stars of the future.

Edited by cadete

It would probably only cost $500 per team from U8s to U12 per season. Probably double or triple each year grade after that.

I reckon my baseball team rego was only $50 for juniors, that paid for uniforms some equipment, and it all lasted a few years. Football shorts and jerseys a few balls could easily be funded for $500.

I'm sure it would be a better investment than Maycon as well.

• Like 1

I really dont understand why we cant have junior teams all he way down to u8s or whatever the lowest is. The excuse given is always financial reasons, but if all these random local teams can afford it, then MHFC should be able to considering the higher reputation our club has, the juniors would be able to get better sponsorships and what not compared to these local clubs.

The club is probably busy focusing on other matters at the moment, but it would be something to look at as soon as they can.

Don't give them anything else to think about at this stage. 2012 has not actually been that good so far...

It would probably only cost $500 per team from U8s to U12 per season. Probably double or triple each year grade after that.

I reckon my baseball team rego was only $50 for juniors, that paid for uniforms some equipment, and it all lasted a few years. Football shorts and jerseys a few balls could easily be funded for $500.

I'm sure it would be a better investment than Maycon as well.

my parents are playing $550 for my rego + playing shorts + playing socks + boots + monthly things like raffle tickets and club nights.

even if players have to supply their own ball and fork out more money for the shirt, socks, and the like.

Not sure the pathway is something MH should sort on there own.

I've been trying to find a path for my kids and there is not a lot out there.

There is the FFV champions league/SAP programs , if you can get a look in there...

The pirahnas are probably the only decent academy out there at a cost of $2800 per year and that doesn't guarantee you are training with good kids, just ones with money..

But they are setup for training 6 days a week..

I'm not convinced about Dandy either - not sure its the culture i would want kids learning with (from my few experiences down there)..

If MH were to start an academy, for all levels - It probably would be latrobe based, which limits access to many kids.

To do it properly they would need multiple feeder bases..(North/South/East/West). like AFS (http://footballskool.com.au/ ) - but they only operate in the summer

• 3 weeks later...

There are a multitude of clubs out there, but finding a good one is a nightmare ( i'm still looking for my 8 year old (currently playing under 11's)).

I don't think parents would mind paying $500 a season for their child (currently paying $400 for 18 games and 1 training sesson a week), as long as they are getting good training and enjoying it.

Dont think having it at latrobe will be an issue either, as the current leauge setups have you travelling half way around melbourne anyway.

• 2 months later...

Newcastle leading the way...

http://theworldgame....ellence-program

iirc the Mariners have had a similar thing for quite some time.

Exactly, in fact neither CCM or Newy are leading the way, its part of greater plan for FFA to restructure local football which includes as one of many the changes:A League sides have their own local Youth sides.

In fact league restructure has already started to begin over in the WA State System, Newcastle United and CCM are most likely one of the first to both ahead with their participation because of having a smaller local football network in their region to most of the sides in capital cities.

If you want to hear more about it u can find a lot of discussion on it on both those Australian Soccer Forums out there that actually feature Posters who are involved at the State League level.

At the recent fan forum SM said that the club was working towards developing a pathway for talented young footballers, from the junior ranks, right through to the A-League.

Obviously at this stage the club does not have the finances for a youth academy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an interim solution that would allow the club to assist and facilitate the development of young players, and still tie them to the club?

My thoughts; run a yearly MH trial for juniors, with the best one or two players getting a contract and sponsorship by the club (funded by sponsors), and then these players would sent to a renowned football academy (see link for example).

http://www.goal.com/...ola-australian-

The club could keep track of these players and provide updates on its website, and hopefully one or two would transition to the Youth League and ultimately the A-league, or they could be onsold based on the sponsorship contract.

I think this would be a good start, or just action to take. Like they do in South America,, my Argentinian house mate says River plate ect have these and thousands of kids turn up and you either make it or get cut week after week until it is down to the final couple dozen ect. Could do this, then make a team out of them obviously or just input them into a new academy. I also think the Cost factor sounds like a wank, as mentioned playing for any club costs money why not pay a small fee if invited and can afford it for Heart training/academy. Also if you find 1-2 players to make first team a year it would be a good 50K invested imo.

Anyway seems that the FFA is on top of a better youth system, as a point to create better junior level National teams and a breeding program. The fact that we didnt qualify for the Olympics is a joke enough for me

Go for it dude, you should contact Scott Munn and ask him and the club to grant you a scholarship (that is of course if you are any good!)

:) im trying to do work experience there early next year so ill bring it up then if im able to.

as for if im any good.... well... everyone can improve on something! ;) ahahhaha jokessss..