Melbourne Football

Connor Metcalfe

Shahanga

20 minutes ago, moops said:

Yeah and I think the referee's, but I could be wrong about that.

Alex Tobin Award - The Professional Footballers Association award for the player who demonstrates leadership, achievement, commitment and service to his fellow players and the game has been the Alex Tobin Medal since 2008.

19 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Delighted for him, but a bit rough on Florin, who surely was odds on until he got crocked.

Congrats Connor!

What I understand this award isn’t necessarily about being MOTM on the day. Considering it’s only refs and players voting. There’s more taken into account.

We have another award going as well I thought. Warren award, wasn’t Florin leading there?

Edited by Mr MO

59 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Alex Tobin Award - The Professional Footballers Association award for the player who demonstrates leadership, achievement, commitment and service to his fellow players and the game has been the Alex Tobin Medal since 2008.

Congrats Connor!

What I understand this award isn’t necessarily about being MOTM on the day. Considering it’s only refs and players voting. There’s more taken into account.

We have another award going as well I thought. Warren award, wasn’t Florin leading there?

I suspect I may be getting lost between my Tobin's and Warren's.

3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

tobin medal is 3-2-1 votes handed out by mongas in the media, no fucken idea how caceras is anywhere near it

I stand to be corrected but it seems the media votes through the Warren Dolan awards and not the Alex Tobin awards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Warren_Medal

Alex Tobin is believed to be voted through the Players but I can’t find any substantiation on who exactly votes here. Just that involves 4 areas of the game, perhaps that’s why Caceras was up there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Footballer_of_the_Year_Awards

The Alex Tobin OAM Medal is selected by the PFA Executive to a current or former player who demonstrates four outstanding attributes: leadership, achievement as a player, commitment to one's fellow professionals, and service and dedication to the game.[1] The medal is named after the PFA's longest-serving president, Alex Tobin.[2]

Edited by Mr MO

40 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I stand to be corrected but it seems the media votes through the Warren Dolan awards and not the Alex Tobin awards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Warren_Medal

Alex Tobin is believed to be voted through the Players but I can’t find any substantiation on who exactly votes here. Just that involves 4 areas of the game, perhaps that’s why Caceras was up there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Footballer_of_the_Year_Awards

The Alex Tobin OAM Medal is selected by the PFA Executive to a current or former player who demonstrates four outstanding attributes: leadership, achievement as a player, commitment to one's fellow professionals, and service and dedication to the game.[1] The medal is named after the PFA's longest-serving president, Alex Tobin.[2]

I am totally confused over this. Certainly, at the time of Mark Viduka it was awarded by the PFA. I don't know how it's awarded this current season, but only two seasons ago it was awarded via FoxSports, at least according to this:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-2020-alessandro-diamanti-wins-alex-tobin-award-news-western-united/news-story/7e9c0b3ee6a525d6b46017f483a0a173

So far I have failed to find any definitive statement anywhere.

Dare I say it, but fairly typical of what I've come to expect from our football administrators...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I am totally confused over this. Certainly, at the time of Mark Viduka it was awarded by the PFA. I don't know how it's awarded this current season, but only two seasons ago it was awarded via FoxSports, at least according to this:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-2020-alessandro-diamanti-wins-alex-tobin-award-news-western-united/news-story/7e9c0b3ee6a525d6b46017f483a0a173

So far I have failed to find any definitive statement anywhere.

Dare I say it, but fairly typical of what I've come to expect from our football administrators...

Yes I agree it’s not clear at the moment. Who won the Johnny Warren medal in the year Diamanti won the Alex Tobin?

Perhaps it all got changed when FoxSports moved away from the football rights.

• Like 1

I'm even more confused - if that's possible.

https://footballwhispers.com/au/blog/all-johnny-warren-medal-winners/#:~:text=For those of you who,League – established back in 2005.

Johnny Warren Medal Winners:
2016/17: Milos Ninkovic
2017/18: Adrian Mierzejewski
2018/19: Roy Krishna
2019/20: Alessandro Diamanti
2020-21: Milos Ninkovic & Ulises Davila

According to https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-2020-alessandro-diamanti-wins-alex-tobin-award-news-western-united/news-story/7e9c0b3ee6a525d6b46017f483a0a173 Diamanti also won the Alex Tobin Award in 2019/2020.

