Melbourne Football

Connor Metcalfe

Shahanga

Has a bit of Aaron Ramsey about him, gets about over the park, knows where the goals are, technically good are and doesn't mind getting stuck in. Most importantly he seems pretty grounded, a lot of young blokes get a few games in the A-League and think they've made it and then fade into obscurity.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

According to Davutovic, the Top 5 Emerging Players in the A league. Metcalfe in at a Solid #2. 

1 AL HASSAN TOURE (ADELAIDE UNITED)

9 (2), Age: 19

Coupled with his FFA Cup feats, clearly the breakout star of the season.

Al Hassan Toure has been brilliant for Adelaide. Picture: Sarah ReedAl Hassan Toure has been brilliant for Adelaide. Picture: Sarah Reed

2 CONNOR METCALFE (MELBOURNE CITY)

8 (2), Age: 20

Metcalfe’s goals, aggression, dynamism have been a welcome addition to City’s XI.

3 LOUIS D’ARRIGO (ADELAIDE UNITED)

10, Age: 18

Replaced the massive shoes of Isaias and done it with aplomb.

4 CAMERON DEVLIN (WELLINGTON PHOENIX)

8, Age: 21

Relished playing after struggling for first-team chances. His in-your-face style has been refreshing.

5 MOHAMED ADAM

7 (1), Age: 19

Wanderers winger has excited in his three starts and four substitute appearances.

MORE FOOTBAL

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Scored a cracker from outside the box for the Olyroos in their 2-1 win against Macarthur. 

I have seen Metcalfe score these type of goals in his NYL time. Fully capable of these types of shots on left and fight foot. Hopefully he scores some like this in city colours. He should definitely shoot more often. Brilliant goal. hopefully the hamstring thing he seemed to have is nothing. We are on a winner with this lad with his growing confidence. 

Rami Looked sharp also. Lets hope he just misses for the jets and gets his eye in when he returnes to city the following season. :) 

19 minutes ago, citymad said:

I have seen Metcalfe score these type of goals in his NYL time. Fully capable of these types of shots on left and fight foot. Hopefully he scores some like this in city colours. He should definitely shoot more often. Brilliant goal. hopefully the hamstring thing he seemed to have is nothing. We are on a winner with this lad with his growing confidence. 

Rami Looked sharp also. Lets hope he just misses for the jets and gets his eye in when he returnes to city the following season. :) 

Au contraire. I hope he he dominates and comes back absolute hot property. Jets will be well, well off the pace next year imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i really rate this kid. I think he will continue to develop and contribute with goals. Team of the week and goal of the week - Again!!

May be an image of text

posted a video to the playlist A-League Goals of the Week 2020/21.
21 h  · 

Connor Metcalfe's strike left the goalkeeper frozen in the Melbourne Derby🚀
#GOTW is some icing on the cake after the 6-0 win 🍰
Edited by citymad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Very Mooy-esque game. Cool, calm on the ball. I don't remember him giving the ball away at all. 

(He turned over a goal kick on the edge of our box at 2-2, they nearly scored)

Has improved massively over the season and I’ve been very critical!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Had a chat with him at the ANZAC AFL day game and pointed out that he should have put the ball in instead of hitting the bar with his shot yesterday so I presume we'll see him get two against the Jets this week. 

Damn, I was hoping that he pointed out he should have squared the ball across to Luna who had an open goal prior to scoring. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, n i k o said:

Can we have just one young player that solidifies his positron at the club rather than run straight overseas moment they show a hint of ability. 

Get out of my head...

Really hope we keep him for another two seasons after this one. I bang this drum repeatedly; keep young Aussies here until they're 23/24 and physically/psychologically ready to take on an overseas move. Get to the point where you're a dominant player week in, week out. He will get there but still has a lot to learn.

Also, not even two pages for this guy. Let's give him the respect he deserves.

• Like 1

On par with Maclaren and Good for our player of the season - and honestly, might well be a smoky to make the A-League team of the season when it's all wrapped up and done.

Blew all expectations out of the water. Hope he stays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

On par with Maclaren and Good for our player of the season - and honestly, might well be a smoky to make the A-League team of the season when it's all wrapped up and done.

Blew all expectations out of the water. Hope he stays.

Socceroo Smokey too

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...