Melbourne Football

A-League attendances

blarros

Here you can discuss A-League attendances.

http://www.leaguefootball.weebly.com

has a lot of average attendances around the world. The A-League

is doing pretty well, but seems to be far behind the main European

leagues. Especially the English leagues are doing amazing, even

the lower leagues. The Brazilian attendances are a bit disappointing

and Iranian fanbases are massive!

wow.

i may sound dumb, but i never knew Borussia Dortmund was above Bayern Munchen.

also good to see Italy drawing some strong crowds.

(lol at Juventus being #10) hahahahahah

Forza Milan

:wub:

Edited by nicotera5
  • Like 1

Also found this interesting:

Uruguay I

1 Peñarol 14,000

2 Defensor Sporting 7,000

3 Nacional 6,000

4 RC Montevideo 4,000

5 Fénix 3,000

6 Rentistas 3,000

7 Danubio 2,000

8 El Tanque Sisley 2,000

9 Cerro Largo 1,000

10 Liverpool de Montevideo 1,000

11 Rampla Juniors 900

12 Cerro 600

13 Montevideo Wanderers 500

14 River Plate de Montevideo 500

15 Bella Vista 400

16 Cerrito 100

Edited by nicotera5

The thing a lot of people in Australia dont realise is that sporting leagues across the world dont draw very big crowds. We have a very strong sporting culture in Australia, which leads to probably one of the largest per capita attendances to sporting events you will find anywhere in the world. The AFL is one of the top few sporting leagues in the world in terms of avergae attendances, and the benchmark that sets leads to us taking for granted A-League attendances. A-League attendances, on a world scale, arent bad.

To be frank only one Soccer League has a better Average attendance than the AFL: And that is the Bundesliga...

And as a City - Melbourne's weekly AFL attendances are unbelievable when u consider the amount of sides based within kilometres of each other.

In fact Argie it even makes the great Rosario's 40,000 look a bit a lame in comparison.

Melbourne's weekly AFL attendances are unbelievable when u consider the amount of sides based within kilometres of each other.

Don't get me wrong, I defiantly agree with what ya saying. But having so many established teams in the one city works both ways in that you get a large amount of teams spliting the support, but at the same time away games are piss easy to go to. I'd say that when two melbourne teams play each other upwards of 33% of the attendance would be away fans.

Actual attendance to an event is a simple business issue, and needs to be treated the same as any business would treat it. All comes down to getting as many customers (fans) as possible.

For example, Germany has such high averages due to the fact that they tend to have larger stadiums then say, the Premier League. This is a simple case of different facilities, and not an accurate representation of popularity or marketing success.

This demonstrates why the AFL also has such high attendances, despite a lowly populated country, and multiple teams in a small area. They can simply fit more people in for a match.

Whilst I'm more than happy to brag about Dortmund's incredible turnouts, which is a result of stadium size, I think that the success of a league should be measured in terms of percentage of seats sold, rather than average crowd size.

If you want to look at the actual popularity of a sport, then you look at participation rates, and tv ratings.

Edited by AyeCee

I know that its not exactly on topic with this thread but its mildly related and fairly interesting...

http://theballisround.co.uk/2010/01/06/the-worst-supported-league-in-europe/

Currently there are 53 countries affiliated to UEFA. These are countries who are allowed to play in tournaments such as the FIFA World Cup and of course the European Championships. But there are only 52 which actually have a league of their own as Liechtenstein do not organise a league, preferring to play in the Swiss leagues. But which one is actually the worst supported? Step forward the Meistriliiga in one of my favourite countries, Estonia.

Yes, with an average attendance in their top league of just 180 people, Estonia can claim to have the worst support league in Europe. Others come close, such as Georgia (average attendance 690), Latvia (448), Lithuania (880) and even San Marino (210) but Estonia take the dubious honour of having less people interested in the game than any other country. Their top league has 10 teams which means on an average Saturday (or Sunday) a grand total of 940 fans will be attending games in the top division. With a population of 1.33 million this means that only 0.07% of the population watch football. To put that in context:-

England (Premier League) – Average attendance is 34,040 – population is 51,446,000 – 0.66% watch games

Germany (Bundesliga) – Average attendance is 42,790 (highest in the world) – population is 82,060,000 – 0.52%

Italy (Seria A) – Average Attendance is 23,890 – population is 60,231 – 0.4%

It is not even as if the weather can be blamed either. Estonia play their football in the warmest months from March to November. Since the split from the Soviet Union in 1991 the league has been dominated by two teams, both from Tallinn – FC Flora and Levadia who have won the title on 14 occasions. The former dominated the league in the early days and won their last title in 2003 and since then Levadia have won every one bar one. Neither of them are the top supported team though, with that honour going to JK Nomme Kalju who also come from the capital city Tallinn.

We have experienced this sleepy football first hand in Estonia when we visited the two main stadiums in the city in one day (see here for the full story) and was genuinely shocked at the lack of interest. FC Flora play in the national stadium, the Le Coq Arena and have an average crowd of 161. Two years ago entry was 30EEK or the equivalant of £1.75 which means gate receipts would be a total of £280 assuming everyone paid, which I doubt. So where exactly does the money come from to pay the rent, the players, the staff? And how much motivation to the players get running out in a stadium that holds 9,000 when there is a single section with a few fans in?

So hats off to Estonia for having officially the crappiest league in Europe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With respect to footballing attendances, I don't think you can accurately say that a high attendances is proportional for passion in that country for that particular sport. Because in most countries bar a hand full, people simply don't have the money or the time (as they are working) to be forking out the cash for the luxury of watching live football. A bit of of an absurd thought if you're born and bred in Australia, I know.

Edited by Damien

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Always an interesting subject...

The numbers for season 2022-23 can be found here https://www.ultimatealeague.com/statistics/attendance/?excludeFinals=false and you can tick the little box at the top if you wish to exclude finals matches.

The range from top to bottom is pretty much what you see for League 2 in England. Other comments include that the expansion clubs Macarthur and Western don't seem to be really helping the league grow, and the fall from grace of Victory is very evident.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Always an interesting subject...

The numbers for season 2022-23 can be found here https://www.ultimatealeague.com/statistics/attendance/?excludeFinals=false and you can tick the little box at the top if you wish to exclude finals matches.

The range from top to bottom is pretty much what you see for League 2 in England. Other comments include that the expansion clubs Macarthur and Western don't seem to be really helping the league grow, and the fall from grace of Victory is very evident.

Adelaide are doing quite well actually given that Adelaide itself barely has 1M people. Defnitely bad for WU and Mac.

• 3 weeks later...