I think that there is confusion between the Alex Tobin OAM Medal, which is, or was, awarded by the PFA/PFA Executive (in 2018 it was awarded to Paul Okon - just as an example), and the Alex Tobin Medal (or Award) which appears to be awarded by this 3-2-1 voting system for each round of the A-League regular season.

There a list of the former here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Footballer_of_the_Year_Awards#Alex_Tobin_OAM_Medal

and for the latter you have to Google and I haven't done that yet.

It shouldn't be so hard...

24 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I got the distinct impression that Metcalfe had won the 3-2-1 version. Had won it over Caceres (equal points) on countback having been man of the match three times, presumably compared to Caceres two or one. So effectively the commentators award.

Yes, I think that you are correct. AFAIK the PFA award, if it still exists, is announced at a function held in June each year, and would not be announced in a pre-match commentary and nowhere else so far as I can see. Perhaps the PFA awards night has been temporarily suspended due to COVID? However, why on earth there should be two awards named after Tobin is beyond me. Or even why there is a Warren award and a Tobin award.

If only the administration of football in Australia could be sorted out the better it would be...

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, I think that you are correct. AFAIK the PFA award, if it still exists, is announced at a function held in June each year, and would not be announced in a pre-match commentary and nowhere else so far as I can see. Perhaps the PFA awards night has been temporarily suspended due to COVID? However, why on earth there should be two awards named after Tobin is beyond me. Or even why there is a Warren award and a Tobin award.

If only the administration of football in Australia could be sorted out the better it would be...

And who votes for the Warren award? I thought the Warren award was the big one for the individual player.

8 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

tobin medal is 3-2-1 votes handed out by mongas in the media, no fucken idea how caceras is anywhere near it

How this guy can even be in contention is a complete mystery. For some reason there was some real love for him from the commentators this season. Maybe it's their way for trying to make Sydney FC still relevant.

Just think about it. Giving a supposed 'creative' midfielder an award for a shit team that created virtually nothing all year just doesn't make sense to me.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

When you look further there are just so many awards - e.g. the PFA's Player of the Year etc. etc. that it's all becoming a bit ho-hum.

Yes that’s a proper weighted voting panel for the JW medal.

So the Alex Tobin medal is the purely at match day 3-2-1 and it’s up to the likes of Harper, Archie, Georgegeski and the guy with neck tattoo to give votes? 

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is now official and clearly it's a media award. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/connor-metcalfe-takes-out-2021-22-alex-tobin-medal

I've enquired of the PFA if this award is one and the same as the Alex Tobin OAM Medal and await their response.

For those interested, this is the reply from the PFA.

"They are different awards and unrelated to each other (except for the fact they are both named after a legend of our game).

The A-League Men award (just awarded to Connor Metcalfe) is voted on by the broadcast commentators for on field performances.

The PFA Award is more of a lifetime achievement award and based on a combination of the following factors: leadership, achievement as a player, commitment to one's fellow professionals and service and dedication to the game."

So there we have it "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

For those interested, this is the reply from the PFA.

"They are different awards and unrelated to each other (except for the fact they are both named after a legend of our game).

The A-League Men award (just awarded to Connor Metcalfe) is voted on by the broadcast commentators for on field performances.

The PFA Award is more of a lifetime achievement award and based on a combination of the following factors: leadership, achievement as a player, commitment to one's fellow professionals and service and dedication to the game."

So there we have it "from the horse's mouth" so to speak.

Thanks for chasing this and clearing this up. Of course just like with many things within our Australian game, it makes total sense to use the same award name for different archievements within the same season.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Thanks for chasing this and clearing this up. Of course just like with many things within our Australian game, it makes total sense to use the same award name for different achievements within the same season.

Indeed so. In fact I don't think I've ever come across the same thing before. I'm surprised that the PFA hasn't stepped in and challenged the naming of the other award.