Melbourne Football

Connor Metcalfe

Shahanga

How this man didn't win "Young Player of the Year" has me absolutely baffled. Starting on the field in the team of the season and called up by the Socceroo's. Subsequent winner not even in the Olyroo's squad. It's supposed to be for the best player under 23 or am I not understanding the award eligibility correctly? 

Might as well rename the Dolan Warren awards to the Sydney FC Awards.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, R410 said:

How this man didn't win "Young Player of the Year" has me absolutely baffled. Starting on the field in the team of the season and called up by the Socceroo's. Subsequent winner not even in the Olyroo's squad. It's supposed to be for the best player under 23 or am I not understanding the award eligibility correctly? 

Might as well rename the Dolan Warren awards to the Sydney FC Awards.

Didn't realise the circus was in town - hilarious stuff.

Given King didn't even make the bench in the PFA's Team of the Year and Metcalfe was a starter, makes it even funnier. In addition, Redmayne didn't make that team and Ninkovic could only make the bench - yet those two somehow managed to win(share) Keeper of the Year and Player of the Year.

• Like 4

The way the young footballer award works is that every month or so (not sure of the exact time period) a player is nominated as the best young player that month. At the end of the season that leaves you with about 5 young blokes to choose the winner from. A bit like how the AFL can only have a rising star from the players that were nominated each round. Atkinson was our only young guy to get nominated.

The system generally rewards players who have one really good month over a prolonged very good season like Connor. If it was every player under 23 you'd imagine Tilio would be another to feature highly. 

• Like 1

Connor Metcalfe is deadset one of the stories of the season. 

We all saw glimpses of his talent and potential last season, but I don't think anyone could have anticipated what he'd achieve this season. 

- 24 appearances for Melbourne City (2nd most, behind Tom Glover)
- 5 goals (3rd most)
- Socceroos call-up
- Socceroos debut
- PFA Team of the Year

And will surely be named in the Olyroos squad for Tokyo.

Absolutely shattered all expectations of him this season. I hope he stays at least another season before his inevitable departure overseas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

The way the young footballer award works is that every month or so (not sure of the exact time period) a player is nominated as the best young player that month. At the end of the season that leaves you with about 5 young blokes to choose the winner from. A bit like how the AFL can only have a rising star from the players that were nominated each round. Atkinson was our only young guy to get nominated.

The system generally rewards players who have one really good month over a prolonged very good season like Connor. If it was every player under 23 you'd imagine Tilio would be another to feature highly. 

Yes, it doesn't necessarily reward the overall best player throughout the whole season.

It's the 2nd year in a row that the Young Footballer of The Year has been fucked up. 

Libby Cacace was the clear winner last season, Metcalfe the same this season. Neither got nominated for reasons completely unknown. 

Sydney fans are hilarious "King got it as he is the only nominee in a GF team"... We literally have a bloke who isn't playing cause he went to play for Australia, it's a joke

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rass said:

Didn't realise the circus was in town - hilarious stuff.

Given King didn't even make the bench in the PFA's Team of the Year and Metcalfe was a starter, makes it even funnier. In addition, Redmayne didn't make that team and Ninkovic could only make the bench - yet those two somehow managed to win(share) Keeper of the Year and Player of the Year.

TBF, Redmayne did keep the most clean sheets.  that has been used in the past.  what amazes me is that he has been left off all together

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2 goals in two games- good start. I think the Metcalfe / Leckie left flank arrangement will reap goals this season.  It also seems like Tilio and Metcalfe work well together also so more joy after an interchange also. 

If i remember correctly Metcalfe was Player of the Season from this forum last year - someone should award it to him. 

• 2 months later...

Congrats to Connor, he thoroughly deserves it. 

I just worry how much his and Atkinson's departures (in addition to probably Tilio, maybe Good) is going to affect us mid-long term. I worry the destabilisation will really hurt us, which is a shame since I was hopeful of a bit of a dynasty with these guys. 

But ultimately, I get it. Life's too short to hold off and wonder what if.

10 minutes ago, Nate said:

Congrats to Connor, he thoroughly deserves it. 

I just worry how much his and Atkinson's departures (in addition to probably Tilio, maybe Good) is going to affect us mid-long term. I worry the destabilisation will really hurt us, which is a shame since I was hopeful of a bit of a dynasty with these guys. 

But ultimately, I get it. Life's too short to hold off and wonder what if.

With Cola seemingly likely to go as well, it seems like we're losing a lot of the heart and soul of the club. I get it, I know it's a mark of success and I don't begrudge them, but for a club like ours, this is so much of what our culture is. Football is your colours, your history, your mates and your heroes on the pitch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...