Melbourne Football

How do we get people to come to games?

citypool

On 10/12/2019 at 11:57 PM, citypool said:

Like to see us play manchester city or New York City In the office season at aami Park 

We all would but most of the big teams do tours in the US or China. If we get lucky we could see City hold a friendly against us like they did years ago but I’m not sure they will come all the way down to cold Melbourne. 

30 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

A-league quality is low level and novelty wore off. There's better football to watch. Be happy with having more crowd than WU. 

Better football to watch at 2:00 am in the morning maybe but other leagues function we probably just need smaller stadiums as everyone is saying and be happy with crowds of 10k 

In fact the A-League crowds are quite good. Go look at the actual crowds in other countries - apart from the big clubs and big games they are often very small indeed. As everyone says, they look so bloody awful because we play in large stadiums. And that is self-inflicted by FFA - insisting on stadiums having all sorts of facilities that actually are not necessary. 

On the matter of CFG clubs playing each other, I've heard all the "reasons" why it doesn't happen, but in reality they are only excuses. We are owned by CFG - whether we like it or not that's a fact - and IMO we're not taking advantage of that where we have a clear opportunity to do so - the two main areas of irritation (to me) being low-grade foreign imports and absence of inter-club matches. IMO in both areas we are missing a golden opportunity to garner relevance, interest and support.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

In fact the A-League crowds are quite good. Go look at the actual crowds in other countries - apart from the big clubs and big games they are often very small indeed. As everyone says, they look so bloody awful because we play in large stadiums. And that is self-inflicted by FFA - insisting on stadiums having all sorts of facilities that actually are not necessary. 

On the matter of CFG clubs playing each other, I've heard all the "reasons" why it doesn't happen, but in reality they are only excuses. We are owned by CFG - whether we like it or not that's a fact - and IMO we're not taking advantage of that where we have a clear opportunity to do so - the two main areas of irritation (to me) being low-grade foreign imports and absence of inter-club matches. IMO in both areas we are missing a golden opportunity to garner relevance, interest and support.

Actually I agree. 

Pretending that we are not connected to Manchester City hasn't  worked. We should try the complete opposite. Why not associate ourselves with one of the best football teams on the planet (recent results not withstanding).

FWIW I follow Spurs, but the approach so far has failed, why not become a mini Manchester or as someone wiser than said "Melchester".

Edited by Jovan
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Actually I agree. 

Pretending that we are not connected to Manchester City hasn't  worked. We should try the complete opposite. Why not associate ourselves with one of the best football teams on the planet (recent results not withstanding).

FWIW I follow Spurs, but the approach so far has failed, why not become a mini Manchester or as someone wiser than said "Melchester".

But we are already a mini Manchester? What’s has changed? Bruno only just confirmed it, the shots are called in Europe.

No more Manchester ads in the break but a full sky blue kit. One game in red and back in the basement with the kit, they think nobody turned up for the game so it’s not what the fans want.

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

But we are already a mini Manchester? What’s has changed? Bruno only just confirmed it, the shots are called in Europe.

No more Manchester ads in the break but a full sky blue kit. One game in red and back in the basement with the kit, they think nobody turned up for the game so it’s not what the fans want.

IMO you're missing the point. We've got all the downsides of being a mini-Manchester and none of the upsides. CFG isn't going away, so why not use the advantages? At the moment we're being shafted both ways.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO you're missing the point. We've got all the downsides of being a mini-Manchester and none of the upsides. CFG isn't going away, so why not use the advantages? At the moment we're being shafted both ways.

What benefits would you like to see?

We are using all the advantages but just aren’t willing to fork out the money for league and team defining players.

Edited by Mr MO

52 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What benefits would you like to see?

We are using all the advantages but just aren’t willing to fork out the money for league and team defining players.

If we don't recruit better than other A-League clubs then I can't see that the "advantages" (whatever they are) are any use. 

16 hours ago, Jovan said:

Actually I agree. 

My 2 contributions to this forum:

1. Melchester

2. Discovering the unit of time known as a Germano.

Some pre season fixtures vs CFG powerhouse clubs would indeed be a positive but please don’t encourage them in their ridiculous idea to show CFG highlights on match days. Can’t imagine anything worse. 

Edited by Shahanga

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

My 2 contributions to this forum:

1. Melchester

2. Discovering the unit of time known as a Germano.

Some pre season fixtures vs CFG powerhouse clubs would indeed be a positive but please don’t encourage them in their ridiculous idea to show CFG highlights on match days. Can’t imagine anything worse. 

My understanding is that the format of what is shown on the big screen on matchdays, and other aspects such as what happens on the field (I've never understood why those poor sods in the middle have to wave that giant A-League logo thing up and down - WTF is that all about?) are determined, or at least approved, by FFA. It gives me the total irrits that there's almost no club-related stuff - such as Youth and Women's results - shown. You can even walk into AAMI after the women have played the first match of a double-header but can't see the result anywhere other than on your smart-phone.

Hopefully this sort of bullshit will change when the League runs itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hanz said:

Our team is the best it’s been in years but since CFG it doesn’t feel like the fans have any say/ownership in the club. Until this changes it will be hard to build a fan base. Unless they spend shitloads of money ok well known marquees...

The league as a whole is struggling, look at WSW they were massive a few years ago. Two seasons of Joyce and the loss of some fan favourites was the final straw for some. It will take time to bring them back unless they are lost to the league, because honestly WU are pointless and MV are trash.

• 1 month later...